Author Topic: Question-protagonist gained powers-what are they?  (Read 3481 times)

Userunfriendly

Question-protagonist gained powers-what are they?
« on: December 03, 2002, 02:45:34 AM »
well. ive been reading a lot of stuff about focus and demon control, but i sorta did not read the journal very well the last time i beat ascention, i basically stuck with party abilites and powers i was familiar with...but i keep hearing about the special powers you get at the throne like demon control that sounds very cool...but tactically unless i get to read about the powers way before the final battles, i just cant plan strategy and tactics based on them....sorta like the "oooohhhh shiney ones!!!" approach to using them is simply not very smart...so i bet most people stick to their party's tried and true powers.

so here is a thread that people can read about the powers and what people think of them and how well they work...i mean at the throne, after you stop the first well, you get a bunch of new powers that people just are simply not going to use, since you have had no experience with them....it makes far more sense to be able to read about them, if you kind people will post information about the powers and your war stories about how well they work....an thus be able to plan a effective strategy in using them to their full effect.....

my next run thru of ascention, i really want to know what all those extra buttons do, and actually use some of them properly, instead of just relying on mage spells and well known and tested tactics...                    

Littiz

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 04:08:50 AM »
Focus....
With my kensimage's simulacrum I activated it, then one of Immie's clones
cast Time Stop, so the Simmie could chain this way SIX round of movement in
freezed time...
Cool, I thought :)                    

Userunfriendly

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 04:16:34 AM »
????????????????????????????????????

so what exactly does it do????

oh i see. it makes the user immune to time stop....

so the caster of the time stop and the focus active simmy can both do stuff...                    

Althernai

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 09:21:29 AM »
Focus is definitely the best one of them. A fighting character with immunity to Time Stop is a monster -- every attack hits, regardless of THAC0 and AC. Use in conjunction with Illusions for best effect.

Demon Control has mixed reviews. Cuv likes it (he suggested using it before the battle to get an army), but at least half of your Demons turn on you when Mel shows up. I never really used it because it seems so evil (and it takes too long and doesn't always works).

Dimension Door should be an excellent ability -- but I've found it utterly useless. Here is why: one would think that when you Dimension Door to a far off corner of the plane, your enemies would at least take some time to find you. No such luck -- the ones who were attacking you head straight for you no matter where you run. It buys you 3 seconds at most -- and you can get as far with Improved Haste+Boots of Speed (without wasting a valuable round for not casting a spell or drinking a Potion). The only use I see for it is if you were somehow boxed in by enemies.

The immunity to Imprisonment and Maze is nice, but meaningless -- all it means is that your enemies will not use these spells against you.  The immunity to death magic is also nice -- but unless you are playing on Insane and Mel calls down Fallen Solars, I am not sure who will use such attackes against you.                    

Userunfriendly

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 01:12:23 PM »
yeah, but there are a lot more innate buttons than that...what other goodies do you get???

besides, my pc is already timestop immune, imprison and maze immune... :unsure:  ;)  :o

what is the demon control ability called?

agree about focus and clones....while the game engine allows only one simmy, shapeshifted images can attack meelee...thus fighter mages are seriously overpowered.... :blink:  :rolleyes:  :D  :P  :o  :huh:                    

Kish

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2002, 06:30:13 PM »
besides, my pc is already timestop immune, imprison and maze immune... :unsure:  ;)  :o

what is the demon control ability called?
                   : shrug: Can't expect Ascension powers to be designed for hacked uber-characters.

The demon control ability is creatively called Control Demon.                    

Userunfriendly

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2002, 11:50:20 PM »
now the question is are the other powers worth getting at all?  it sure sounds like focus and control demon are it....

note, i once tried to control a pit fiend with a mind control circlet, no work, so i am kinda interested in the control demon...is it a single target spell, or like turn undead evil cleric version????

and are the other powers even worth the annoyance of having your innate spell button full of junk????

i really wish they would redo that part of ascention, so you can pick the powers you get, cause it sure sounds like most people, like me completely ignores most of the extra powers as annoying and just too many of them, and only use a few that are worth it....anything besides focus and control demon worth even using at all???

of course, most of the david g bhaal powers are really good powers, like draw on holy might, and such, and you get those with each trial with ascention anyway, so i bet people use them a heck of a lot more....                    

Kish

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2002, 11:57:46 PM »
now the question is are the other powers worth getting at all?  it sure sounds like focus and control demon are it....

note, i once tried to control a pit fiend with a mind control circlet, no work, so i am kinda interested in the control demon...is it a single target spell, or like turn undead evil cleric version????
                   Focus, Control Demon, Dimension Door, and a lot of immunities (which are always on and don't need to be activated).

Most people don't use Ascension powers besides those because there are none.

Control Demon works like a mage summoning an elemental--it takes you both out of the fight while you wrestle with the demon for control, and it is single-target.                    

Althernai

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2002, 12:26:52 AM »
There is also Unleash which does something like 10d12 damage, but it imposes a Casting Failure so I don't use it much because I mainly play with spellcasters. To really get the most of out of the Ascension powers, you have to be some kind of Warrior class -- they seem to impose penalties on casting but not on physical combat.

Note that Mel is completely immune to Magic Damage -- very annoying, don't bother using Unleash on her.                    

Userunfriendly

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2002, 02:34:51 AM »
so its unleash, focus, control demon, d door, and immunties??/

s funny, i seem to remember more...oh well.....

aside from focus and control, the powers you get from david g, like draw on holy might, mass heal, and regen, for evil choice, or dark taint seem a lot more useful...

regen is just killer...in fact, loading up about 3-5 regens in jahiera's spell slots before major scuffles really saved my butt lots of times....                    

Littiz

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2002, 05:05:11 AM »
Best use is with a fighter/mage imho
With Improved Alacrity you can use all of them at once, together with spells!

I used Dimension Door to chase Mel, she fled by a pool, behind a group of demons..                    

[!--EDIT|Littiz|Dec 4 2002, 01:07 PM--]

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: