Author Topic: A Beginner's Guide to NPC creation with WeiDU  (Read 314194 times)

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
Re: A Beginner's Guide to NPC creation with WeiDU
« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2007, 03:01:30 PM »
What's his default script? DEFAULT.bcs or INITDLG.bcs? If it's DEFAULT.bcs or None, the pc is going to have to start the ball rolling with the dialogue. If that doesn't work, is it possible you didn't assign his scripts and dialogue file correctly? *or* it's also possible that there is something wrong with his first dialogue block.

Start with the obvious: open your CRE in the override with NI and verify that your dialogue file, override script, default script, script name or DV, and everything else are assigned correctly. If they are, then the problem is with the first block of dialogue.

Offline blue_frost17

• Planewalker
« Reply #251 on: January 19, 2007, 08:42:59 PM »
(Laughs maniacally) IT IS ALIVE! :D

VONDO LIVES!

It works! Thank you! Thank you so very much!

I didn't compile the dialog scripts right, but problem solved and IT WORKS!!!

(Takes deep breath) Now, my ascension to Godhood has begun! ;)

muffin-tacos

« Reply #252 on: March 11, 2007, 05:49:47 AM »
Hi!  :)

I happen to be stuck on the CRE file stuff. I've done my charecter in ShadowKeeper, saved it in the CHR file and now I don't know what to do. And what is worst, I don't understand NearInfinity! So I'm really stuck here... can somebody explaine how NearInfinity works and how I'm supposed to save my NPC file and explain the CRE stuff more because I don't understand anything about it.
I'm really lost here  :(

So PLEASE contact me soon.
Reach me by my e-mail address: hallowini_99@hotmail.com and I don't want any random people writing to me that aren't saying anything useful that can help me (like sending me adverts and crap like that).

Looking forward to help!
See ya soon  :pirate

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #253 on: March 11, 2007, 06:58:40 AM »
I had a problem using NI exclusively for this purpose, as I'm a borderline technophobe.

I used ShadowKeeper to edit my CHR to suit my purposes, then used ShadowKeeper to convert the CHR to a CRE. But that isn't the end of the process.

After that, I used NI to remove the "export allowed" flag, change the ally/enemy field to Neutral-128.

Most of the time, I don't bother assigning the portraits/dialogue files/override script/script name(DV) with NI because I do that in the tp2.

NI allows you the convenience of using one program to do all these things, but for some reason, my brain has an easier time accepting the three-step process.

Offline Lu

• Planewalker
« Reply #254 on: March 11, 2007, 06:54:08 PM »
[...] After that, I used NI to remove the "export allowed" flag, change the ally/enemy field to Neutral-128
  You may also need to check (and correct) Morale, Morale Recovery, and Morale Break fields in the .CRE file, IIRC

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #255 on: March 11, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Yeah, I guess you do! After all , an NPC is not <CHARNAME>.

Offline Discord

• Planewalker
« Reply #256 on: March 16, 2007, 05:39:05 PM »
Kind of a stupid question, but I'm new at this:

When you write the follow up dialogue for when the PC returns to talk to Vondo after rejecting him in the first meeting, do you put that into the original ".d" file from the first meeting dialog, or do you make a whole new file?

Thanks!
Kadreyel NPC
www.freewebs.com/kadreyel
A new NPC mod with a mission.

Coming soon(er or later)
[/size]

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #257 on: March 16, 2007, 06:59:05 PM »
All conversations which take place before a character has ever joined should go in the same DLG resource. It's only after an NPC has been in the party that the B/P/J dialogues start being used.

So the answer to your question is "yes, put them in the original file" but more specifically "put them under the same DLG resource" since one .d file can create multiple DLGs.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Kendo Khan

• Cynically Ideallistic Reallist
  • Planewalker
  • Fate is not given, but earned.
« Reply #258 on: April 17, 2007, 08:52:57 PM »
ok, I have no idea what I am doing with this, and dont want to deal with the hassle of ALL of your steps. (I know they were easy, but I am fairly lazy and can't code past xhtml) If I just wanted to get a new, custom NPC into my game on my comp, would it work to go through steps I and II and then using the CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("xxxxxx") to summon my new NPC and have them join? Thanks.
The gods do not doom you. The spirits do not doom you. The fabric of reality itself does not to doom you. Life does not doom you. You are doomed by your own failure to act. Remember: If all the world's a stage then there is an audience out there and that we should give them a good show. Remember: True immortality is only achieved by becoming more than what you started life as, to become a legend.

Offline ZenOfAnger

• Planewalker
« Reply #259 on: June 03, 2007, 11:19:31 AM »
Sorry for a noobish question, but once you convert the CHR to CRE, where do you save it?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #260 on: June 03, 2007, 11:24:16 AM »
Wherever you like. Usually (by default) it is in {BG2 directory}/characters after conversion, if you were converting a .chr file from there.

If you've a mod half-ready, then in the {mod directory}/Cre  is the best place.

Offline flameswing

• Planewalker
« Reply #261 on: August 27, 2007, 08:18:46 AM »
Ok...sorry to revive an old post...but...i have tried every way i could think of to fix this.

I have my basic NPC in the game, all fine and lovely...but i tested the booting her out of the party bit...after i remove her from the party, she doesn't start the "why are you booting me?" dialog, and my player character goes to speak to her and gets "Varsa has nothing to say to you."
Could anyone possibly think of why this may be?
Yes, it's in the *P.d file, and yes i have WeiDu appending it into the pdialog.2da file, which it seems to do fine.

Cheers guys.  :)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #262 on: August 27, 2007, 08:33:49 AM »
Please, post your *p.d filename, *p.d contents and the relevant lines from pdialog.2da in a separate thread in Modding Q&A forum.

« Reply #263 on: September 26, 2007, 05:07:27 PM »
I have a couple questions

A basic combat script for them to use would be WTASIGHT.bcs, or WTARSGT.bcs for ranged weapons.   I didn't see any option on NI that said combat script....where exactly do you put this?

Also, I read something about an npc override script. I understand what your supose to write but,
does it go in the folder created for all the files such as cre... etc.?

I followed the tutorial but part of my npc script isn't working. The kick out and rejoin. Its acting
like it doesnt know the npc joined so it can't start the dialogue. I looked in SK and there isn't any
global variables stating that the npc joined or even exists. I don't know what to do at this point.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #264 on: September 27, 2007, 01:06:43 AM »
Check all steps have been performed: you've written your P file for kicking out and rejoining, you've appended your dialogue files to interdia.2da and pdialog.2da, your variables are functioning correctly(see any working mod, say, Kelsey or Xan for examples of functioning variables).

You can put WTASIGHT/WTARSGT to any slot; CLASS or RACE script will function fine. With your override script, I recommend first compile it and put it to the override, then open your .cre via NI and write your OVERRIDE script name there.

Don't forget your NPC's script name/death variable(how the game will call him or her): it should be in SCRIPT NAME(I think) field.

Modding Q&A is the best section to deal with these questions. Also, chances are it's already been asked and answered, so Search function might be helpful.

Offline Vogonvor

• Mild BG2 Obsession
  • Planewalker
« Reply #265 on: December 21, 2007, 04:50:13 PM »
OK i followed the instructions, editing names and the like I fixed some errors with the dialogue easily enough but it comes up with:

FATAL ERROR: Sys_error<"dialog.tlk: Permission denied">

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to make it work?

Thanks
Vogonvor<br /><br />(Ben H.)<br /><br />"Down the highway, down the tracks, down the road to ecstasy,<br />I followed you beneath the stars, hounded by your memory<br />And all your ragin' glory." - Bob Dylan<br /><br />http://vogonvorlan.deviantart.com/

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #266 on: December 22, 2007, 01:08:51 AM »
Don't install the mods with BG2/other BG-related utilities(ShadowKeeper, Infinity Explorer) running in the background.

Offline Vogonvor

• Mild BG2 Obsession
  • Planewalker
« Reply #267 on: December 22, 2007, 02:20:33 AM »
Thanks
Vogonvor<br /><br />(Ben H.)<br /><br />"Down the highway, down the tracks, down the road to ecstasy,<br />I followed you beneath the stars, hounded by your memory<br />And all your ragin' glory." - Bob Dylan<br /><br />http://vogonvorlan.deviantart.com/

Offline Foodthing

• The foodthing-God, Gamer and maker (and giver) of cookies.
  • Planewalker
  • *incoherent babble meant to be funny*
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2008, 09:54:20 AM »
Sorry for reviving a old post (Not only that, but with my *first* post.) but i have a few issues with NI, and since banging my fist in the wall doesn't work, i figured i could look for help here.

Anyway, i start NI, convert the CHR file to CRE and then i proceed to change the DV. Now, when i try to change the override script like it says in the tutorial it doesn't work. I get a list of (what i assume are) existing scripts, and none of them help me. ~
Thing is, i'm completely illiterate when it comes to these things, and i assume there's something painfully obvious that i've missed but can't figure out what it is.
oh, and i can't change the Dialog either, since when i try to edit it as strings (yet again, like the tutorial tells me) it gives me a error message (Error updating value)
So, does anyone know what i can do to fix this?

Thanks, and sorry again for my necromantic reanimations of old topics  :P
Basiliuss - oh so unique, poorly written, basic and with no portrait.Soon coming to a place near YOU.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2008, 10:31:59 AM »
Either double-click the field, or right-click it and select Edit As String in order to do free entry of your new script name.

And as for the "error updating value", don't write MYFILE.DLG, just write "MYFILE".
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2008, 11:06:23 AM »
Either double-click the field, or right-click it and select Edit As String in order to do free entry of your new script name.

And as for the "error updating value", don't write MYFILE.DLG, just write "MYFILE".

I just want to emphasize that I only discovered this function about two weeks ago. :)

And don't worry about reviving an old thread with a good question. Good luck with your mod.

Offline Foodthing

• Planewalker
« Reply #271 on: February 27, 2008, 11:09:13 AM »
Still, no. I still get the same kind of error. I tried to just write ''myfile'' and edit as string. Nuthin'. I've double checked everything i've written, made sure to follow the tutorial..what could i be doing wrong?
Basiliuss - oh so unique, poorly written, basic and with no portrait.Soon coming to a place near YOU.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #272 on: February 27, 2008, 11:16:19 AM »
Okay, right-click, choose "edit as string", then double-click at the empty field, a cursor appears, you enter a value, go to a different field, save, close and then re-open. (And double-check it's the right file, naturally.) Does it work?

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #273 on: February 27, 2008, 11:33:46 AM »
I had that problem with NI, as well. Which is why I simply set the script name, dialogue file, and override script in the tp2:
Code: [Select]
COPY ~mymod/cre/crefile.cre~ ~override~
  SAY NAME1 ~Name~
  SAY NAME2 ~Name~
  WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~mynpcs~ #8     // assign override script
  WRITE_ASCII 0x2cc ~mynpc~ #8      // assign pre-joining dialogue file
  WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~mynpcdv~ #32  // assign DV
  WRITE_ASCII 0x34  ~mynpcs~ #8     // assign small portrait
  WRITE_ASCII 0x3c  ~mynpcl~ #8     // assign medium portrait
It's just easier for me.

Offline Foodthing

• Planewalker
« Reply #274 on: February 29, 2008, 02:39:30 PM »
I see. Well, thanks for the help and the encouragment   :) I'll see if it works when i get some time.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: