Author Topic: Cailean FAQ - Updated 8/11/04  (Read 14956 times)

Offline Kismet

• Devil's Minion #5
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Veni; Vidi; Velcro.
    • Pocket Plane Group
Cailean FAQ - Updated 8/11/04
« on: March 31, 2004, 09:13:19 PM »
If you have any additional burning questions, please let us know and we'll see about adding them in.
-------------------------------------------
Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How the heck do you pronounce his name?
A. Cailean is pronounced KAY-len.

Q. Who will he romance?
A. He will romance females of all races. HOWEVER, he requires the object of his affections to have at least a 7 in CHR, INT and WIS. He also will not romance Bounty Hunters. In fact, Bounty Hunters won't even be able to meet up with him.

Q. So Bounty Hunters can't even find him... How does everybody else find him?
A. You need to talk to Ribald Barterman in the Adventurer's Mart.

Q. What's this I hear about PC initiated LoveTalks?
A. Yes indeed, the PC can start LoveTalks with Cailean. It is a bit of a misnomer calling them LoveTalks however, since a male PC (or female PC that doesn't fit Cailean's romance requirements) can initiate conversations with him too.

Q. Do you mean I can talk to him as often as I want?
A. Well, not really. The PC initiated conversations are on a timer. Approximately a half-hour after you accept him into your party you'll be able to talk with him. If you have that first conversation with him, the timer will be reset and in another half hour you'll be able to talk to Cailean again.

Q. All this talk of timers... Will I need to keep a clock next to my computer?
A. Not at all. We let you know when they expire.

Q. Are you saying I have to talk to this guy every half hour?
A. No, of course not. We let you know when you CAN talk to him. We don't MAKE you talk to him. Ok, we lied. If you're romancing him we will make you talk to him a certain number of times before his quest will advance. If you're not romancing him then you can be as quiet as you want but we'll still be crying over our hard work going to waste.

Q. What happens if I don't talk to him?
A. We cry because all our hard work is going to waste. But besides that, nothing happens apart from not being able to romance him. If you're romancing him, you won't have this option. You will have to talk to him a certain number of times to continue the romance.

Q. So will Cailean EVER initiate a conversation with me?
A. Yes, after his quest is complete we'll swap things around and he'll start taking the conversation initiative.

Q. What if I don't ask all the PC initiated questions before that happens? Will all the leftover PC initiated questions just disappear?
A. For the non-romance folks we will leave them in but remove the timer so they can plow through them all in one go if they so choose. For the romance folks the remainder of the questions will probabaly be a flirt option, so along will Hug Cailean and Kiss Cailean there will also be Talk to Cailean. Some of the questions dealing with his quest and Masalina will be removed however since those would be considered answered once his quest is done.

Q. So am I going to have to be nice to this guy ALL the time? What if I'm having a bad day?
A. Actually, no. We have put in several dialog options where you can say mean things to him. And since we believe in fighting and making-up, we also give you a chance to apologize for being mean. Depending on how you apologize and, in a few cases, your charisma Cailean may or may not forgive you. You will only be able to be mean to him so many times before he gets sick of it and breaks things off, however.

Q. Does Cailean come with any really cool equipment?
A. I'm not sure how this stuff rates on the coolness scale, but he comes with his own bow: +1 Longbow that adds an extra +1 to hit and +1 to damage against drow. He also comes with an amulet that adds +1 to hit and +1 to damage against shadows & wraiths.

Q. Will there be romance conflict with Anomen/Kelsey?
A. Possibly. Since the types of women Cailean likes and the types of women Anomen and Kelsey like aren't exactly the same it is possible that there will be no fighting over your PC. For example, if your PC is a gnome then Anomen & Kelsey just aren't interested and there will be no fighting. Conversely, if your PC is a human with 5 CHR then Cailean just won't be interested and there will be no fighting.

Q. Ok, assuming my PC is attractive to all 3 men, will they fight over her?
A. In the very early stages of Anomen's romance, if the PC picks a few of the flirty dialog options, Anomen will have something snarky to say to Cailean. If Anomen's romance is in the later stage (late romance active 1, but not yet 2) Anomen will have a chat with the PC and ask her what she thinks she's doing. When Cailean starts initiating LTs then the conflict will procede as usual with each butting into the other's LT.

Q. Will he have his own quest? -- Updated 8/11/04
A. Yes. When you meet him, he needs your help clearing up his reputation.  There will also be a second, optional, quest where you help one of Cailean's childhood friends with a small project.

Q. Are there going to be additional battles?
A. Well, once you accept Cailean into your party you do rather get hounded by Bounty Hunters. Also, the meeting with Masalina could turn violent.

Q. So will these fights be difficult?
A. Until Kismet's AI scripting skills improve they'll probably rank somewhere around 2 on the Weimer difficulty scale.

Q. So he has a bounty on his head, hmm? Can I turn him in for his bounty?
A. If you have Yoshimo in your party you will have a chance to turn Cailean in for the bounty. Some of your good party members may not like this idea, however.

Q. Will he be voiced? -- Updated 8/11/04
A. Yes indeed.  We have Operadragon (Brad Venable) doing the voicing for Cailean.

Q. Will other parts be voiced? -- Updated 8/11/04
A. Yes indeed.  We have g'lain as Masalina, jcompton as Bersh, Bons as Fenicia and SimDing0 slated to do Pablo.  This still leaves us with a few more open parts though.

Q. With what other mods will Cailean be compatible?
A. Well, since he's still being written, we haven't really tested him with anything yet. He should, however, end up being compatible with most other NPC and Item/Feature mods.

Q. Will there be TOB content and will it be released at the same time as the SOA content?
A. Yes, there will be content for TOB. It's likely that it'll be released separately, however.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 08:27:21 AM by Kismet »
Cailean - An archer NPC for the insatiably nosy!  Guaranteed more fun than shampooing cats!

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
Re: Cailean FAQ - Updated 8/11/04
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 02:17:21 PM »
dont worry ill romance untill i erm. well ill romance alot

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 05:05:55 PM »
will you be able to do a cheat code to speed things up?

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 07:05:42 AM »
what happens when you clear his name? (if you mangae to clear it of course)

Offline Kismet

• Devil's Minion #5
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Veni; Vidi; Velcro.
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 07:21:39 AM »
what happens when you clear his name? (if you mangae to clear it of course)

You get a bit of experience, a few unique items and Cailean starts taking the conversation initiative (plus the bounty hunters stop dogging your footsteps.)
Cailean - An archer NPC for the insatiably nosy!  Guaranteed more fun than shampooing cats!

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 11:13:15 AM »
i suppose thats good, what iteams do we get? or is that a secret

Offline St. Josephine

• Planewalker
  • The Patron Saint of Mediocrity
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 11:47:17 AM »
Well, we'd prefer not to give everything away before the mod is released.   ;)
Cailean: An archer NPC for the insatiably nosy!

Despite his heartthrob status in real life, Orlando Bloom has consistently functioned as a node of negative energy onscreen, sucking the life force out of all who surround him. --Dana Stevens, Slate.com

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 12:33:51 PM »
Well, we'd prefer not to give everything away before the mod is released. ;)

*puppy eyes and very sweet girly tone* please???

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 01:59:13 PM »
*no soupeverything for you!*
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Rodent of Unusual Size

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 04:38:15 PM »
Are you forced to talk a certain NUMBER of times to Cailean if you are romancing him or is it limited by time also? (ie not only before his quest is over, but also every half hour).

Offline Kismet

• Devil's Minion #5
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Veni; Vidi; Velcro.
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 05:00:46 PM »
If you fit Cailean's romance profile, then you have to have 6 PC initiated conversations with him before his quest will conclude.  There are a few places where you can break off the romance in the PC init stage, and if you do that then you can conclude his quest without regard to how many times you've talked to him.  Once his quest his done, he'll start initiating the conversations and those talks will work like the standard Bioware romances.  Does that answer your question?

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 05:54:00 AM »
will the pc have a babdy like the kelsey romance (if so im running)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: