Author Topic: UB v27 alpha version: EET fixes and a new restored item  (Read 12684 times)

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
UB v27 alpha version: EET fixes and a new restored item
« on: January 18, 2017, 05:23:23 PM »
I'm working on a new version of UB (v27) whose main feature will be compatibility with EET, by adding in the fixes for the Big World Project.  Unfortunately I do not have EET myself so I can only do very limited testing.

If you want to give it a spin, you can grab my current alpha version here: http://www.pearlgates.net/modding/UnfinishedBusiness-v27alpha.zip
But it is very much untested, so it might set your PC on fire or something.  Use at your own risk. :-)

Also please note, this is not an official download location.  Don't use it for anything other than testing.  I'll ask Kulyok to put a copy here on PPG as well.

Apart from the EET fixes, I added one new thing I grabbed from one of my personal meddlings: The Restored Items component will now restore misc9k, the Third journal of Irenicus.  It is found with the other two journals in Spellhold.  I'm neither a professional writer nor a very good role-player, so I hope my scribblings did our favorite mad wizard justice.  If you think you can do better than me, please feel free to let me know. ^^

Also, if any translators are paying attention, note that this adds a new string to be translated.

Offline Cahir

• Planewalker
Re: UB v27 alpha version: EET fixes and a new restored item
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 12:49:15 AM »
Angel it would be great if you coudl also give a shout of this in EET subforum at G3. I don't know how often K4thos visits PPG forums. 

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 02:51:41 AM »
Sure, I'll do that.  But feel free to make notes about this yourself anywhere you feel it is appropriate.  Not like this is a secret project or something.  Far on the contrary, I actually feel very honored to be working on one of the oldest mods out there.  Although it does leave me with a lot of ancient code to revise. ^^

Offline K4thos

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 06:11:27 AM »
from what I see everything from BWF regarding EET compatibility has been implemented (including recent Minsc changes) and the mod installs just fine on both BG2:EE and EET, so everything looks fine. I will request agb1 to use this build in BWS for EET so that more people could test it. Thanks for the effort!

edit: @1312 string in Polish translation of Item Restorations component seems to be missing.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:17:32 AM by K4thos »

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 12:22:01 PM »
edit: @1312 string in Polish translation of Item Restorations component seems to be missing.

I know, that's the new string for the restored item I added.  I do not speak Polish.  It's missing in all other translations as well.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:23:38 PM by Angel »

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 01:18:48 AM »
Angel,

it seems to me that this block you added:

Code: [Select]
  APPEND ~ACTION.IDS~
   ~31 SpellRES(S:RES*,O:Target*)
    95 SpellPointRES(S:RES*,P:Target*)
    113 ForceSpellRES(S:RES*,O:Target)
    114 ForceSpellPointRES(S:RES*,P:Target)
    160 ApplySpellRES(S:RES*,O:Target)
    181 ReallyForceSpellRES(S:RES*,O:Target)
    191 SpellNoDecRES(S:RES*,O:Target*)
    192 SpellPointNoDecRES(S:RES*,P:Target*)
    240 ReallyForceSpellDeadRES(S:RES*,O:Target)
    318 ForceSpellRangeRES(S:RES*,O:Target)
    319 ForceSpellPointRangeRES(S:RES*,P:Target)
    337 ReallyForceSpellPointRES(S:RES*,P:Target*)
    338 SetCutSceneLite(I:BOOL*BOOLEAN)~
  UNLESS ~SpellRES(S:RES*,O:Target*)~
  UNLESS ~25POST~

is spamming the ACTION.IDS file with several copies of itself.

I suspect it is appended once for each component of UB the user installs.

Thanks!

PS By the way, what does UNLESS ~25POST~ do?  :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:44:36 AM by Salk »

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 03:02:38 AM »
That piece of code wasn't written by me and I'm not entirely sure what it is supposed to do.  Add missing action IDs to a non-ToB install of BG2, I suspect.  I merely moved it to the ALWAYS block instead of having a copy of it at the start of every component.  Code efficiency, you know. :-)

Anyway, it seems the UNLESS clause is in error.  Whomever wrote it did not take into account that the UNLESS clause expects a regexp and thus gives a special meaning to the asterisks.  I'll see if I can whip up a fix for that, after I read up a little on IEDSP about what action.ids does.  Thanks for reporting!

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 03:26:00 AM »
Yes, I read about it too.

The problem is that the "*" needs to be escaped or WeiDU won't find the line.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:00:16 AM by Salk »

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 04:15:28 AM »
Funny, we came to practically the same solution. Although yours applies backslashes to a couple of wrong places. :-)

Zip file for the alpha on my site has been updated with this fix.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 04:26:48 AM »
Funny, we came to practically the same solution. Although yours applies backslashes to a couple of wrong places. :-)

:D

Yes, I pulled it out of there after realizing it was just a mess... :)

Let me take the opportunity to ask you something:

1) Version 26 was over 1 Mb bigger than 27 - how did that happen? :)

2) I suppose you have not found anything about the UNLESS ~25POST~? (I see it is no longer there in your latest upload)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:31:42 AM by Salk »

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 04:40:20 AM »
1) Version 26 was over 1 Mb bigger than 27 - how did that happen? :)

I left the __MACOSX directory out as it doesn't seem to do anything.  There are no references to it in the setup file and no other mod I have installed has anything like it.  I figured that if it was needed for anything, Mac users would start yelling at me, but so far that hasn't happened. :-)

2) I suppose you have not found anything about the UNLESS ~25POST~? (I see it is no longer there in your latest upload)

Nope, there's nothing about it on IEDSP, and it doesn't show up in any version of the game I have.  And since I went with the individual check for each line I figured it won't be needed.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:47:17 AM by Angel »

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 06:00:20 AM »
I know, that's the new string for the restored item I added.  I do not speak Polish.  It's missing in all other translations as well.
But it will popup error when trying to install this component. Could you just put English version of the text into polish /tra files until proper translation will be made?

Also, moving git repository from you private repo to github.com allow for stable download link - you could also user master branch/releases for download and developer/feature branch for development/fixes
Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games
Modder's Guide to Github - you cannot have progress without committing changes

Offline Isaya

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 09:09:31 AM »
UNLESS ~25POST~ is usually seen when patching PDIALOG.2DA, where this text appears, in order to check for ToB. I guess its prescence was just a result of pasting code without cleaning up.

Here is a French translation for the new text. I attached a file so that there is no issue with character encoding (CP1252). Thank you.

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »
UNLESS ~25POST~ is usually seen when patching PDIALOG.2DA, where this text appears, in order to check for ToB. I guess its prescence was just a result of pasting code without cleaning up.

Thank you Isaya.  I suspected something like that, but I have never messed with pdialog.2da before so I wasn't sure.  Anyway, it's cleaned up now so we should be good.

Here is a French translation for the new text. I attached a file so that there is no issue with character encoding (CP1252). Thank you.

But it will popup error when trying to install this component. Could you just put English version of the text into polish /tra files until proper translation will be made?

Alright, I updated the zip file with the French translation, and the English text as a placeholder in the other translation files.  I have some friends who can probably provide me with German and Russian translations, and maybe Spanish too.  I'll see what I can do, but in the meantime all help here would be appreciated.

Also, moving git repository from you private repo to github.com allow for stable download link - you could also user master branch/releases for download and developer/feature branch for development/fixes

I'm working on this, but I am not very familiar with github yet.

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 01:31:08 PM »
Alright, I got myself an account on GitHub, my meddlings with UB are here: https://github.com/AngelGryph/UnfinishedBusiness

Please note, I do not consider myself the owner of UB.  I'm happy to maintain and even add to it, but it's not my mod.  If the original owner(s), if they are still around, want it back, I will step down immediately.

Offline AL|EN

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 11:59:43 AM »
It wasn't so hard, isn't it? Thanks!
Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games
Modder's Guide to Github - you cannot have progress without committing changes

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »
It wasn't so hard, isn't it? Thanks!

With anxiety issues like mine, doing something new is never easy.  But admittedly, technically it was not that hard.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 11:04:54 AM »
First, thank goodness that awful ALWAYS block from the previous versions is gone. Just... ugh. You can still save yourself a bit of pain with...

ALWAYS
  ACTION_IF NOT VARIABLE_IS_SET ub_always THEN BEGIN
    OUTER_SET ub_always = 1 // just do this once per install
    // do stuff
  END
END

The stuff in the UB ALWAYS block only needs to be executed once per install, not once per component. This would speed up the install by skipping the ALWAYS block when it's not needed. Also, all of the action.ids have been available in a library for a while; grab tob2soa.tpa from Fixpack or just about anywhere.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »
First, thank goodness that awful ALWAYS block from the previous versions is gone. Just... ugh.

Heh yeah, I think that ALWAYS block is where I did most of the cleaning. Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better just to drop most of it and tell people to install the fixpack already. :-)

You can still save yourself a bit of pain with...

ALWAYS
  ACTION_IF NOT VARIABLE_IS_SET ub_always THEN BEGIN
    OUTER_SET ub_always = 1 // just do this once per install
    // do stuff
  END
END

The stuff in the UB ALWAYS block only needs to be executed once per install, not once per component. This would speed up the install by skipping the ALWAYS block when it's not needed. Also, all of the action.ids have been available in a library for a while; grab tob2soa.tpa from Fixpack or just about anywhere.

Done, and I externalized the ALWAYS block to lib/ub_always.tpa for easier editing while I was at it.  I haven't timed it, but it certainly looks faster without all the clutter.

As always for the alpha, no testing beyond installing it on a clean BG2 and making sure there are no errors or warnings.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 04:20:31 PM »
With BG2EE's restoration of import02.2da, Bala's Axe is already in the game. I received two copies (one BG2EE, one UB) when I did the planar sphere.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 04:51:13 PM »
With BG2EE's restoration of import02.2da, Bala's Axe is already in the game. I received two copies (one BG2EE, one UB) when I did the planar sphere.

Yeah, I think some others reported that one as well.  Alright, I'll exclude the axe from being imported on bg2ee.

Mm, while looking at it, maybe I should replace all those "add item by script" things for direct creature/area edits sometime.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:01:58 PM by Angel »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: