Author Topic: Baldur's Gate age is finally gone. It was great. BG3 is not.  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Baldur's Gate age is finally gone. It was great. BG3 is not.
« on: October 07, 2020, 02:30:59 PM »
So, Baldur's Gate 3 is here.

The interface is well done. It reminds me of Baldur's Gate 2 a lot.
Music is good. It's classy.
Gameplay reminds me a lot of Diablo 3. Cutscene graphics look a bit old, especially when it comes to illithid and characters. But it's not that big a deal.
The protagonist is mute. That's... that's a big deal these days, actually. But BG was mute and BG2 was mute, so I could live with it. (Not). Other voice actors range from good to very good.

But the story is not there. It's just utility dialogue and some more utility dialogue. And nothing shines. Seriously, story-wise, it's astonishingly bland, I never expected to see anything like that.
I'm not disappointed, it's just... there's nothing to be disappointed about. You just switch it off.

So, I guess this is it. The story's ended, and Baldur's Gate 3 is just one more game. Nice try, best of luck to them.

But Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 will always be there for all players, the old ones like us and the new ones. It will never become the memory of the memory. And Jaheira's eyes will always be a little sad in the epilogue, and Imoen will always say: "Heya! It's me, Imoen!"

That mark will never fade. And that's what matters.

Offline Mike1072

• Planewalker
Re: Baldur's Gate age is finally gone. It was great. BG3 is not.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 05:18:06 PM »
I think they're going to add voicing to the protagonist's dialogue lines before release.  (See: AMA response here.)

The way it is now is (unintentionally) hilarious.  You'll be having a conversation with a fully voiced and animated NPC, then the camera will cut back to the protagonist with a dumb expression on their face, stoic and silent.

I was happy to see some of the spell icons matching up to the old designs.  Other than that, I haven't seen much influence from the old games, but I haven't started playing it myself yet.  I don't think I'll be able to say for sure if I'll enjoy BG3 in the same vein as BG1 or BG2 until after it leaves early access, but my expectations have been tempered for a while, after learning about various creative decisions that diverge from the design of the original games.

Offline Isewein

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 04:02:40 PM »
Thank you for this poetic eulogy. The Irenicus quote especially touched my heart. That old sod has such a soulful streak beneath his soullessness. ;)

We will always have Athkatla.

Offline PrincessSuzie

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 02:04:40 AM »
Baldur's Gate 2 will always have a special place in my heart - this will never ever change :)

Offline Froberg

• The Pocketplane Heathen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 04:24:46 PM »
I'll hold off judgement until it's actually finished.

Offline Marauder

• BGI fanboy and
  • Planewalker
  • Viking
    • Order of the Stick
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 05:34:21 PM »
And here I thought it was a full release.

Haven't bothered playing it.
(http://i16.tinypic.com/2a6lgg9.gif)