Author Topic: Soula specific "Quests" (fights...)  (Read 11095 times)

KaPe

Soula specific "Quests" (fights...)
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2002, 02:35:37 PM »
UU - I remember your strategy with telly field... but it's not for me :D I just fight them face to face, "crushing them with steel"(remember that poll?^^) and it's possible to win w/o demi-god chars(like 50/50/50), by using assasination, imp haste, CH, pmw... And telly field is "not challenging enough". Sorry :rolleyes:
As for the sunfire - what kind of damage is it? I never used it, but I thought it's fire-based, and Eclipse party has 50+ fire res(ring+helm), so?                    

KaPe

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2002, 02:38:43 PM »
Ups, sorry, telly field was alsons idea... Somehow I thought it's yours, cause you are the "chees(e)master 2000".
Dragon breath vs wraiths? Aren't they immune to fire?                    

Userunfriendly

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2002, 08:03:03 PM »
wraiths are immune to cold, which suggests they are vulnerable to fire...

the eclipse party is mostly immune to fire?  oh well...

sunfire does without spell 50 15d6 of fire damage that completely bypasses magic resistance....

and i added a couple of "user" defined touches...with spell 50, they can go up to 40d6 fire damage....now the sunfire of doom is a 4 mage party, with 1 or 2 warriors with over 100% fire resistance....

each mage memorizes a triple sunfire in spell trigger, and rests, and several spell immunity...

so the situation is this, rest in the wood cottage, then step outside when dark, after each mage in party casts spell immunity evocation....

eclipse.,...after the funny dialog, every mage casts breach on closest eclipse party member...next round, pause and each triggers sunfire on self...

even without spell immunity evocation, sunfire protects you from fire damage for 3 seconds, so if each mage casts in the same paused instant, and no spell casting speed enhancers are equipped, in the same instant each mage is hit by the neighbor's mage's sunfire, they are completely immune to fire....

now if you do not have spell 50, at the points where every sunfire overlapps, you do 15d6x4x3 (4 mages, 3 sunfires in trigger) or

180d6 of fire damage that cannot be magic resisted....insta fry black and brown and blue dragons....

with spell 50, and a high level party, you can do OVER 400d6 damage....can you say super chunk????

with spell immunity evo, a second volley with chain contingency can be cast without fear of chunking edwin or aerie.....

unless eclipse is over 100 percent resistant to fire, they will die very very fast, almost instantly unless for some reason i cant breach them and they have prot from energy stacked..hhehehhehehehhehhe

and multiple dragons killed off the wraiths last time i played eclipse....                    

KaPe

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2002, 09:06:44 AM »
Hm, that's evil :D And I remember that I couldn't kill wraiths with fire based damage(db, comet, delayed fball)... Maybe it's spell-50 for you? Anyway, is that pure theory? Or are they already fried?                    

Userunfriendly

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2002, 12:33:29 PM »
not pure theory...

shade dragon took 2 mages, both level 30, i cheat,,,,,with triple sunfires, and died black and crispy...

wraiths i was able to kill with dragon breath, i think, or was it the abu's???

but the eclipse party should be vulnerable....

sequential sunfires of doom is one of the most evil tactics i have ever cheesed...but then i am the true author of the frag grenade and g deathblow supercheese...hehhehehehh :rolleyes:  :P  :lol:                    

Dashael

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2002, 05:19:29 PM »
I'm not opposed to complicated battles, and I loved the undead Solaufein dialog, but I think I agree with Kaylord if I understand the point that was being made.

I usually play on "Normal" difficulty level, frankly because I dispise permanently loosing my party members, and at that difficulty level most of the "quest" battles in the Sola romance don't seem to fit the overall game balance. Bodhi is an excellent example, if you have Mace of Disruption (+1 or +2) and/or Daystar in your possession and the presence of mind to have your clerics cast Neg. Plane Prot. then Bodhi's lair is a cake walk. The dialog from undead Sola doesn't detract from that overall vibe, but the combat tactics do. I won't say Undead sola should be as weak as any other vamped love interest (aren't they pathetic?) but he shouldn't be stronger than Bodhi.

It seems natural enough that those looking for a more challenging tactical battle in this dungeon would download Tactics and install Improved Bodhi.

Anyway, if possible, I support moving the tactical portion of Undead Sola (not the dialog, leave that alone :) into the Tactics module.

I'd also like to request, perhaps varied by difficulty level, less Revenge Spiders in the first encounter. And perhaps have the second encounter bring a Yochol, given Viconia romance establishes a precedent, instead of Revenge spiders. Yes I know there are perfectly sound strategies for fighting Revenge spiders, I still don't like them :)

Thanks for your time,
Dashael
(NOT a Revenge Spider fan)

PS: Regards the Eclipse Party: I'd be more inclined to want to fight them if I could actually use some of their weapons. I usually don't play evil parties, but if ever I do I'll be sure to trigger the Eclipse encounter and Ctrl+Y them for their +4 weapons :).                    

[!--EDIT|Dashael|Dec 11 2002, 09:24 AM--]

Kiki

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2002, 05:57:09 PM »
PS: Regards the Eclipse Party: I'd be more inclined to want to fight them if I could actually use some of their weapons. I usually don't play evil parties, but if ever I do I'll be sure to trigger the Eclipse encounter and Ctrl+Y them for their +4 weapons :).
Really? By the time you hit the Eclipse party, you've probably gotten a ton of goodies from Watchers Keep and should be turning your nose up in disdain at most +4 weapons. I didn't even bother looting the Eclipse corpses because everyone was already loaded down with +5 weapons and I had well over 100K in gold so had no need to pawn.                    

KaPe

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2002, 09:23:55 AM »
I was using Eclipse Avenger(or whatever is it called) in Ascension due to it's enormouse hp regeneration(with bloodbane as main weapon) And dual-wielding eclipse blades would probably make my char invincible(12hp/sec, with IH, they stack, right?). So, all those +5 weapons really can't compare(except for vorpals, of course) And blinding works on almost all opponents, making them completely helpless in meele (blind yaga-shura, anyone :rolleyes:  )                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2002, 12:05:51 PM »
I'd also like to request, perhaps varied by difficulty level, less Revenge Spiders in the first encounter.
This is already the case to some degree. If you are level 10 or less, you get 3. Otherwise you get 4. But I'll put an "or the difficulty is set on easy" clause in there.

I didn't even bother looting the Eclipse corpses because everyone was already loaded down with +5 weapons and I had well over 100K in gold so had no need to pawn.

The Eclipse weapons are severely over-powered compared to almost all weapons in the game. Only things like Fury, Ages, Ravager +6, Foebane and Magi can compete. 3 HP/sec regeneration is vastly non-trivial, the blindness stacks (-10 THAC0 each time), immunity to missiles, etc. Fortunately, you can't get them until right at the end of the game. :-)

my char invincible(12hp/sec, with IH, they stack, right?)

They do stack. They're 3 each, but with the IH bug you'd be 12/s total. Note that that's Radael's normal mode of operation. :-)                    

L_Jonté

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2002, 01:59:14 PM »
This is already the case to some degree. If you are level 10 or less, you get 3. Otherwise you get 4. But I'll put an "or the difficulty is set on easy" clause in there.

That reminds me, for some reason in my current game the revenge spiders focused completely on Kelsey.  The poor guy spent the entire battle at a dead run while everybody else chased after the spiders.  Strange that.   B)                    

Eocine

« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2002, 02:14:19 PM »
I think they're set to attack the guy with either the lowest AC or hitpoints.                    

Kish

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2002, 02:53:23 PM »
Worst AC.  Hit points are irrelevant when you're fighting a Revenge Spider.                    

Althernai

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2002, 03:00:16 PM »
Worst AC.  Hit points are irrelevant when you're fighting a Revenge Spider.
                   Which makes it so easy to have them go after a mage or sorc with Prot. from Magic Weapons... (unless it was changed since I last played).                    

Eocine

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2002, 03:00:36 PM »
Eh, knew it was one of them.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2002, 03:49:47 PM »
Just when I was sure that the BG2 "arms race" had escalated to the point where revenge spiders were mere speed bumbs on the road to bhaal-hood, I recently got another (these used to be much more common) piece of email suggesting that I tone down the RS encounters. So if you're living in fear of certain lolth-spawned arachnids, rejoice! You are not alone in your dislike.                    

Kiki

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2002, 04:40:20 PM »
That reminds me, for some reason in my current game the revenge spiders focused completely on Kelsey.  The poor guy spent the entire battle at a dead run while everybody else chased after the spiders.
Ostensibly it is Lolth sending the spiders, not a certain drow intent on getting rivals out of the picture. (snicker)

Oh yeah, the regeneration thing. Ascension might have been a wee bit easier if I'd remembered that little fringe benefit of those weapons. And how could I have forgotten the blinding feature, considering how half my party was reduced to THAC0s of 3000? Oops.                    

[!--EDIT|Kiki|Dec 11 2002, 04:40 PM--]

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: