Author Topic: Bug ?  (Read 1922 times)

Yoho

Bug ?
« on: August 13, 2002, 12:56:50 PM »
(I do not know how to report bug 3 : what information do you need ?)

I'm trioing (is this a correct word ?) with my evil-aligned entropist PC, Korgan and Valen : they do a very good job together. However, Vampire Hunters come as I am in Nalia's Castle (the biggest room in the center of the first level). While here, I noticed several things :
1) (minor bug :() Valen destroy trolls before Korgan and they disappear completely (My game is paused automatically when opponent is destroyed) for a short period of time. Then, they appear again, falling, and you have to use Acid or Fire to kill them. What is strange is the short period of time without troll : is it fixable ?
2) (question :huh:) Since the time I took Valen in my team, I had no difficulties to crush any ennemy (I've done every Akhthala quests, Asylum and Trademeet) with my three characters. But when hunters are coming (at Nalia's Castle), they seem really overpowered compared to the other kind of ennemies i've already fought.  Don't you think the challenge is a bit difficult (especially when you only have two characters trying to protect the third who is attacked by six powerful opponents) ?
3) (bug ? :o) Valen is killed while in mist form by hunters : she is not destroyed.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Bug ?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2002, 01:46:24 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to report these "bugs".

1) (minor bug :() Valen destroy trolls before Korgan and they disappear completely (My game is paused automatically when opponent is destroyed) for a short period of time. Then, they appear again, falling, and you have to use Acid or Fire to kill them. What is strange is the short period of time without troll : is it fixable ?

Game engine bug. IE treatment of trolls is pathetic. Not fixable.

2) (question :huh:) Since the time I took Valen in my team, I had no difficulties to crush any ennemy (I've done every Akhthala quests, Asylum and Trademeet) with my three characters. But when hunters are coming (at Nalia's Castle), they seem really overpowered compared to the other kind of ennemies i've already fought.  Don't you think the challenge is a bit difficult (especially when you only have two characters trying to protect the third who is attacked by six powerful opponents) ?

No. See the README, but basically you now have to pay for the fact that Valen was so powerful earlier. You've never had any problems killing vampires, have you? Why should they?

Ask around if you need tactical help with them.

3) (bug ? :o) Valen is killed while in mist form by hunters : she is not destroyed.

Killed but not destroyed? Is that like "destroyed" but not "buried"? (Sorry, off-topic pun). Anyway, any time Valen dies but does not suffer "the final death" (where she is removed from your party) is a game engine bug. I wish I could do something about it, but I can't.

I will make these things more explicit in the "known bugs" portion of the README, but basically limitations of the infinity engine prevent me from doing anything about them. If Valen dies but does not disappear for good, either kick her out (if you feel like roleplaying) or have her raised from the dead and carry on.

reiella

Bug ?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2002, 02:09:04 PM »
More specifically, the troll double death is caused from level draining (it will also occur with Blackrazor).

Surviving the hunters by all means seems to be more important of where they get summoned.  There's only one large 'outdoor' area you can have them occur, and that's the Underdark.  In Chapter 6 you can get back down to the Underdark however just by running through the warzone again.  That gives you space to work with at least.  Or you can be cheesy like me and run valen into an room where she can close the door before the hunters catch up with her (drink an oil of speed or cast Imp Haste on her, she'll jet for a lil while).  The hunters will still fixiate on her even though they can't get to her, then you only have to worry about the summoned devas etc.

The mistform bug is just simply part of how the engine handles the occurance, she's practically immune to everything while in Mistform.  And her scripts aren't run or checked when she's dead.  Hmm, is it possible maybe to add a check in the global baldur.bcs script if valen is dead, remoe valen from party?                    

Yoho

Bug ?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2002, 02:52:39 AM »
See the README
Yes, I did. The only tactic mentioned is taking place in the underdark
she's practically immune to everything while in Mistform
You mean she's not supposed to die while in mistform ? (which would be somewhat logical : how do you fight against mist with swords ?)
Killed but not destroyed?
Sorry for my english (i'm french), i took this term from the Mass of disruption that "destroys undead".
If Valen dies but does not disappear for good, either kick her out (if you feel like roleplaying)
Yes, i don't like reloading dozens of times to kill/destroy an opponent but I think loosing Valen this way is a bit unfair
or have her raised from the dead and carry on
I've done that but I wish she had suffered from his meeting with hunters.  

Hey ! something comes into my mind :rolleyes:  : Valen is not supposed to be brought back to life but is it possible to trigger some actions when she is ? In this case, perhaps she could have a dialogue, loose some experience, some levels, her claws, whatever... (I remember that Minsc was speaking about being always in the front line as I brought him back to life)                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: