Author Topic: Tactics Comments  (Read 1021 times)

Feran

Tactics Comments
« on: February 21, 2003, 09:23:39 AM »
To tell weimer forums

It gets annoying. I fear using my Celestial Fury so much, because that bastard Kuroisan appears and wastes my party in about a minute flat, and the bad thing is that he doesn't appear only during area transitions, but sometimes after you beat a hostile enemy, and you're still holding your Celestial Fury, he'll appear! (although this has only happened when fighting hostiles in cities, thankfully).

There was a comment in the README about invis'ing and buffing, but if you take too long to buff (i.e. you don't have some form of aura cleansing, and you don't have a lot of mages), you are pretty f*cked. Esp. since the globe of invulnerability spells are limited to the caster.

But I must admit, globes to prevent acidic backlashes are ingenious! (at least I thought so since I didn't think of it, and it's so very obvious and really adds to my HAH I CAN USE MY SWORD FREELY NOW desired future).

So perhaps now I can beat Kuroisan without a godcharacter, but as to the point of my post, I just wanted to comment that Kuroisan does indeed run away if you avoid him too long.

And just wanted to comment that, in Kensai-Ryu's Improved Copper Coronet, if you tell the hostile-trigger guard that you'll leave, and then kill him before he goes hostile (sadly easy), the extra guards never appear hehehheheheheh

Improved Sahuagin City -- A joke. For one, most of the enemies are in large groups, so you can cloudkill them all, the end. First I used cloudkill/icicle to kill everything but the Priestess fight for the cloak of mirroring. Then I Cloudkilled/icicle'd all of her little buddies, and when she summoned that damned avatar, I had it chase one of my characters all across the city while breach, thwack, she dies, take her cloak, everyone rendezvous at the hole to the Underdark, the end. I can kill the avatar yes, the usual way, but people get buggy after they are removed from the party, like Jaheira, and I don't want the romantic interest to get eaten.

'The old tactic of "cloudkilling from offscreen" should be harder to use.' -- If you have a spare sec, make it even harder! :P In a real life situation, they might have seen the direction of the spell and move to where the party is.

Improved Mae'var-- I like invisibility, and taking advantage of the following major facts:
1) The assassins' AI make them go after the PC/most injured/other obvious conditions, even if invisible, so use this to lure them away from Mae'var
2) After you pwn Mae'var, you can leave! And then do your usual divide and conquer/door cheese/etc. fun, or just not fight them at all :P

But overall, the attack/use invis potion is really annoying, and makes this fight quite difficult, unless you have some form of aura cleansing and decide to shoot out oracles like a machine gun (true sight doesn't dispel fast enough), and Mae'var's inspiring me to mislead myself far away and have every single one of my attacks (for mage/thief) do backstab damage seemed like a good idea!                    

jeremiah

Tactics Comments
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 12:20:56 PM »
I just went through Improved  Sahuagin with the latest Tactics.  At least cloudkill doesn't instakill them anymore so unless you want to use up at least 3 to 4 charges per group from the cloudkill wand, you are better off using other tactics.  Sometimes they heal themselves.

Best tactic so far has been to send in hasted summons and then while they waste their first called shots on these to have your fighters in their face right away.  The lead tank is better off using the shield of reflection.  Irritating thing about the priestess is that she casts death spell??? (an arcane not divine spell).

On the other hand, having gone thru the Sahuagin (winding up with 3,000 plus of their paralytic bolts) and with the unlimited bag of holding, it is now making a major portion of the underdark quite a cakewalk (drow, gauths,  mindflayers and kua toans, the imprisoned mage were all pansies with the bolts).  Only thing not getting stunned are the liches and big beholders (thought if you check the feedback, it states Stunned but they can still move about and attack so maybe buggy AI similar to charmed beholder attacking party if no command is given bug).

My one question is if you have any suggestions about the Improved Demon knights.  I beat them but only with protected from magic fighters (since buffs are dispelled at will might as well make sure they can't be panicked and hurt by fire).   With just the fighters and tough summons, those improved demon knights didn't last long at all (and only one level drained character).  Still was wondering if there is a better tactic.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: