Author Topic: FIXED: Unkillable trolls?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
FIXED: Unkillable trolls?
« on: February 26, 2003, 06:58:01 PM »
To aid me in the Keep I've cheated in _sw1h39 to deliver my finishing blows. And even though it clearly states it's conveying a point of fire damage, the downed trolls are not dying.

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 07:00:25 PM »
Okay, it seems that some require that they're hit multiple times with fire before dying. I managed to kill an ice troll in AR0119 with two hits from the Blade of Searing.

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 08:02:12 PM »
It would appear that downed trolls in IWD2 regenerate a bit faster than their counterparts in BG2. Let me know if it starts to get really annoying.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 09:48:50 PM »
On closer examination, it looks like they don't actually regenerate faster (or whatnot) it's that when they transform into their new form their hitpoints are not always 1. So you end up with an "almost unkillable troll" with 8 hit points.

One unrelated (well, related) possibility in my mind involves converting all +1 ELEM damage from BG2 to +1d6 ELEM damage (3e-style), at which this won't be quite as serious. Still, keep your eyes open for other things like this.

While there I noticed that some creature immunities were way off -- for example, ice trolls were immune to fire (!). Turned out to be a signed/unsigned error. Fixed.                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 09:55:43 PM »
One unrelated (well, related) possibility in my mind involves converting all +1 ELEM damage from BG2 to +1d6 ELEM damage (3e-style), at which this won't be quite as serious.
                   ...thus making the wielder of the Flail of Ages into the MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE. :)                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 10:05:21 PM »
And she wasn't before? :-)

Anyway, I know you haven't really had a chance to play IWD2 yet ... but I did that very conversion in my "bring bg2 items to iwd2" mod and Ages is not the most powerful item by any stretch. Apparently in 3e elemental damage is just easier to come by. Still, compare some of these IWD2 items:

Stunning Star of Speed: +5 enchantment, +2 attacks per round, 50% of stunning target (fort save).

Greataxe of Elemental Burst: +5 ench, +1d6 cold, 10% of +1d10 cold, +1d6 fire, 10% +1d10 fire, +1d6 elec, 10% +1d10 elec.

Club of Freezing Flames: +5 ench, +5/+5, 2d6 fire, 10% of +1d10 fire, 2d6 cold, 10% of +1d10 cold.

Why do all of the weapons look this mysterious? No idea, I'm no 3e guru. All IWD2 weapons seem to be either "the masterwork weapon of ultimate nothingness" or "the uber-god artifact that looks like it should slay the world but in fact is not all that great".                    

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2003, 11:51:29 PM »
Hello, its me again.  :P

Anyway, for your 3e needs, just visit Open Gaming Foundation

Btw, I play 3e pnp, so Im somewhat experianced at the rules. Never DMed a game before though.  ;)

Oh, one more thing, will the mos file interface be modified with some BG2 style icons like glowing skulls or the weird SoA pic? Because the only thing that needs to change is the loading and selection icons with the IWD2 icons.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2003, 01:13:27 PM »
Trolls now shift over with 1 hit point. IWD2 tends to immediately regenerate them up to 2, so you may need two whacks with the sword of flame. This is probably the best I can do.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: