Author Topic: A Beginner's Guide to NPC creation with WeiDU  (Read 314197 times)

Offline Rabain

• Planewalker
  • Luck o' the Irish!
Re: A Beginner's Guide to NPC creation with WeiDU
« Reply #200 on: August 09, 2006, 12:17:11 PM »
You haven't got a missing tilde ~ on the line before 24 have you?
Touchstone: Wild Elf Fighter
BG2CPM: Dialog Portraits for Everyone!
WTPFamiliars: A new version of the Find Familiar Spell
All at: Border Kingdoms

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #201 on: August 10, 2006, 04:40:11 AM »
Are you creating this block after you've already CHAINed?  As all BEGIN blocks have to be after CHAINs in your .d file.  Either that or you have to APPEND after your CHAINs.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Jolyth

« Reply #202 on: August 10, 2006, 07:25:32 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I found it in the block above the one that WeiDU stated. I forgot to put END at the end of the block, but I have no clue why WeiDU mentioned the next block having the error. Ah well, thanks again!  ;)

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #203 on: August 10, 2006, 08:13:23 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I found it in the block above the one that WeiDU stated. I forgot to put END at the end of the block, but I have no clue why WeiDU mentioned the next block having the error. Ah well, thanks again!  ;)

Because it can't read your mind.  All it knows is that on line 24 it didn't encounter what it expected.  From its point of view your IF ~~ THEN on line 24 was the next player response from your previous block, so it expected either GOTO or REPLY and it recieved the keyword BEGIN.  Hence it throws the error there.

Jolyth

« Reply #204 on: August 10, 2006, 06:13:54 PM »
Gotcha.  :) I'm still new at this so it is going to take a while to get the hang of it. Thanks for the explanation

Offline Sorrowmaster

• The Sorrowmaster
  • Planewalker
  • DIE ANOMEN DIE!!!
« Reply #205 on: August 15, 2006, 01:30:49 PM »
Question: What program is used to open the .cre file? I tried notepad, wordpad, word, adobe, java (which said it was a corrupted jar file)
The Sorrowmaster waits upon your door
The Sorrowmaster sits upon your floor
The Sorrowmaster stands upon your bed
The Sorrowmaster's hands upon your head
The Sorrowmaster twists with an eery grace
In the Sorrowmaster's hands lie your face

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #206 on: August 15, 2006, 04:28:29 PM »
Near Infinity or DLTCEP.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Sorrowmaster

• The Sorrowmaster
  • Planewalker
  • DIE ANOMEN DIE!!!
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2006, 10:22:13 AM »
 DLTCEP?

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2006, 10:53:30 AM »
http://www.dragonlancetc.com/forums/index.php?board=9

DragonLanceTotalConversionlEditorPro; maintained by Avenger at the above site. Pretty much the authoritative all-in-one package for editing lost of stuff.

NearInfinity  http://sourceforge.net/projects/nearinfinity/ has a board here under WeiDU.org forums; it is an equally useful tool.

Both are extremely powerful, both do different things well, and both have pretty darned good folks keeping them useful/updated for the rest of us poor schlubs who just wanna get stuff done. I can say that my usual bugfixing session has Crimson Editor, NI, and DLTCEP all paging back and forth, with an occasional quick ConTEXT review for different highlighters/a second look. Just have to make sure that none of them are open at the same time on the same thing; had to build a little "cleanup" macro that killed all of them before running setup-mymod, or I would mess stuff up bad :)

Offline Sorrowmaster

• The Sorrowmaster
  • Planewalker
  • DIE ANOMEN DIE!!!
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2006, 10:56:18 AM »
Nevermind, googled it, found out ;)

ANTYG

« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2006, 11:27:26 AM »
sorry that i ask but i can't create .dlg file  :-Zzz. I rename it to XXX.dlg but its stil a txt file, so basically i just change nake from XXX to XXX.dlg and not change files extention from txt to dlg. Anyone willing to help??

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #211 on: August 18, 2006, 11:33:26 AM »
sorry that i ask but i can't create .dlg file  :-Zzz. I rename it to XXX.dlg but its stil a txt file, so basically i just change nake from XXX to XXX.dlg and not change files extention from txt to dlg. Anyone willing to help??

You don't create .dlg files like that.  You create .d files (which are just renamed txt files) and then compile them using WeiDU (using a tp2 file) as described in the tutorial.

Meridan

« Reply #212 on: August 20, 2006, 02:58:13 PM »
Ive searched various tutorials but cant find anything on "Reputation Issues" or by looking at decompiled DLGS, other modded npcs *.d's

My Post file looks like this.. (yes im modding in BG1 npcs)

Code: [Select]
BEGIN NSafaP

IF ~HappinessLT(Myself,-290)~ THEN BEGIN unhappy
SAY ~I've tried to guide this group in the right direction, but I'm tired of trying.  Goodbye.~
IF ~~ THEN DO ~LeaveParty() EscapeArea()~ EXIT
END

IF ~Global("SafanaJoined","LOCALS",1)~ THEN BEGIN KickOut
SAY ~You are kicking me out?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Oops, I meant to boot that twit Keldorn, not you. Sorry.~ DO ~JoinParty()~ EXIT
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~That's right, I don't want you in the party.~ DO ~SetGlobal("SafanaJoined","LOCALS",0)~ EXIT
END

IF ~Global("SafanaJoined","LOCALS",0)~ THEN BEGIN Rejoin
SAY ~You want me to rejoin?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~That's right Safana, get back in formation.~ DO ~SetGlobal("SafanaJoined","LOCALS",1)
JoinParty()~ EXIT
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~That's right, I don't want you in the party.~ EXIT
END

Clearly its nowhere near finshed,

CRE Soundset was corrected as best as possible in NI, adding missing sounds via Importing from BG1 such as
SAFAN23.WAV which doesnt exist in BG2, All the StringRefs/WAV references do exist apart from "10201" the BIO is blank, this seemed to be fixed by a 
SAY_BIO in the Tp2.

I left out SAY_NAME in the Tp2 since SAFANA as a StringRef does exist already in the CRE/Dialogue, the DV is also SAFANA, seems to not have any side effects.

Problem... When ever Reputation drops to 1, SAFAN07.wav plays, before it is finshed playing the Dialogue
"I've tried to guide this group in the right direction, but I'm tired of trying.  Goodbye."   Interrupts the sound playing, also what about High Reputation kick outs?

So yes it works but its so messy ?

Looking ahead, ive decided to replace C6safa with some invented Girlfriend for Coran rather than deal with Coran this could be an character from BG1, so that encounter will still happen, less rewriting, I can imagine a sarcastic banter from Safana, if Coran is saved too. :D  Possible Safana pirate links at Brynnlaw/Quest, maybe some expanded Shadow Thief content, a NON -lethal Betrayal similar to what was planned for Viconia in the Underdark, The PC would then have the choice to either forgiving her or kicking her out forever, i can Imagine a CN character like Safana suddenly changing sides/sucking up to the PC if things look bad, just find the whole cameo as it stands quite silly, Safana with Lanfear, she wouldnt enter the Golem cave in bg1 by herself, sugguesting she likes to pull strings and sit back not be directly involved (even the 16 INT sugguests this), the Safana + Coran again she seems selfish much like a NE as does Coran himself, we are expected to believe she stuck by coran or coran stuck by her for how long? Wizard has a bounty on Charnames head? doesnt sound like Irenicus either. As to the Innate Charm ability im thinking an upgrade this is BG2 after all, Dominate once per day sounds better? :)

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #213 on: August 20, 2006, 03:12:42 PM »
I left out SAY_NAME in the Tp2 since SAFANA as a StringRef does exist already in the CRE/Dialogue, the DV is also SAFANA, seems to not have any side effects.

A couple of notes:

1) It's SAY NAME not SAY_NAME (similarly SAY BIO not SAY_BIO)
2) I'd still strongly recommend changing her deathvariable to <my-modding-prefix>SAFANA, just to make sure it doesn't clash with anything.  Here's a link on modding prefixes if you don't know about them.

Meridan

« Reply #214 on: August 20, 2006, 03:54:47 PM »
Thanks grim, it is correct in the Tp2, just not the above post

As to 2. since ive barely started on this project, ill be sure to correct such prefixes before any release to avoid conflicts, my script names NS are already invalid/taken.

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #215 on: August 20, 2006, 08:40:36 PM »
since ive barely started on this project, ill be sure to correct such prefixes before any release to avoid conflicts, my script names NS are already invalid/taken.

I'd say that's rather extremely unwise. Best to get into the habit of using the prefix now, otherwise debugging will be a nightmare. Trust us.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #216 on: August 21, 2006, 05:37:28 AM »
since ive barely started on this project, ill be sure to correct such prefixes before any release to avoid conflicts, my script names NS are already invalid/taken.

I'd say that's rather extremely unwise. Best to get into the habit of using the prefix now, otherwise debugging will be a nightmare. Trust us.

The Fain speaks the truth.  If you try to do a change right before the end you'll probably end up doing one of the following:
1) Manually changing every filename and variable name to include a prefix.  You might accidently miss a couple and get horrible bugs
2) Do some creative Find/Replacing to change every filename and variable name to include a prefix.  You might accidently change a BioWare variable to include a prefix and get horrible bugs.

So yeah, the moral of the story is to start using a prefix as soon as possible.

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #217 on: August 21, 2006, 09:55:17 AM »
My life this summer has revolved around this issue with thousands of lines of code... believe me, these folks are telling you the absolute and imperative truth. Hours and hours and hours of debugging because of inconsistencies with JaheiraMoves, X#JaheiraMoves, JaheiraMove, and JahieraMoves, is bad enough, but when you have to go back and try to figure out if original code has jaheiramove...  or worse, troubleshoot an install where someone else has used the same variable name...

:P

Meridan

« Reply #218 on: August 21, 2006, 10:52:19 AM »
I dont see "7S" as a registered prefix, so this is valid? :)

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #219 on: August 21, 2006, 12:14:22 PM »
I dont see "7S" as a registered prefix, so this is valid? :)

If it's not on the registered list then it should be fine.  So post in the relevant thread to bagsy it.

Offline Madieron

• Planewalker
« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2006, 03:57:46 PM »
All my files are right but my character doesn't appear.... Do I need to start a new game for it ?

And I have another question... where I can find the words used in modding like SAY, IF etc ?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2006, 04:01:25 PM »
The WeiDU ReadMe, which came with the downloadable package.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline WizWom

• Wandering Kernel of Happiness
  • Planewalker
« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2006, 08:19:40 PM »
All my files are right but my character doesn't appear.... Do I need to start a new game for it ?
If you used a script to place the NPC, then, no, you just have to trigger the script.
If you modified an ARE and used a CRE script to handle leveling, then yes, you would have to, if you have visited that area already.  SAVe files store all the CREatures for every AREa you have visited.  You could, of course, just CLUAConsole him in, too.
If you did a BG1 style NPC, with leveling by NPCLEVEL.2DA and a line in Baldur.GAM, then you have to start a new game.  BG2 would let you CLUA them in, and would put them in the GAM file for the save.
If you aren't happy, it's not my fault.

Offline Madieron

• Planewalker
« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2006, 01:06:06 PM »
I did a BG2 character.
Do you mean a .baf file for the script wich places the NPC ?
I've only :
.D, .tlk, .baf, .tp2 and .CRE files. I didn't modify any ARE files.
I'm very sorry, I don't understand what I have to do. :x

Offline WizWom

• Wandering Kernel of Happiness
  • Planewalker
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2006, 01:30:48 PM »
You're doing fine; from the sound of it, you hald close to the tutorial.

Vefiry the AR????.BCS got changed correctly with NearInfinity; if it did, you should have
IF
Global("J#VondoExists","AR1000",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("J#VondoExists","AR1000",1)
CreateCreature("J#Vondo",[1137.2046],3)
END

That will be at the top of the script (bad form, really, EXTEND_BOTTOM  should be used, or OnCreation() put in the block and a Continue() added to the end.  As it stands, it would bust an OnCreation() scripting).

If that scripting is there, then you're good to go, just visit the area.  The only thing that would stop your NPC from showing would be
(1) using mismatched area variables - that is, putting the character in AR0400, but then making the script still try to use "AR1000"
(2) not having the CRE spelled right
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 01:34:50 PM by WizWom »
If you aren't happy, it's not my fault.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: