Author Topic: Version 247 has been released  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
Version 247 has been released
« on: October 02, 2020, 04:04:00 PM »
It's been a while, but version 247 "Return of the Warlock" has now been released.

Downloads
Changes
Readme

Unfortunately, the person who has been providing binaries for macOS is no longer able to do so. Unless someone else steps up to fill the void, I have no WeiDU for our macOS users. The build instructions for macOS should still be applicable, with the caveat that WeiDU cannot be built with OCaml distributions that force immutable strings (so-called "safe strings"). I don't know if this is a version thing (likely) or an option when building OCaml, but versions around 4.07 and 4.08 have worked for me.

Edit: A Mac build has been posted. Many thanks to everyone who submitted builds!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 11:27:29 AM by Wisp »

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
Re: Version 247 has been released
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 04:31:38 PM »
Hi,

- 'changes' link inside release description points to https://github.com/WeiDUorg/weidu/blob/v246.00/README-WeiDU-Changes.txt
- can you explain how I can get WEIDU_VER variable? I can't get it even with simple PRINT %WEIDU_VER% (evaluated when using --debug-assign)
- can you explain how I can get WEIDU_ARCH, WEIDU_OS and WEIDU_VER from --list-components-json (evaluated when using --debug-assign)

- are you planning more changes to WeiDU package zip names and internal structure? Every time you do, it breaks PI, Infinity Auto Packager and possible other tools

Great work!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 02:04:21 PM by AL|EN »
Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games
Modder's Guide to Github - you cannot have progress without committing changes

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 07:38:34 PM »
WeiDU Mac compiled using Catalina and OCaml 4.08.1+default-unsafe-string:

EDIT: Please use https://github.com/WeiDUorg/weidu/releases
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:54:23 AM by AL|EN »

Offline subtledoctor

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 09:52:51 PM »
Thanks AL|EN!  I just did a quick test, installing some mods on MacOS 10.14 Mojave, and it seems to work fine.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 04:31:53 AM »
Thank you for the new version!

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 10:55:40 AM »
This is wonderful, many many thanks. Embarrassingly many things in the change-log seem to be either my requests, or else adapting to weird things I do.

I notice two places where there's a behavior change from v246:

1) 246 parsed the setup tra file early enough that you could put a tra references in VERSION. That doesn't work in 247: it recognizes that 'VERSION @0' wants to be a tra entry, but it no longer has the setup tra file in memory.
2) TP2_BASE_NAME resolved to the root of the tp2 file (e.g., stratagems) on v246. On v247 it resolves to the full tp2 file (e.g. stratagems.tp2).

Both of these break backwards compatibility for SCS - but don't fix them on my account, because in both cases I was only using those features to work around limitations of v246 not present in v247. I suspect they are edge cases that don't break backwards compatibility for anyone else. (In both cases I was using undocumented v246 behavior anyway - the v246 readme says that TP2_BASE_NAME should work the way it does in v247, and the official syntax for VERSION doesn't mention that it can be a tra entry.)

Offline Argent77

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »
Thank you for the new release!

There seems to be a slight problem with the 64-bit Windows binary. It has currently a size of about 8 MB and doesn't appear to be UPX-compressed.

Offline Almateria

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 08:03:54 AM »
247 now, huh... back in me days...

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 11:17:43 AM »
A Mac build has been posted. Many thanks to everyone who submitted builds; sadly, I can only upload one.

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 11:25:05 AM »
- can you explain how I can get WEIDU_VER variable? I can't get it even with simple PRINT %WEIDU_VER%
Yeah, that's broken. The variable is set to the empty string. Will fix.

- can you explain how I can get WEIDU_ARCH, WEIDU_OS and WEIDU_VER from --list-components-json
That's what you wanted? The change made for 247 is that the variables will evaluate to something if evaluated.
You can get the version from --version. I could maybe add some "built for WEIDU_OS and WEIDU_ARCH" line to the message.

- are you planning more changes to WeiDU package zip names and internal structure?
That was lazy and inconsiderate of me. And I suppose if I change it back to the way it used to be, I'll break things for you again.

So how do people prefer to download WeiDU? One package with all binaries for 32-/64-bit (old way) or one for each (inadvertent current way)? I'll have to re-do my packaging scripts either way.

1) 246 parsed the setup tra file early enough that you could put a tra references in VERSION. That doesn't work in 247: it recognizes that 'VERSION @0' wants to be a tra entry, but it no longer has the setup tra file in memory.
Yeah, I'll fix it.

2) TP2_BASE_NAME resolved to the root of the tp2 file (e.g., stratagems) on v246. On v247 it resolves to the full tp2 file (e.g. stratagems.tp2).
This was an inadvertent change, but I'm leaning towards "fixing" this, too, since the old behaviour has been in place for who knows how long.

There seems to be a slight problem with the 64-bit Windows binary. It has currently a size of about 8 MB and doesn't appear to be UPX-compressed.
I'll install UPX before building next version.

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 11:26:52 AM »
So on a scale of 1 to 10, how brief will this return of the warlock have to be? I probably won't be doing 1+ year until 248 either way, but should I target sometime this week? Taking requests!

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 01:40:46 PM »
- can you explain how I can get WEIDU_ARCH, WEIDU_OS and WEIDU_VER from --list-components-json
That's what you wanted? The change made for 247 is that the variables will evaluate to something if evaluated.
You can get the version from --version. I could maybe add some "built for WEIDU_OS and WEIDU_ARCH" line to the message.
No, I was confused by the way how it was written at the changelog. It was unusual so I asked. For the record, the --list-components-json is for components data only and let it stay that way.

- are you planning more changes to WeiDU package zip names and internal structure?
That was lazy and inconsiderate of me. And I suppose if I change it back to the way it used to be, I'll break things for you again.

So how do people prefer to download WeiDU? One package with all binaries for 32-/64-bit (old way) or one for each (inadvertent current way)? I'll have to re-do my packaging scripts either way.

Yep, I already updated bunch of code. I would say the way how it is now, separate packages by OS and architecture:

WeiDU-Windows-247-amd64.zip
WeiDU-Windows-247-x86.zip
WeiDU-Mac-247-amd64.zip
WeiDU-Linux-247-x86.zip
WeiDU-Linux-247-amd64.zip

It makes easy to get correct OS package directly, rather than search recursively against folder from extracted zip. You could also get rid of top-level directory inside zip.

Last thing: you can tag the new version but when you create release, have all packages ready and add them before publishing GitHib release. If you create release without packages, everything breaks.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 02:26:12 PM by AL|EN »

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
    • Classic Adventures Homepage
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 07:39:32 PM »
I'm on Windows, and personally I'd prefer everything be in a single package.  However, having separate downloads isn't a world-ending inconvenience or anything.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"
-- <CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

Offline Gwendolyne_FP

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 05:51:30 AM »
I'm on Windows, and personally I'd prefer everything be in a single package.  However, having separate downloads isn't a world-ending inconvenience or anything.

I couldn't say better. ;)

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 04:50:09 PM »
So on a scale of 1 to 10, how brief will this return of the warlock have to be? I probably won't be doing 1+ year until 248 either way, but should I target sometime this week? Taking requests!
You wanted, you got it:

The 'weidu.exe --version' output is not only version number. It's 'WeiDU version xxxxx'. Can you change this to be only version number, so we don't have to use regex?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 04:57:16 PM by AL|EN »

Offline Magus_BGforge

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 05:14:06 PM »
You can package both separate and full downloads, to satisfy everyone. Me personally, I don't care.

For general attention: MLS now makes use of new parsing feature to support error checking in BAF, D, TPA, TPP, TPH. Which requires WeiDU 247 downloaded and configured in settings, of course. Happy modding, everyone!

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2020, 12:21:30 PM »
The 'weidu.exe --version' output is not only version number. It's 'WeiDU version xxxxx'. Can you change this to be only version number, so we don't have to use regex?
You don't even need to use a regexp. You can grab the substring at the right offset. I think we can worry about v1000 if and when that happens.

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
    • Classic Adventures Homepage
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 12:04:39 AM »
This isn't new to v247, but I have a request and a question.  In one of my mods, I have the following code:
Code: [Select]
<<<<<<<< BGEEClassicMovies-inlined/AR0705.baf
IF
  Global("EnteredElfsong","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    StartMovie("TAVERN")
    SetGlobal("EnteredElfsong","GLOBAL",1)
END
>>>>>>>>

EXTEND_TOP AR0705.bcs ~BGEEClassicMovies-inlined/AR0705.baf~
With the MODDER flag turned on, this gives me two warnings.

1)
WARNING: POSSIBLE ERROR: file TAVERN.mve is not found in action 167.
Presumably this warning is given because the referenced resource "TAVERN.mve" isn't found.  However, this is being installed on an EE game and "TAVERN.wbm" DOES exist.  My request is that this (very useful) check be extended to account for all possible (accounting for engine variant) file extensions for any resource in question.

2)
WARNING: EXTEND* BGEEClassicMovies-inlined/AR0705.baf with strings from setup.tra
This is warning me that I haven't specified a specific TRA to use?  No TRA is necessary.  Can I make WeiDU happy without specifying (an unused) TRA like so:
Code: [Select]
EXTEND_TOP AR0705.bcs ~BGEEClassicMovies-inlined/AR0705.baf~ USING ~BGEEClassicMovies/lang/%s/setup.tra~
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"
-- <CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: