Author Topic: Improved Random Encounters (bug?)  (Read 3841 times)

reiella

Improved Random Encounters (bug?)
« on: July 27, 2002, 05:42:32 PM »
Is it intentionally for the improved random encounters to all be tagged as Summoned Creatures and fall down dead instantly to Death Spell?

Thought it might just be luck on the saves, but for the past 8 encounters with them, they all fell down dead, everyone in the range, no exception.                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 07:07:58 PM »
At a guess I'm going to say it's because from a game mechanics point of view they ARE summoned creatures, they're summoned by an invisible trap. But it does seem like from a storytelling POV that's a bad thing.                    
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

reiella

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2002, 08:14:27 PM »
Hmm, well the Guard traps for low rep don't die from Death either, not sure if they use the same type of trap trigger however.                    

reiella

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2002, 05:54:34 AM »
Think yas right jcompton, just noticed the improved mind flayers (and possibly the original/old ones) suffer from this condition as well, although it's alot harder to occur for them since they have Magic Resistance (which gets checked before the instant summon death I learned :).

Although I know Devas/Planetars and a couple other Not HLA summons don't suffer this difficulty, hmm wonder what else might die off this...                    

Blucher

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2002, 11:28:52 PM »
It's because they are low level creatures/characters.  Death Spell kills low level and summoned creatures instantly.                    

reiella

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2002, 05:34:01 AM »
Hmm, that does make sense, out of curiosity, how does the game determine how many HitDice something has?  Closest thing I can tell is the level field (although for PCs that should still be limited to 9).                    

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2002, 06:20:23 PM »
There's a also a field in the .cre file that affects Death Spell, I believe.  If the .cre's race is set to "SUMMONED" then they are susceptible to the spell.  If they're set as something else, it won't work.                    
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2002, 10:40:40 PM »
Hmm, that does make sense, out of curiosity, how does the game determine how many HitDice something has?  Closest thing I can tell is the level field (although for PCs that should still be limited to 9).
Every CRE in the game has three "level" values: one for its first (primary class) and two others for dual/multi classes. In general, only the primary one is used. The others can be used for class-specific effects (e.g., a cleric/mage will use the second level field when casting mage spells). Even if a monster CRE does not have a "traditional class" like "fighter" or "mage" it still has level values. If the first one is low, Death Spell will kill it (even if it is not Summoned). Basically, the primary level field is the "hit dice" rating of the monster.

Nota bene: this is completely unrelated to the hit point value of the monster. You can have a 4 hit-dice (= "level 4") monster with more than 4*8 HP before a CON bonus, since the HP and levle fields are set independently.

Trivia: The primary level field is also the important one for death by level drain (you'll notice this if you have Valen around for a long time).                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: