Author Topic: Ascension and Mages  (Read 4057 times)

Eocine

Ascension and Mages
« on: October 02, 2002, 02:26:00 AM »
Has anyone ever finished the asencion mod using only Mages and Sorcerors? And does anyone think it's possible? By mages I don't mean Kensai duall classed to mages, more like a party consisting of;

PC Mage
Kelsey
Tashia
Aerie (Multi Mage/Cleric but still only a spell slinger)
Edwin
Nalia (yes dual classed but at a really low level)

I ask becase I'm thinking of trying and want to know if there is even a possiblity of success.                    

Althernai

Ascension and Mages
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2002, 08:42:26 AM »
To start with, Ascension heavily favors PC warriors (notice that the vast majority of the gained abilities give a Miscast Magic percentage but absolutely no penalties to THAC0 or AC or anything a warrior would find useful).

In answer to your question, people have done it soloing a mage or a sorcerer so yes, it's doable.

The closest I've come to what you describe is my all-Bhaalspawn party:

PC Sorcerer
Imoen
Sarevok

Only one fighter (granted, the best one in the game). It was doable on Core, although I did use many, many Planetars.

It should be possible to do with the party you suggest - Edwin, Kelsey, Tashia and the PC Mage means a whole lot of nasty level 8/9 spells. However, you'll probably what to use quite a few summons. Also remember that you get Balthazar or Bodhi for free if you play your cards right so you will have one dependable creature capable of striking with +4 enchantment (I warn you now, Planetars only strike as +3, so creatures immune to +3 weapons will not be hurt by them).                    

[!--EDIT|Althernai|Oct 2 2002, 03:44 PM--]

Dyara

Ascension and Mages
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2002, 09:26:14 AM »
Thinking of 18 abi-dalzims inside of 6 chain contingencies or 6 simulacrums ;) ...                    

thecursed

Ascension and Mages
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2002, 05:16:28 AM »
think of a (very) high number of comets and dragon breaths. i did try an (almost) all mage party but not in ascension (i don't have it i'm just browsing to see if it's any good from what i hear)

PC: sorcerer
imoen
tashia
solafein
aerie
and Sarevok
( indispensable to keep the baddies occupied while the others fry 'em)

Eocine

Ascension and Mages
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2002, 04:31:11 PM »
I just started the game and I'm going to give it ago with out using summoned creatures, improved Iliych promises to be a real bitch with just me and Imoen.                    

Assassin

Ascension and Mages
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2002, 10:07:56 PM »
Actually, imagine the Project Image cheese you could use here: Have all of the Mages memorize as many Planetars and Mordekenians Swords, leaving 1 slot for Project Image and 1 slot for Improved Alacrity.  4 x 6 Mages (and 4 Planetar slots is really just the minimum- Sorcerers have 5, and Edwin has 6) is 24 Planetars. Add in 24 Mordekenians Swords o_o.  Just make sure you cast Improved Alacrity before your summoning spree, or your Project Image won't last long enough -_-;;                    

Kemkon

Ascension and Mages
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2003, 12:12:29 PM »
For the party mentioned by Eocine, that is 29(!!!) Planetars, Now if you also do it with the ORIGINAL mages that is 58 planetars...

That and haste and mass invisibility (will be dispelled anyway, but...) With stoneskin and other protection spells in a chain contingency (set to "See Enemy") And Then, SEQUENTIAL SUNFIRES OF DOOM WITH 12 MAGES!!!

And last but not least, shapechange mindflayer!

Now you have 58 summons, 7 tanks (your mind flayers and balthazar), 6 mages, 1 cleric (aerie counts as mage and cleric)  AND every enemy that is weak vs. fire is down to at LEAST  near-death...

Trust me, you can do it.  B)  :)  :lol:  :D  :P  

T.G.Maestro

Ascension and Mages
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2003, 12:21:48 PM »
Trust me, you can do it
You just have to decide weather you have the guts for this kind of powergaming, or not <_< .

Kemkon

Ascension and Mages
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2003, 09:57:26 PM »
Well, going with all mages, it's hard to resist! The "NonPowerGaming" party can NOT be only mages. It is very hard to not powergame with all mages...

T.G.Maestro

Ascension and Mages
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 11:02:09 AM »
Very hard, but not impossible. If you do some role-playing with EACH party members and let them specialize in different types of arcane magic (instead of going for the same spells and techniques like triple Horrid Wiltings, Sunfires and such).

Rastor

Ascension and Mages
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2003, 09:27:40 PM »
For the party mentioned by Eocine, that is 29(!!!) Planetars, Now if you also do it with the ORIGINAL mages that is 58 planetars...

Actually, you'd only be able to get 30, max.  Remember that non-images cannot have more than 1 planetar per party.  30 is still enough to do the trick, though.

It's doable, definitely.

Leslie

Ascension and Mages
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2003, 03:32:01 PM »
The closest I've come to what you describe is my all-Bhaalspawn party:

PC Sorcerer
Imoen
Sarevok

Only one fighter (granted, the best one in the game). It was doable on Core, although I did use many, many Planetars.
Interesting. I once also played all-Bhallspawn party which consisted of PC Cavalier, Imoen and Sarevok whom I dual classed at level 20 to mage !
His fighter class got activated just before the final fight, actually in the middle of the Ravager fight.
Why you ask ?
Because if he gets hit on insane it's like 40-70 dmg and after 2 hits he must be healed. Stoneskins and PFMW helped keeping him alive.
I used all his spell slots for PFMW and also 5 scrolls of PFMW during the fight !

My Cavalier had with ascension bonus of 25% physical resistance, Armor of Faith (25%), Defender of Easthaven (20%) and Hardiness (40%) - 110% physical resistance.
That's why he was able to keep up with those crazy Bhaalspawns.

I beat Ascension on Insane and I never abused PI summon trick.

I started the fight with 4 skeleton warriors and one planetar.

And reloaded a couple of times ... ;)
Must have been 5 or 6 attempts IIRC.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: