Author Topic: Permission to host PPG mods at a mirror site?  (Read 2482 times)

Offline n8h@wk

• Planewalker
Permission to host PPG mods at a mirror site?
« on: May 09, 2004, 10:23:47 PM »
Hi all,

Months back Mr. Compton gave me permission to host his mods at my website. Within that time you guys have left FWS and my computer was down for 2 months. I am now almost done redesigning my website and would like to know if it would be okay to host PPG mods at my site and if it is still okay with jcompton to host his. They won't actually be the same as here. Don't worry they will NOT be altered, they will just be in a downloadable state for other Mac users to use. One problem I've had with some mods is that the exe file won't extract with Stuffit for some reason. So I need to transfer them to my wife's PC to extract them, transfer them back to my Mac and then stuff them (the mac equivalent of zipping) or just zip them. So everything will be as it is except in either a zip or sit archive. If it's okay with you guys I'll host them at a mirror site I've made for Mac users to go to. I'm even making instructions on how to install them. Thanks.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: Permission to host PPG mods at a mirror site?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 10:37:11 PM »
There's been a long discussion over at the Mac IRE forums recently about mod repackaging. I certainly would be happy to see some sort of "definitive Mac mirror", although I'm also perfectly content to host Mac-built mods on PPG (in addition or as the single source.) What's most important to me is that you be willing to promptly repackage and test new versions as they come out.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline n8h@wk

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 10:46:40 PM »
What's most important to me is that you be willing to promptly repackage and test new versions as they come out.
I always do install the newest versions and test them as soon as they are out. :) I just want to give Mac people an opportunity to use the mods. Sometimes the mac "version" of a mod will be long beind the PC one. Although I end up using the most recent version anyways. I'm not sure if most Mac users have figured out how to install the PC versions (as it is somewhat of a pain at times. ;) And if you don't hav ethe patience you won't do it.)
And of course you could direct link to the download on each mods page here at PPG. I've been a big fan of you guys and love what you do. I'm just trying to help out in the little way that I can (since there are no modding tools for Mac; although I have a slew of ideas).
Thanks for the response so quickly.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 11:09:08 PM »
(since there are no modding tools for Mac; although I have a slew of ideas).

Well, that's not strictly true... aside from IRE, NI will run (Java) and then of course there's Mac WeiDU.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline JPS

• Out of order
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 07:27:21 AM »
This might be a good time for a link.

Link

There.
"Attempts to find the gibberlings' lairs have inevitably led back to subterranean passages, where the trail is eventually lost in the deepest rock-floored recesses of the caverns."

Visit the Gibberlings Three!

Offline n8h@wk

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 08:50:21 AM »
Well, that's not strictly true... aside from IRE, NI will run (Java) and then of course there's Mac WeiDU.

Okay, maybe a better way of saying it would be there are no modding apps to do it EASILY. I've checked out what's available at the MacIRE site but it all seems so complicated.

Offline MagusWizardo

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 02:08:08 AM »
NI will run, and be no more complex than it is on a PC. You will just need the Mac OS Java Runtime Environments, available at www.sun.com .

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 08:48:44 AM »
That might be what he meant. :) NI isn't really the most inviting at times.