Author Topic: Feature Request: command-line option to present certain components  (Read 599 times)

Offline subtledoctor

• Planewalker
I'm looking at the Weidu command-line options, and they seem a bit slim as far as customizing the install experience.  As far as specifying individual components, I see --force-install, --force-install-list, --force-install-rest... and that's it.  The issue with those is, well, they force-install things. 

It would be nice if there was an option like "--only-ask-list," which would be like --force-install-list, but give the user the option of installing the specified components.  The standard Weidu install prompt would occur, but limit which components are presented to the user.  In essence it would act like non-specified components were commented out of the .tp2 file.

The specific motivation behind this has to do with the MacOS Weidu Launcher, which is described here. That little app does not exactly qualify as a mod manager; the best I can cobble together is something that presents the user with a list of available mods and opens the typical Weidu process at a command prompt.  The app present the list in a suggested install order, and therein lies the problem: some mods need certain components to go here, and certain components to go there. Ideally, I would present the list like:

- d5_Random_Tweaks: 100 200 300
- CDTweaks
- Stratagems
- d5_Random_Tweaks: 400

Since this is not a full-fledged app like BWS/PI, I can't use checkboxes and --force-install.  But if I could take the user's choice and fashion the underlying Terminal command like

./weidu d5_random_tweaks.tp2 --ask-only-list 100 200 300

That would greatly assist in fashioning a more helpful and accurate install order.  (It may be useful in other contexts too!  This is just what I am working on right now.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:49:34 PM by subtledoctor »

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
Re: Feature Request: command-line option to present certain components
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 02:31:04 PM »
I've implemented --ask-only x y z, which limits the interactive installer to asking only about components x, y and z. If any of the specified components is a subcomponent, all other subcomponents of that main component will be available for selection and if any of the specified components are part of a GROUP, only the installer will only ask about the intersection of the two sets (or not ask about the group, if the intersection is empty).

Unfortunately, I tagged v247 last night, so this will not be in until v248. But I can tag a beta if you are willing to build WeiDU yourself.

Offline subtledoctor

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 09:35:52 PM »
Cool!

Don't worry about a beta, I've got other things demanding my attention.  When 248 drops I'll turn my attention back to the Mac installer to account for the new capability.

Offline subtledoctor

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 11:35:03 PM »
Actually I suppose the negation could be useful too - something like "--skip-components x y z" ... but only if it's no trouble.  This is all icing on the Weidu cake, so don't lose any sleep over it.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: