Author Topic: Why --force-install <non-existing component> do not produce warring/failure?  (Read 560 times)

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
Hi,

Why  --force-install <non-existing component> do not produce warring/failure?

Can you add warring/failure when it happens? If possible with a different ExitCode to distinguish from other kinds of faliures?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 12:42:22 AM by AL|EN »
Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games
Modder's Guide to Github - you cannot have progress without committing changes

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
WeiDU iterates through the actual list of components and installs those that are --force. I'd have to iterate through the --force list and match those against the actual components to warn about it. Is this really a big deal, though? I would expect most users of --force to be either command-line users, and while a better CL experience would be nice, not getting warned about mis-types does seem like small potatoes, or machines, which I would expect receive their component list from, or at least verify their component list against, --list-components. I can add this, but what's the use case?

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
Even if PI handle pre-check of DESIGNATED numbers, the use case is:

- user has created a medium-size list of components used for --force-install for quick-install.bat
- one mod was updated, DESIGNATED numbers were changed, a user is still using his previous quick-install.bat
- if the list is small, he can verify it via comparing --list-components or weidu.log as you said
- but if the number of components used for --force-install is huge, checking it requires a lot of attention and manual work

Failure during installation seems like it's the best moment to inform the player that the component that he is trying to install, doesn't actually exist. A warring might be for deprecated components. What do you think?
Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games
Modder's Guide to Github - you cannot have progress without committing changes

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
Sure, I can add it.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: