Author Topic: Another look at WEIGHT  (Read 6828 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Another look at WEIGHT
« on: July 02, 2004, 10:38:26 PM »
I've been trying to think of an easier way to explain weighting and the mechanics of the BG2 DLG engine. This is the result.

Okay. Imagine that you had a shopping list, and you sent your husband to the store to fulfill it.

But imagine that your husband was absent-minded/an idiot, and would simply read the list from top to bottom, buy the first thing he found, and come home.

That is how the BG2 dialogue engine works. When you say "Game, run me a dialogue from this file" the game evaluates the state triggers (which look like IF ~InParty("Jaheira")~ or IF ~Dead("Imoen2")~ or IF ~Global("HadThisDialogueAlready","GLOBAL",0)~) and the first one it sees that is true, it selects.

Normally, it looks at a DLG from top to bottom: that is, as you would see the state triggers from the top of the list to the bottom of the list if you were to open the DLG in Infinity Explorer or open the .d from WeiDU or so forth.

What WEIGHT lets you do, however, is say "No, wait. See the fifth item on the list, honey? That's the MOST IMPORTANT item, so look for that one FIRST. Yes, I KNOW it's not at the top of the list, but look at the weight numbers next to it instead of top-to-bottom, okay?"

So a low WEIGHT number (0) gets higher priority than a high weight number (100).

So if you're making a new conversation for an existing DLG (adding an item to an old shopping list) and you wanted to make sure it got PRIORITY, you would WEIGHT it with -1. That says "Honey, yes, I know this item is at the bottom of the list, but it's -1, see, it's the MOST IMPORTANT, so if you buy just ONE THING at the store--and I know you will--make it THAT, if they have it."
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Smoketest

• Planewalker
Re: Another look at WEIGHT
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 10:00:23 PM »
Minor point: if you later decompile this modified DLG, your weight of #-1 will be shown as #0, with all previously existing, and newly specified, weights incremented accordingly.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 10:37:28 PM by Smoketest »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: