Author Topic: IWD NPC v5 for Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition  (Read 50893 times)

Offline CrevsDaak

• big kid lil' orc
  • Planewalker
  • duuuh graah
Re: IWD NPC v5 for Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 08:41:31 PM »
Hey Kulyok, is there something like a Level1NPC option for this mod? I'd love to play through this content again when I buy IWD:EE, but I'm not that keen on replaying IWD with the same character builds :)
Well, no officially, but you could ask from CrevsDaak to include these IWDEE NPCs and ask for a copy of the beta he is working on.
You could use the Enhanced Edition Keeper too.
I'd recommend using EEKeeper. I don't think IwD:EE compatibility is near.

Offline Grunker

• Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 04:03:37 AM »
Thanks to the both you, and sorry for the late reply. Just handed in my master's thesis.

I will try EEKeeper.

Offline Cahir

• Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2015, 07:43:50 AM »
Kulyok, I've been wondering if you'd be interested to write some banters between IWD NPCS's from this mod and NPC's from BG? With the upcoming Enhanced Edition Trilogy (EET) mod it would be extremely cool, if BG NPC's could interact with your IWD NPC's.

Just a thought ;)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2015, 10:29:56 AM »
Would that makes sense storywise? BG1 and IWD are different games with different stories, I think. I mean, you can write an engine that will mesh DA2 and DAO together, but DAA Anders won't talk to DA2 Anders, that might just not make sense. To me, at least. If, say, Teri were to appear in Baldur's Gate as an old, old woman fifty years later, that may be, but now? I'm just not sure.

Offline Cahir

• Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 12:13:32 PM »
Hmm, you made valid points, I admit, but AFAIK, K4thos made some changes while implementing IWDEE, so I'm not sure if timeline discrepancies will be an issue with EET. It is designed as an open world - no time travels etc. I'll let him now about our conversation, so he could explain a few things about IWD-in-EET implementation and express his opinion if additional banters would indeed have no sense at all. I just thought it would be cool to see some banters between IWD and BG(2) NPC's.

Offline K4thos

• Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 05:52:55 PM »
IWD-in-EET is a separate mod for BG2:EE with EET installed on top of it that adds IWD:EE and some IWD2 content into Baldur's Gate games. I will just re-post what I've already said on SHS regarding the implementation:
IWD areas will be available on the northern part of the worldmap.  If you, as a player, decide for whatever reason to travel far north than you can do just that. No silly time travel explanations or far-fetched excuses to get there. The implementation is inspired by open world games. Treat it as yet another optional destination area on your worldmap that you can travel to and from any time.

To be more precise:
- unlike Bhaalspawn crisis, as far as I know Icewind questline is not considered canon. I'm yet to find any mention about IWD1 story or any of its characters in Forgotten Realms lore. So it doesn't really matter when exactly it takes place.
- currently you can travel there on foot. Area link with Eastheaven opens up if you take northern exit from Upper Chiontar area (north of Baldur's Gate City, in vanilla game this area is available even in chapter 1, if you keep travelling north).
- how long the travel on foot will take hasn't been decided yet (for now it takes 1 week)
- Targos (IWD2 content, designed for higher level parties) will be available via ship travelling (just the first time - once you get there you can move back and forth via worldmap). As has been mentioned in IWD2 intro Targos needs help dealing with goblinoids problem and notices have been posted through the cities promising wealth and fame for adventures that would help with this task. So, the only thing added here is additional expeditions from Baldur's Gate (intro mentions Neverwinter and Luskan).

Due to the way IWD:EE content is implemented (all files converted on the fly) IWD-in-EET offers limited compatibility with mods installed on IWD:EE previous to installing it on EET (BG2:EE). Including your mod (if you don't mind that is). Banters between your NPCs and vanilla ones would be indeed cool.

If you are not interested in expanding your mod is such way than the current implementation seems good enough. But let me know if additional banters may be an option. In such case I would be interested in helping with adding native IWD-in-EET support to your mod (the process can be mostly automatized).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:38:30 PM by K4thos »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 06:53:40 AM »
That's both interesting and ambitious. Indeed, IWD-in-BG2 engine looks like a success, in my opinion, and a huge bg-iwd space might be a head-turning project, too.

I'm very sorry, but I couldn't find your project on SHS. Is it complete, is it in progress, is there a beta, a suggestions thread? Sorry, I couldn't find a separate forum so I was a little lost.

I think it has merit, but first and foremost I would consider this: if you go to IWD with BG characters, it means that you'll be playing the plot of IWD (as a HUGE subplot) with BG characters. That means that you'll need extra interjections and scenery dialogue (with optional romantic branches) for Anomen, Jaheira, maybe Kivan and Xan, etc. That WOULD be very cool, and that's what I would start with.

Because otherwise, sure, one may write banters with, say, Nella and Jan Jansen, but that would make little sense if Jan is silent throughout IWD content. (If you take a look, IWD NPC chars banter and talk in every area and every major conversation, and I don't think it's too much - it makes the game interesting).

So, I would propose IWD scenery conversations and interjections for BG companions as a good first step. (maybe not EVERYONE, Faldorn and Quayle and all, but at least Minsc and Imoen and Jaheira and other fan favorites). Then, when they're talkative - more crossmod.

I'd be interested (though I'm busy with some other stuff in the coming weeks), but I think I'd have to know more about your project, and if I might suggest it (sorry if it's not my business, just a thought): you may need more marketing - i.e. recruit people at G3 and PPG, advertise your mod, get a forum board at G3 or SHS or PPG if you haven't already and so on.

EDIT: Storywise I would just offer to forget the timeline. I.e. don't think about the year at all, forget that topic, say the events happened roughly in the same few years, that's it.

Offline Cahir

• Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »

Kulyok, I think the reason why EET is not advertised is that it's still in beta stage and many cool features will be functional when 1.4 patches for BGEE and BG2EE and the new Beamdog's expansion Siege of Dragonspear come out. Currently K4thos is adding, changing and testing stuff and I suspect he will plan to advertise the mod more when it will be closer to completion.

Anyway, if you want to read more about EET, try this topic: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/57967-bgt-and-the-enhanced-edition-releases/

If you want to take a look at the beta or read a Readme her's a EET Github https://github.com/K4thos/EET

Back to my initial request. When I said banters I have mainly scenery conversations and interjections in mind, yes. I didn't think about romance dialogues with Jaheira, Anomen, Vicky etc., because this would be a lot of work (although fantastic). I just wish some kind of relationship with IWD and BG characters if possible.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2015, 08:14:22 AM »
Well, yeah, but again, it would only make sense if BG characters themselves are not silent, so I think that should be a priority. Jaheira talking to Arundel, Anomen mentioning giants, Viconia speaking in the land of the drow.

(romance dialogues - no, I don't think anyone would bother; but romance-related dialogue  options, like in DAI, are possible. A kiss in the middle of a scenery conversation, if you're romancing this person, for example).

And then it might require the opposite - "hey, BG and IWD are one now, why not add content for IWD characters for BG, while you're at it?" Which is TOO much, frankly, given how Xan's megabytes of text took months and lots of attention. :)

Offline K4thos

• Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 01:46:51 PM »
I'm very sorry, but I couldn't find your project on SHS. Is it complete, is it in progress, is there a beta, a suggestions thread? Sorry, I couldn't find a separate forum so I was a little lost.

I'd be interested (though I'm busy with some other stuff in the coming weeks), but I think I'd have to know more about your project, and if I might suggest it (sorry if it's not my business, just a thought): you may need more marketing - i.e. recruit people at G3 and PPG, advertise your mod, get a forum board at G3 or SHS or PPG if you haven't already and so on.
As Cahir mentioned the reason why both EET and IWD-in-EET are not advertised more at this time is due to dependency on BG2:EE patch 1.4 (needed to implement continuous chapter/journal system which also means no restrictions in travelling to old areas that are now forced due to chapter variable value) and Siege of Dragonspear expansion releases (vital part of the story). Both need to be out before EET and IWD-in-EET can be officially released. There is no info yet about when this will happen, so promoting it in the current state is a little problematic considering current beta is not really representative to how the mod will work in the end.

I agree that getting a subforum and discussing development, ideas etc. would be great. In fact there are already some topics regarding these mods on Children of Bhaal Polish forum, where we gathered tons of valuable feedback. I've tried to get in contact with SHS administration requesting a separate section where we could publicly discuss the mod, but didn't receive a reply as of yet. That is the first place that came to my mind considering how closely SHS is associated with BGT, although EET is not really a continuation of that mod (different goals, little to no common code), so finding a home on other board is an option too, providing the administration of G3 or PPG would be interested in housing it.

As for the development progress:
- EET is completed when it comes to BG:EE and BG2:EE content. Features that will be possible to implement after patch 1.4 are finished too (this code lays on private repository as it's not usable on current patch),
- Siege of Dragonspear will be implemented after the closed beta for it starts.
- IWD:EE (via separate mod called IWD-in-EET) portion is finished although needs testing.
- IWD2 portion (first worldmap of the three available in that game - Targos and surrounding areas) are currently in early stages of development.

The reason why IWD-in-EET is not on public repository is because Icewind areas are meant to be added on the northern part of the EET worldmap, above lands added by SoD expansion. Showing the worldmap art with Siege of Dragonspear areas would be spoilerish and almost definitely would be against Beamdog NDA. On the other hand currently (due to lack of finished worldmap art) IWD-in-EET uses default IWD worldmaps for testing purpose, switching on the fly between BG and IWD ones with SetWorldmap() action, so at least for now the mod can be hosted on the open repository. I can send the current version of the mod to those interested in writing banters or other content for it.

So, I would propose IWD scenery conversations and interjections for BG companions as a good first step. (maybe not EVERYONE, Faldorn and Quayle and all, but at least Minsc and Imoen and Jaheira and other fan favorites). Then, when they're talkative - more crossmod.
Agreed. Gigantic effort like BG1 NPC Project would be far excessive, but adding scenery conversations and interjections in few crucial parts of the story, at least for the fan favourites, would be a really good start to make the mod far closer to BG experience.

It would be great if such experienced writer as you Kuylok would be interested in contributing to this project. Of course we are also open to other modders that could help writing content for characters. I'm not really a writer myself and don't have experience with coordinating things related to dialogues. My English skills are also not good enough to offer proofreading. I can however help with coding it if needed. It would be great if someone would take the lead of this aspect of the mod (for example you Kuylok, if you find time for it in the future). I will gladly grant you full access to GitHub accounts and forum section (when some message board allow us to create one) to make editing and coordinating writing tasks easier.

EDIT: Storywise I would just offer to forget the timeline. I.e. don't think about the year at all, forget that topic, say the events happened roughly in the same few years, that's it.
yep, that's how its meant to work. When it comes to IWD1 content it doesn't even require changes in dialogues because characters don't really mention dates/events/characters recorded in the official Forgotten Realms lore. IWD2 is a little more problematic due to overlapping storyline with IWD1 in later chapters. That's why IWD2 portion is limited (at least initially) only to the first worldmap where the quest to resolve Targos problems can be already treated as an optional standalone adventure (similar to Trademeet questline in BG2).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:07:10 PM by K4thos »

Offline Warren1965

• Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2016, 06:19:16 PM »
Having just figured out how to install a windows mod to the Linux version of IWDEE I am ridiculously pleased with myself. Also ridiculously pleased with having your NPCs available again. Your mod really adds to my enjoyment of the game thank you very much.

Warren Henderson

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2016, 03:56:40 PM »
Thank you very, very much, and welcome to PPG!

And well done! I'm not sure I'd have been able to do it on Linux, myself.

Fluke

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2018, 02:51:34 PM »
Hi, is anyone still updating iwdnpc? I think there are two main outstanding bugs, which have been brought up before:

1) The ladies using male voices when casting spells (e.g. for Terri as mage/thief and the other woman as fighter/druid.)
2) No scripts

I played on the beamdog, latest 2.5 iwdee version, using version 6 of your mod, thanks very much

Offline Jab

• Planewalker
    • Sigil
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2019, 02:40:03 PM »
I already used this mod few times and what it brings to the game is truly amazing! It is really a must have for any new game Enhanced Edition playthrough. It is even more important for me than Tweaks Anthalogy, which is amazing. I would recommend adding Portraits Portraits Everywhere and perhaps Divine Remix. But really, its mainly IWD NPC, that changes the game for the better.

Offline IceDragon

• Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2021, 10:07:49 PM »
I'm not sure if I have posted this before. It has been years since I last played or been here. I just want to say that I love this mod it really took IWD from a good game to one of my favorite games. Thanks for your awesome work, Kulyok, both for on the original and more recently making it compatible w/ IWD: EE.  :)
Perception equals reality.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: