Author Topic: Why can Improved Kangaxx do that?  (Read 4808 times)

Assassin

Why can Improved Kangaxx do that?
« on: November 03, 2002, 06:50:33 PM »
Geez, I was just playing Kangaxx, the Improved version.  I managed to take down his Lich form, no problem, then I noticed something: His Chain Contingency (assumably on 'See enemy') has Time Stop in it.  It is so unfair as to ride on broken.  I know, I know, he is a Demi-Lich, etc., but still, it is so unfair that he gets to do that :(  I mean, if I could do that, most enemies that used to be 'tough' would immediately change to 'a walk in the park'.                    

Userunfriendly

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2002, 07:14:43 PM »
liches have been chaining 9th level spells since soa tob has been out....

really,,,the original liches in soa chained 9th level spells too....                    

Koveras

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2002, 07:38:27 PM »
Yeah, except they had poor spell choices.                    

Althernai

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2002, 07:42:57 PM »
He is a Demi-Lich - it comes with the job. You will also notice that he casts Imprisonments (even originally) without the usual pause. I don't mind the rulebreaking in this instance - a Demi-Lich should be able to do some stuff that your regular casters can't do. Besides, once you prepare for the time Stop, it's not so bad.                    

Assassin

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2002, 09:38:06 PM »
He is a Demi-Lich - it comes with the job. You will also notice that he casts Imprisonments (even originally) without the usual pause. I don't mind the rulebreaking in this instance - a Demi-Lich should be able to do some stuff that your regular casters can't do. Besides, once you prepare for the time Stop, it's not so bad.
                   Okay, I have no problem about the Demi-Lich Howl, or the Imprisonments.  But still... Chaos in a Spell Sequencer, and Time Stop in a Chain Contingency?  

Then, I decide, heck, I'll just get Keldorn, have him with the Firetooth +4 to kill Kangaxx along with my Ranger/Cleric with his Sling of Everad +5.  No can-do.  He regenerates insanely fast.  Even when I CTRL-Q'ed him, and removed his Ring of Gaxx, he still regenerated something like 1 hp every 2 seconds.  Combine that with the Ring of Gaxx, and both of them, couldn't do anything at all to him.  Even with 3 hits with the Firetooth, and 2 hits for the Sling.

I really can't see a way past this other than a Dragon's Breath, or something like that.  I need a weapon that's ranged, and that's +4. Reason for that is his countless Remove Magics; None of my characters can go close to him. I could use a Spell Immunity: Abjuration, but then he'd just switch target lock (yes, it has happened before).  One character can't damage him enough to take him  down.   Of course, I could use a Scroll of Magic Protection, but I never really liked using them; they kind of take away from the fun of the game.  I mean, what's the point of trying to buff up for a battle with Mages in case you can just use a Scroll of Magic Protection?                    

Althernai

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2002, 10:00:01 PM »
Chaos in a Spell Trigger is completely legitimate - I think that's what it means when it says Sequencer (at least it would make sense).

I am not sure what you are talking about with respect to Regeneration - my Improved Hasted Cavalier killed him alone, with the Carsomyr +5 and nothing else. Have you tried Imporved Hasting your characters? It doubles the attacks per round parameter.

The obvious choice for a +4 weapon that is ranged is Melf's Minute Meteors - though I honestly don't understand why he is regenerating so fast. He is not particularly bright and will not switch targets if you have one character standing closest to him.

My only guess is that you have that annoying regeneration bug - it happened to me with Bodhi who regenerated around 90HP per round. If so, then you need some form of instakill - either Dragon's Breath or the Improved Mace of Disruption come to mind.                    

[!--EDIT|Althernai|Nov 4 2002, 06:00 AM--]

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2002, 10:07:50 PM »
While I don't particularly care about this "9th level spell in enemy chain contingency" thing (AD&D *so* needs the Golden Rule), I realize that it annoys a large number of people and I have been receptive to "bugfixes" of such things in the past (e.g., the Smarter Mages). If you want to email me a "fixed" version of the demilich script where he puts Wilting there instead of TimeStop or something, I'll look into it.                    

Assassin

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2002, 05:05:21 PM »
Chaos in a Spell Trigger is completely legitimate - I think that's what it means when it says Sequencer (at least it would make sense).

I am not sure what you are talking about with respect to Regeneration - my Improved Hasted Cavalier killed him alone, with the Carsomyr +5 and nothing else. Have you tried Imporved Hasting your characters? It doubles the attacks per round parameter.

The obvious choice for a +4 weapon that is ranged is Melf's Minute Meteors - though I honestly don't understand why he is regenerating so fast. He is not particularly bright and will not switch targets if you have one character standing closest to him.

My only guess is that you have that annoying regeneration bug - it happened to me with Bodhi who regenerated around 90HP per round. If so, then you need some form of instakill - either Dragon's Breath or the Improved Mace of Disruption come to mind.
                   And, pray me tell, who will go in to use the Mace of Disruption?  Since I only have pure Mages (and pure fighters), who can't dual, I can't use the Spell Immunity:Abjuration, Scroll of Undead doesn't work due to the Remove Magic.  Of course, I could use the Scroll of Magic Protection, but...                    

Userunfriendly

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2002, 08:46:30 PM »
"Since I only have pure Mages (and pure fighters), who can't dual, I can't use the Spell Immunity:Abjuration,"

Wtf!!!????

you have pure transmuter and fighter party???

wow, talk about a challenge, with no abby spells and wes improved mages....

buy a scroll of spell immunity from prominade, have your designated kangy killer up front, everyone else uses prot from undead way in the back, using helm of vilator to keep from expending scrolls, have kangy killer drink potion  in inventory via right click, then swap scroll with potion...

a fighter can  thus cast spell immunity abby...whack and you are good... :D  :P  B)                    

Althernai

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2002, 08:48:45 PM »
And, pray me tell, who will go in to use the Mace of Disruption?  Since I only have pure Mages (and pure fighters), who can't dual, I can't use the Spell Immunity:Abjuration, Scroll of Undead doesn't work due to the Remove Magic.  Of course, I could use the Scroll of Magic Protection, but...
Why can't your Cleric/Ranger do it? Or maybe Keldorn? Get him to focus on a mage, then come in with a few IMoD hits. It kills him really fast - usually by the fourth hit, he is gone. Hopefully, he will not switch targets in time. You could also go away and come back later - the whole idea of this is that a party of 12th level adventurers should not be able to kill a Demi-Lich as though he were a kobold.                    

Althernai

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2002, 08:51:02 PM »
Userunfriendly: that is a bug exploit - if you are going to do that, you might as well use the cheesy (but at least legal) Protection from Magic. Fighters should not be able to cast spells from scrolls.                    

Assassin

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2002, 10:15:48 PM »
Why can't your Cleric/Ranger do it? Or maybe Keldorn? Get him to focus on a mage, then come in with a few IMoD hits. It kills him really fast - usually by the fourth hit, he is gone. Hopefully, he will not switch targets in time. You could also go away and come back later - the whole idea of this is that a party of 12th level adventurers should not be able to kill a Demi-Lich as though he were a kobold.
                   I finally killed that bugger, thanks to Tashia's Melf's Minute Meteors, and the fact that the Demi-Lich didn't target the Fire Elemental.  Heck, what I eventually had to do was use a Scroll of Protection from Magic  :(

And yes, the Demi-Lich changes targets insanely fast.  More than once, Tashia ran in, to Haste, and was only in his view for about a second, before he targeted her with either an Imprisonment, or an Abi=Dazlim's horrid Wilting.

What I meant to say, before, is that my party is composed of pure fighters and mages, so none of them could use both the Mace and spell Immunity.                    

Althernai

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2002, 10:41:59 PM »
And yes, the Demi-Lich changes targets insanely fast.  More than once, Tashia ran in, to Haste, and was only in his view for about a second, before he targeted her with either an Imprisonment, or an Abi=Dazlim's horrid Wilting.
                   Hehe... but I don't think he will do that with Keldorn. I think he always targets spellcasters first - not too sure about this though. I tend to wait until I come back from the Underdark to do this - the ring is nice, but there are 3 potential Rings of Preservation +2 in Ch 3 and they are enough for me. What level is your party?                    

Assassin

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2002, 10:47:24 PM »
Hehe... but I don't think he will do that with Keldorn. I think he always targets spellcasters first - not too sure about this though. I tend to wait until I come back from the Underdark to do this - the ring is nice, but there are 3 potential Rings of Preservation +2 in Ch 3 and they are enough for me. What level is your party?
                   There are? I know of 2, but where is the other Ring of Protection +2, and the Ring of Regeneration?

Meh, my party consists of: level 12 Kensai, level 9/11 Ranger/Cleric, level 13 Shapeshifter, and Tashia, level 12.  Respectable, but nothing spectacular.  

By the way, thanks to everyone for your help :)                    

Althernai

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2002, 11:23:28 PM »
Ring of Protection +2: Aran Linvail, comes together with the Amulet of Power. Ring of Regeneration: pick pocket Ribald. Matched sets (both): Cheesy Gnome Illusionist, Dwarf among the Guardians of Kangaxx. That adds up to 3. Later, you can get another one: Ring of Regeneration from Riddles at Spellhold (or from Sola), Ring of Protection +2 off of the corpse of Improved Bodhi.

As to your party... well, too many Cleric/Druid types for my taste, but it'll do. BTW, if you picked up Keldorn just for this fight, couldn't you also pick up Korgan who is immune to Imprisonment while enraged? He is not proficient in Maces, but I think you could count on him hitting enough times to kill the thing. Or are you morally repelled by Korgan to such a degree that you refuse to use him at all?                    

Assassin

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2002, 07:54:43 AM »
Ring of Protection +2: Aran Linvail, comes together with the Amulet of Power. Ring of Regeneration: pick pocket Ribald. Matched sets (both): Cheesy Gnome Illusionist, Dwarf among the Guardians of Kangaxx. That adds up to 3. Later, you can get another one: Ring of Regeneration from Riddles at Spellhold (or from Sola), Ring of Protection +2 off of the corpse of Improved Bodhi.

As to your party... well, too many Cleric/Druid types for my taste, but it'll do. BTW, if you picked up Keldorn just for this fight, couldn't you also pick up Korgan who is immune to Imprisonment while enraged? He is not proficient in Maces, but I think you could count on him hitting enough times to kill the thing. Or are you morally repelled by Korgan to such a degree that you refuse to use him at all?
                   Well, seeing as I'm Lawful Good, and I could never stand Korgan, who is Chaotic Evil, yes, you could say that I'm morally against having him into my party.                    

raven

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2002, 02:16:30 PM »
Well, if you "specifically" make a situation that can't beat Kangaxx, then it's not the game's problem. I mean, it's like asking a solo pure fighter how to beat Kangaxx...

And if you ask me, chaining a Timestop is far better than infinite instant imprisonment with constant Improved Aclarity....                    

[!--EDIT|raven|Nov 5 2002, 10:17 PM--]

Assassin

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2002, 04:29:21 PM »
Well, if you "specifically" make a situation that can't beat Kangaxx, then it's not the game's problem. I mean, it's like asking a solo pure fighter how to beat Kangaxx...

And if you ask me, chaining a Timestop is far better than infinite instant imprisonment with constant Improved Aclarity....
                   Erm... I didn't make it up.  The party that I had didn't have one that could wield the Mace, and cast Spell Immunity...                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: