Author Topic: NPC compatibility  (Read 2169 times)

Koson

NPC compatibility
« on: August 31, 2002, 03:57:45 PM »
As far as I've understood, Valen rejects Aerie, Anomen, Keldorn & Mazzy. I have an objection to this, partially: why Anomen? The others I understand: blatantly goody-two-shoes, how could she get along with them? But Ano? He's neutral, for God's sake! She could allow LN Anomen while keeping an eye on him, while CN Anomen should be just fine with her. As a CN NPC (one who hates the Radiant Order) he is more acceptable than say, Valygar or Nalia. Sir Anomen, yes, he's definitely not a vampire's buddy, but once he gets the Sir and changes alignment IMHO should the incompatibility issue arise, not before. Or is the "taint" of the Order so strong Valen can't stand it, even though we're talking about an doubtful aspirant / bitter rejected former would-be member? :unsure:

And another thing: why is Minsc not among the rejected? I mean, his racial enemy are vampires, how could he party with one (not drink & have fun at an inn :P , but travel together, help each other out and aim for the same goals)? Although she may not know it, he ought to recognize her for what she is and attack on sight. Any thoughts on this?                    

Homunculus

NPC compatibility
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2002, 04:29:53 PM »
The good / neutral Clerics are mostly party gameplay concerns, I think. Unless you're really on the ball, the first time you hit any iteration of Anomen's "Turn Undead" button in ToB with Valen hanging around nearby, you'll be left with sad little chunks of vampire to scoop into a family-size jar.

Minsc has been mentioned before (if I can find where, I'll edit in a link to the particular discussion).

Edit: Voila! Obsolete URL removed The topic begins discussing Protection from Undead, but mutates halfway into a Minsc debate.                   

[!--EDIT|Homunculus|Aug 31 2002, 11:34 PM--]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 12:01:14 PM by jcompton »

Koson

NPC compatibility
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2002, 05:36:12 PM »
Yeah, I've read that topic, but I was left with the impression that Minsc should / will acknowledge Valen for what she is and not stand her for long, so...

And getting back to Ano, I hardly ever use "Turn Undead", so that wouldn't be such an issue, although it might be just me - it's indeed an usefull little thing to have at high levels. Still, don't consider CHAR_NAME's fellows morons -] neutral Anomen (or TN Viconia, for that matter, or a non-evil PC cleric) knows his party members and is not likely to turn Valen while fighting back to back with her, for no other reason than he'd get his back unprotected should he do it, and although chaotic he's not suicidal (aka the player has the choice of keeping Valen waay back, fighting in five AND turning or fighting in six AND not turning).

The fact is, although all this compatibility issues can be explained one way or another (good / neutral clerics can turn Valen, Minsc is so dumb he doesn't realize 1+1=2), they don't make sense. Shouldn't they?                    

Kish

NPC compatibility
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2002, 07:31:52 PM »
I thought...wait...yes, her it is, in Section III of the ReadMe.

Valen will leave the party if Anomen, Aerie, Keldorn or Mazzy are ever in
it. Well, non-CN Anomen anyway. What were you expecting?
So apparently she will, or at least is supposed to, get along with CN Anomen.  If she left the party with CN Anomen in it, it's a bug (either a bug in the mod or a bug in the ReadMe).                    

reiella

NPC compatibility
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2002, 12:23:35 PM »
Out of curiosity though, are your party mages morons when they cast sunfire and someone else in your party gets hit?  Or for that matter any of the other area effect spells that can harm your allies.

Simply, those characters, Aerie, Anomen, Keldorn, and Mazzy are the most Pious characters in the game.                    

Koson

NPC compatibility
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2002, 10:05:00 AM »
Out of curiosity though, are your party mages morons when they cast sunfire and someone else in your party gets hit?  Or for that matter any of the other area effect spells that can harm your allies.

Simply, those characters, Aerie, Anomen, Keldorn, and Mazzy are the most Pious characters in the game.
                   1. If it's an accident, no, they are not morons - if they do it on purpose though it's a different matter.

2. CN Anomen is a most Pious chracter? Maybe in your game, for in mine he certainly isn't!                    

reiella

NPC compatibility
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2002, 11:18:56 AM »
CN Anomen isn't rejected.

IF
    InParty("Valen")
    InParty("Anomen")
    OR(2)
        Alignment("Anomen",LAWFUL_GOOD)
        Alignment("Anomen",LAWFUL_NEUTRAL)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        StartDialogueNoSet(Player1)
END

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: