Author Topic: Comments on "Snapped"  (Read 2988 times)

Offline neriana

• Planewalker
    • Darien NPC for BG2
Comments on "Snapped"
« on: April 15, 2004, 01:47:49 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought this was the most probable way for Moira to have died.
The color of infinity inside an empty glass.

Offline Alarielle

• Disco Blob
  • Planewalker
Re: Comments on "Snapped"
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 07:13:40 AM »
I've always maintained that there must've been another story behind Moira's demise, so I loved this. 
'Can I swashbuckle through your drawers?' - Grim Squeaker

Alarielle: There's a good kind of dirty?
Andyr: It's the 'cool, kinky' dirty as opposed to the 'take a bath you fucking messy fuck' dirty :)

discharger12

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 03:37:33 PM »
I've always maintained that there must've been another story behind Moira's demise, so I loved this. 

I thought this was great, although a bit sad..  :-\

Much better then anything I could ever right  ::)

Offline Kirwond

• Planewalker
  • Attila the Hun with a cinnamon bun
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 08:39:41 AM »
Thanks, folks. :) When I played through my first game, I figured this was what had really happened to Moira. Then poor Anomen went haring after Saerk, and I couldn't believe it. I thought my version was more realistic.

But then again, it's a fantasy world, so what do I know.  ;) Thanks again for reading and commenting!
"Yes, I remember Avalon," he said, "a place of silver and shade and cool waters, where the stars shone like bonfires at night and the green of day was always the green of spring. Youth, love, beauty--I knew them in Avalon. Proud steeds, bright metal, soft lips, dark ale."
--Roger Zelazny

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 07:32:11 PM »
This was fabulous, Kirwond. You really have a way with pacing and making sinking into the scene you've painted effortless.

That said, there was one thing:

He started to weep silently. Everyone picked on poor Cor. It was a rough old world.

I know you were reflecting the 'tears in my beer' mopey phase of drunkenness, but "Everyone picked on poor Cor..."  is too 'Aw, shucks' for me.

I dunno. I dunno. It's valid for Cor to have a pity party for one over bad ale. Still, those two lines leapt out at me. Somehow I expected even Cor's drunken pity parties to be bitter and angry. Something like, "Everyone was against him. The world favored fools and reprobates while he - Cor raised a fist, grinding away the tears lining his jaundiced face with a rough pass of his knuckles - he suffered hard chairs, cold floors, empty coffers..."

Other than those two little lines, I was fascinated as I read this. It was an irreverant hiccup, then I was back in the squalor and dread, feeling the tone again. You really did an excellent job, Kirwond. I feel guilty for bringing up the one thing that niggled me because the overall quality and skill with this piece is remarkable. You make fanfic that's enjoyable even when the stories are about drunks killing people. That's no mean feat, so...Yay, Kirwond!!!
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline Kirwond

• Planewalker
  • Attila the Hun with a cinnamon bun
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 09:31:20 AM »
I know you were reflecting the 'tears in my beer' mopey phase of drunkenness, but "Everyone picked on poor Cor..."  is too 'Aw, shucks' for me.

I do know what you mean.  :-[ That's one of the spots in this piece that I come back to and wonder about every so often. Being lazy at heart, I've left it alone. I may just take it out.

Other than those two little lines, I was fascinated as I read this. It was an irreverant hiccup, then I was back in the squalor and dread, feeling the tone again. You really did an excellent job, Kirwond. I feel guilty for bringing up the one thing that niggled me because the overall quality and skill with this piece is remarkable. You make fanfic that's enjoyable even when the stories are about drunks killing people. That's no mean feat, so...Yay, Kirwond!!!

Thank you, Bons. :) And don't feel guilty--it's all in the name of improvement.
"Yes, I remember Avalon," he said, "a place of silver and shade and cool waters, where the stars shone like bonfires at night and the green of day was always the green of spring. Youth, love, beauty--I knew them in Avalon. Proud steeds, bright metal, soft lips, dark ale."
--Roger Zelazny

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 02:52:43 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought this was the most probable way for Moira to have died.

It always seemed that way to me as well. Good story.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: