Author Topic: Tactics improved small teeth pass problem  (Read 4143 times)

adam_2112

Tactics improved small teeth pass problem
« on: January 13, 2003, 04:22:44 AM »
I just installed the small teeth pass mod and when i went there the dragons are no where to be found the only creatures that i found are the ankhegs and a group of wolfweres.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 01:02:40 PM »
Had you already been there in your saved game before you installed the mod?                    

adam_2112

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2003, 11:26:54 PM »
Yes is that a problem.                    

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 09:30:00 AM »
Adam, if you went to the Small Teeth Pass, killed the Ankhegs and then saved your game this mod can't be used until you start a new game.  Your progress is included in your saved game files.  So, if you cleared out the map for area 1700, the game won't check to see if there are any changes to that area.  When you start a new game the mod will replace the original files.

However, if you visited Small Teeth Pass but did NOT save your game, I might be able to help.  BG keeps certain files in a cache.  So, when you visit an area a second time, the game checks the cache first and loads the area from the cache.  Note that reloading your saved game has little to no effect on the contents of the cache.  The cache is located on your hard drive here: C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SOA\Cache\Data (assuming a standard installation).  You could use Windows Explorer to get to that subdirectory and erase a file called AREA1700.bif.  This will force the game to check the override directory and load the mod area.  Basically, if you visited Small Teeth Pass and then installed the mod, the game will constantly load the version of Small Teeth Pass in your cache that features the ankhegs.  But, if you delete the cache file, the game will now load the version that features dragons.  Again, if you wiped out the ankhegs you'll have to start a new game to see the dragons.

I hope this helps.  Tell me what you think of Improved Small Teeth Pass.  This is a very simple mini-mod I ceated that takes a boring area that most people skip and makes it challenging.  With a lot of tactics and a little bit of luck, you should get some gold, red dragon scales to make armor and over 180,000xp from the monsters.                    

adam_2112

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2003, 09:52:17 AM »
I tried your fix but it did not work but I think I found the problem one of the mods I have makes you go to small teeth pass in chapter 2 but i have started a new game so I will tell you what I think of your mod in a day or two.                    

Mike B.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2003, 10:04:11 AM »
I designed Small Teeth Pass with the Weimer mods (Sola, Ascension, Ease of Use, Item Upgrade and Tactics) installed.  I don't use any other mods like TDD, Shadows over Soubar, etc.  So, if a non Weimer mod updates Small Teeth Pass, then my mod probably won't work.                    

adam_2112

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2003, 10:31:56 AM »
The mod that does it is the imoen romance mod and i do'nt think it changes it you just go there in a cutscene.                    

adam_2112

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2003, 06:15:37 PM »
I just tried and the purple dragon is manhandling me the second I get to the area the dragon's contingencys go off nothing i can't handle but  it uses it's breath weapon the problem is that it looks like it shoots about a dozen times and it kills my entire party except for my character and anomen.PS IF the puple dragon is supposed to be the lightning cromatic dragon you should chang the name to blue dragon.                    

Mike B.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2003, 10:04:02 PM »
I had fun with the purple dragon too.  The purple and brown dragons were added "as is"  That is, I just added them to Small Teeth Pass.  The TOB programmers coded up both monsters.  The brown dragon has his own breath weapon which is acid based and identical to the black's breath weapon.  You are correct, the purple dragon uses the blue's lightning based breath weapon.  If memory serves, the purple was a union of the red and blue dragons.  In PNP games, the purple's breath weapon was part fire and part electricty.  From a role playing perspective, simply assume this dragon has more blue dragon DNA than red dragon.  The programmers probably used the same logic when assigning breath weapons to the brown and purple.  Otherwise, your party would have to buff up and protect against two types of damage at the same time.

Try to summon help right away.  Some skeleton warriors, mordy swords, etc. may occupy the beast.  How about the level 4 teleport field spell?  This spell is a must have for this encounter.  While the dragon is being teleported randomly, your party is drinking potions, casting spells, etc.  Teleport field gives you time to set up your defenses.  Improved Haste, potions of speed and potions of strength make this battle much easier.

I assume you're playing with the difficulty slider set to CORE.  I can't imagine this fight at harder levels.  Don't let your ego stand in the way of fun.  I've had to set the slider down to the easy level for certain battles.                    

adam_2112

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2003, 02:36:23 AM »
I just beat a while ago that was the hardest dragon i fought execpt abazigal but they are both pretty even now on to the problems.I think the thing that making it look like it shoots it's breath weapon was because  anomen  had the cloak of reflection on and my character had the cloak of mirroring I guess it caused a loop.Another rather funny thing is when they use wing buffets it looks like they are spasing out and then they fall down as they blast you away maybe you can do something to make the less sucepteble to there own wing buffets.                    

[!--EDIT|adam_2112|Jan 17 2003, 11:20 PM--]

adam_2112

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2003, 03:49:17 AM »
I just remembered something else when you get to the area if you look in the messege bar you see red dragon say CHARNAME?CHARNAME? and red dragon attacks CHARNAME you cannot save until you kill him but if you leave the pass and go somewhere else it still says that and you cannot save until you kill the sob.Another thing is the purple dragons breath weapon lightning and fire based because i use two protection from electricity scrolls on all my party but the dragons breath still hurt albeit very minorly.                    

[!--EDIT|adam_2112|Jan 17 2003, 11:19 PM--]

adam_2112

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2003, 05:09:39 AM »
Are you going to add a conversation with firkragg if you make armor out of the scales from the red dragon and what type of armor would the scales of the brown and purple make.                    

Mike B.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2003, 02:24:31 PM »
I'll think about including some dialogue with firkraag.  I was more focused on the tactical challenge of facing three dragons in a short time.  The wing buffet was created by the programmers.  I'm not sure I could be change how the wing buffet functions.  Someone like Wes would have to do that. Finally, I'm not to worried about being unable to save until the dragons are dead.  Worst case scenario, you can always use Ctrl-Y.                    

adam_2112

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2003, 03:25:14 PM »
I do'nt know if you meant to do this or not but the red dragon you encounter in the improved wilderness encounters mod drops the exact same amount of gold and red dragon scales before your mod it only dropped around 2500 gold I'm not complaining 3 suits of red dragon armor is very helpful.                    

Mike B.

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2003, 06:28:19 PM »
Sigh... At least you saw the red dragon in the wilderness encounters!  After three full games, I never got the random wilderness red dragon.  Thus, I felt free to take that dragon, which was blatantly stolen from KR's random wilderness encounters mod (as discussed in the readme), and modify it.  I increased the gold and XP and then added the red dragon scales.  I assumed that most users wouldn't get that encounter either.  It's your choice to keep or sell the third set of scales.  I think you can sell them for about 600gp.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: