Author Topic: Your impressions on Assassinations  (Read 47474 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Your impressions on Assassinations
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2008, 10:38:19 AM »
Thank you for the compliments. I really would've liked to create more complex missions, but I'd have needed an area artist for that, a good one, and as I do not do areas myself... well. If you're looking for more action-and-adventure types, though, Dungeon Crawl and Tower of Deception may interest you.

And welcome to PPG, naturally. Feel free to look around. :)

Offline MisterDebris

• Planewalker
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2008, 11:18:52 AM »
Thank you for the compliments. I really would've liked to create more complex missions, but I'd have needed an area artist for that, a good one, and as I do not do areas myself... well. If you're looking for more action-and-adventure types, though, Dungeon Crawl and Tower of Deception may interest you.

And welcome to PPG, naturally. Feel free to look around. :)

Yes i plan on trying more mods. I've been playing Baldur's Gate games since i was really young but i started getting into them again like 3 mounths ago and started trying mods and modding and stuff and it really enhances the experience. Once again I thank you for making such a great mod and thanks for the warm welcome. I am thinking about trying Dungeon Crawl.

Offline lac

• Planewalker
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2008, 12:51:41 AM »
Right now my greatest problem with Assassinations is that  there seems to be no way to sneak up to your target
and kill him/her without the bother of listening to their pathetic conversations and having them alert their own bodyguards.  case in point: Right now I am trying to kill Amara.  I am very stealthy, so why can I not sneak up behind her and backstab her for all I am worth?  I cannot seem to sneak up on her.  I've tried this invisible, too.  And I had Xan charm her, but I still  cannot get her to walk with me to some place further away from the guards before I kill her.  Instead I have to talk with her, and so far I cannot seem to avoid needing to kill the guards as well.

I think that this mod is a natural for people who are, well, assassins, but right now it doesn't seem to let me assassinate people with my customary discretion.  Or am I having a problem because  I am letting Viconia, whom I used Level1NPC to turn into a cleric/thief  handle the sneaking around and killing and it would work better if my PC was handling the assasinations himself?  It's not that I actually _mind_ the backstory, but I see no reason to get to know my victims better before dispatching them.  And my way ought to be safer.

The problem with the profession is the existence of raise dead spells.  You never know when a target's friends,
relatives, or business associates are going to haul his body and a suitable amount of cash to a temple and get the
recently departed up and about again.  So I never want my targets to ever know who exactly it was that put
the shine on them.  Such complications are dangerous ..... and unecessary.

Yours in unrepentant, unredeemable evil,
Bhaalspawn

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:05:52 AM by lac »

Offline lac

• Planewalker
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2008, 01:00:24 AM »
more from the unredeemable ...

If the first target hangs out in a bar every night, then it ought to be possible to watch him and follow him home a few
evenings just to get a sense of where would be the best place to do the deed.  Predicatable people are so easy to
assassinate.  But I spent all afternoon in the bar and he never showed up.  And talking to the barman about a
target who is a valued customer is bad policy.  When he is found, dead in an alley the next morning, people may
remember who was looking for him.

Offline lac

• Planewalker
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2008, 01:13:40 AM »
I think from a role-playing point of view, if you want to bring up the dialog options, I think it would be best if at
every conversational point there was an options for 'sneak back into the shadows' for the people who want to then
get on with a stealthy assassination.

Thank you, I amĀ“, of course, enjoying the mod and the backstory, but it's frustrating from a role playing point of
view.

Laura

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2008, 01:28:06 AM »
Really? I was able to kill Amara from the distance: fireballs and poisoned darts do their job just fine. Her senses _are_ heightened, though, yeah - some of them are easy to kill, like Harpers, some are not. Sorry about that.

If there was an artist, I'd be happy to do an "Extended Goverment district", with estates and everything, so that PC could play James Bond, but alas, alas...

Thank you for your comments: naturally, I read them all.

Offline lac

• Planewalker
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2008, 11:51:40 AM »
I'm an _assasssin_.  I don't go around shooting fireballs at targets.  They make one heck of a racket and attract way
too much attention.  Poisoned darts take too long to act.  Your target may have time to call for aid, teleport out of
there, or summon a demon.  The best assassinations are done quietly and with no fuss. Step out of the shadows
and carefully place 10 centimeters of steel in a vital spot.  If all goes according to plan -- and it does -- your target
will be dead before he has a chance to know what has happened to him.  Silent, quick, lethal.  Anything else is
less than professional.

yours sincerely,
Bhaalspawn

What I would like, though I can see that it would be hard to do, is to have a character go through the same walk
every night home.  By analysing his route you could find the one, two or three spots where you have a chance to
hide in shadows without the guards coming by, or some children playing getting in your way, some magician letting
off fireworks that illuminate everything, and so on and so forth.  Having found your correct spot you hide in the
shadows there one evening until the target comes by, and then you kill him.

I think this would be a lot of fun.  And challenging in a different sort of way.  But game engine limitations may make
the whole thing unworkable.

thanks very much,
Laura

Offline lac

• Planewalker
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2008, 04:21:32 PM »
re: killing Sir Alexis

a potion of invisibility should be as useful to Chris as an invisibility scroll.  Or having the spell cast on him should work
as well.

Offline lac

• Planewalker
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2008, 04:44:01 PM »
I just had to leave 3 bodies (2 shadow thief defectors and Gracen, their contact in Bodhi's guild) dead in a room on the top of the 5 flagons.  I would have  liked to have been able to tell Lynn to vanish  before the bodies were found.  Ideally, warning her what was up, should take place while those soon-to-be corpses were still breathing, to give her plenty of
time before any officials start showing up.

Bhaalspawn

Offline lac

• Planewalker
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2008, 04:00:43 AM »
Have you checked compatibility between Assasinations and the Extended Thief Stronghold?  I just had to go rescue one of my lackey thieves who had been arrested.  When I went to the jail, all the doors were still open (from when I was
searching for Sir Alexis).  And there were absolutely no guards around. My dopey lackey hadn't the sense to escape
before I talked with her, alas.

But I am wondering about those missing guards.  Since this is the first time I have done the Extended Thief Stronghold Quest, I do not know if not finding any guards at home is normal for it.  Or whether you tidied up by removing  all the guards after the successful Assassination, in which case  they ought to be there now, and I am getting off easy.  My button man back at the guild did say that my reputation was such that the Guards would probably all run away at the sight of me, but I did not take such things seriously.  So maybe all is working as it is supposed to -- though it would be slightly more realistic to leave my idiots behind _locked_ doors.  But finding the prison empty of guards sure surprised me.

back to more villainry,
Bhaalspawn + Laura

Offline lac

• Planewalker
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2008, 12:45:19 AM »
Oulav Steros wants you to deliver a bribe to the guards at the city gate.

There is a question you can ask -- why during the day?

But Oulav Steros did not ask you to deliver it during the day.  It's night now.  I will go see what happens if you
deliver the money at night, but if it is not important than removing that question seems in order, while if it is important, then Oluav should specify that.

Offline GarinaRayne

• Planewalker
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2009, 01:21:06 PM »
I'm really enjoying this mod so far. I'm currently trying to learn the identiy of Oulav's supplier before I top him. It's nice to have some decent quests for evil parties, especially missions you have to think about. Great change from the usual "go here, defeat the evil, come back" or "you must collect random significant objects to put in various locations in this dungeon."

I really enjoyed killing the Lathanderite, and really had to brace myself to kill Lord Melyn. This is the first time I've managed to play an evil character and not give up half way through due to feeling guilty (and a lack of compatible party members), but this mod makes it enjoyable and worthwhile. Silver dragons beware!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2009, 01:26:05 PM »
Thank you, and good luck with your current game!

Offline agnar

• Planewalker
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2009, 10:54:55 AM »
Hi, I just played assassinations for the first time, and it's really well done! There were a couple issues, one which I saw mentioned already, the boy appearing within bodhi's tomb just after killing her, instead of outside.

The other I'm not totally sure if it's an assassinations thing, or if it's some odd BG2 bug. I was playing an elf, with viconia in the party. Viconia will not romance elves, so i thought that would be safe, allowing me to romance lynn with no other romance ongoing. For some reason, though Viconia never did a single romance talk, she reacted like we were involved in the touchy spots during the game. When I agreed to sleep with a courtesan in the CC back rooms, when I slept with Phaere, and when I was "involved" with Lynn.

I know part of the time viconiaromanceactive was set to 1, despite no romance talks going on, so I guess her reaction to all those events is triggered by that variable? But I'm totally unsure why it was 1 instead of 3, seeing as I was an elf.

I did get Viconia's threat to whip me later after I got my soul back, but I never saw any other consequences. Are there more, or do they only happen if it's a romanceactive of 2?

Anyway, great mod as it is, just wanted to mention a couple things.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2009, 10:59:43 AM »
Hello,

Welcome to PPG, and glad you liked Assassinations.

Hopefully, the boy issue is fixed in v5(I really do hope so!).

As for Viconia, yes, she is meant to react to these events if your romance variable is 1. BG2 Tweaks has certain components that remove racial restrictions; check if you installed them.

Offline agnar

• Planewalker
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2009, 11:01:13 AM »
Well I was using version 5, or the zip file was named v5 anyway, so the boy thing wasn't fixed. He's a little pain in the ass huh? Just refuses to wait outside!  ;D

During that game i didn't have the racial things turned off, I purposely left the romance things off completely at that point, and i never got any of Viconia's romance talks so she clearly didn't think we were in a romance, except when I was spending time with Lynn. So sort of all the bad, none of the good there...  ;)

I'm trying to recall, I think that the viconiaromanceactive stays at 1, even if the viconiamatch is set to 0 indicating she's not interested. It will only go to 3 if the pc dismisses her actual advances, or manually sets it to 3. And obviously if she never starts the lovetalks I can't reject her. Not sure why the BG2 makers did it that way.

Offline GeN1e

• Planewalker
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2009, 02:55:22 PM »
Noticed the "Inspector Daton" thread and recalled what's been buggering me during the play - you shouldn't go after police inspectors. Think of it - they put a detective on your tail and suddenly said detective dies. The conclusion would be pretty much unambiguous.

Btw he's been the only person I didn't feel like killing. Sort of had to break the fourth wall.

Offline Froberg

• The Pocketplane Heathen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2009, 11:11:41 AM »
Noticed the "Inspector Daton" thread and recalled what's been buggering me during the play - you shouldn't go after police inspectors. Think of it - they put a detective on your tail and suddenly said detective dies. The conclusion would be pretty much unambiguous.

Btw he's been the only person I didn't feel like killing. Sort of had to break the fourth wall.

Meh, he didn't know who you were - he was only trying to find that out :p

Sends a pretty clear message. :D

Offline Luridel

• Planewalker
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2009, 11:18:33 PM »
With minimal spoilers: I was very satisfied to learn who the employer was, and (as a growing Realms lore fanatic) was very happy to be able to figure out and learn exactly who he was in the larger scheme of things.

The only real negative thing I have to say about Assassinations is that when playing as a female PC, I completely lose most of my attachment to Lynn. It would be nice to at least have the option to have -some- of the talks with her regardless of gender.

I had a hard time justifying my female PC's loyalty to her from a roleplaying perspective on any grounds other than the fact that my Charname happened to also be an assassin and was very tied up with the Shadow Thieves. A chance to develop, if not a friendship, at least some sort of mutual understanding by at least the fourth mission wouldn't be too out of place for a female PC, would it?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2009, 11:23:53 PM »
Good idea, yes. I'd think of something for the next version - maybe open up a few talks with her.  Thank you for your feedback!

PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2009, 08:59:04 PM »

I only played the first part of the mod, but my party just isn't evil enough - just a gang of thieves and mercenaries, not assassins. So I ended up killing Lyn. My only critisism to the mod is that it doesn't feel right that Lynn herself is an assassin. Why would a skilled assassin hire other assassins. So unless there is a logical answer to that which I would have found out if I went the evil path, it would probably be better if Lynnes was another class.

Offline Daulmakan

• Comfortably numb
  • Planewalker
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2009, 11:12:37 PM »

I only played the first part of the mod, but my party just isn't evil enough - just a gang of thieves and mercenaries, not assassins. So I ended up killing Lyn. My only critisism to the mod is that it doesn't feel right that Lynn herself is an assassin. Why would a skilled assassin hire other assassins. So unless there is a logical answer to that which I would have found out if I went the evil path, it would probably be better if Lynnes was another class.
Scapegoating, deniability. Plus, if you had played on, you would have seen that her abilities are currently diminished, hence your hiring.

Celia

« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2011, 03:46:41 AM »
Right now my greatest problem with Assassinations is that  there seems to be no way to sneak up to your target

This is exactly how I feel. And it starts at the very first mission : I cannot sneak up on Meylin without him magically seeing me (or even delude him into thinking I'm a bystander).

I sent Yoshimo invisible, but Meylin starts a conversation anyway, and end up shouting "guards ! guards !"
I'm disappointed, I wanted to play an assassination mod, not a thug mod.

Offline Ineth

• Planewalker
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2019, 01:39:48 AM »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: