Author Topic: An (Interesting) Issue With Daystar +4  (Read 9199 times)

Offline Xukuth

• Planewalker
An (Interesting) Issue With Daystar +4
« on: July 24, 2013, 02:26:22 AM »
Oddly enough, Daystar +4 is damaging my characters when they equip it.  Even more interesting is that it seems to be a constant amount that varies per character - CHARNAME and Keldorn take 2 damage, but Edwin takes 2 damage and then 1 additional damage for a total of 3 damage. The Imp's changelog tool shows the following:

Mods affecting C2SW1H01.ITM:
00000: /* from game biffs */ ~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ 0 0 // Shadows Of Amn Item Upgrades -> Original list version: v39
00001: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v22(BETA)
00002: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ 0 2170 // Cast Spells from Scrolls (and Other Items)
at Character Level: v11
00003: ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ 0 1 // Tweak weapon proficiencies for some classes
(a la Ashes of Embers and aVENGER's Rogue Rebalancing): v1.9

However, replacing the c2sw1h01.itm file from its original source (Item Upgrade) doesn't fix the issue.

Any ideas on what's causing this and/or how to fix it?

e: Perhaps unsurprisingly, the un-upgraded Daystar doesn't exhibit this behavior.

Also, the upgraded version's melee ability is weird - it has two effects, one of which calls DBLDEAD as I might expect:

Type: Use EFF file (177)
Targettype: TargetPresetTarget (2)
Power: 0
IDS target: General.IDS - 3 / UNDEAD - 4
Duration: Instant/Permanent (1)
Dispel/Resistance: Not dispel/Not bypass resistance (2)
Time: 0
Probability 1: 100
Probability 2: 0
Resource: DBLDEAD.EFF
# dice / Max level: 0
Dice size / Min level: 0
Savetype: ( No save )
Save bonus: 0
Unknown: 00 00 00 00 h

and this one, which I have no idea what it does or is supposed to do

Type: Hold creature type (175)
IDS target: Unknown - 0 / Unknown value - 4
Duration: Instant/Limited (0)
Dispel/Resistance: Dispel/Not bypass resistance (1)
Time: 30
Unknown: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 h

Meanwhile the original Daystar has 3 effects on its melee ability, none of which are surprising:

IDS target: Align.IDS - 8 / MASK_EVIL - 3
Resource: EVILDAM2.EFF

Dispel/Resistance: No dispel/Bypass resistance (0)
Resource: DAYSTAR1.EFF

Resource: DBLDEAD.EFF

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:42:44 AM by Xukuth »

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
    • Azazello’s Music Profile at Last.fm
Re: An (Interesting) Issue With Daystar +4
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 02:55:02 PM »
If this is similar to this report: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=16479 - it should be fixed in G3 BG2 Fixpack.

If it's not, maybe mod install order problem?
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls
========================================
"Deception has many faces. Truth...has only one."

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 04:30:59 PM »
The problem is that the EFFs called by (the normal) Daystar get changed by the Fixpack to fix a whole host of issues. The upgraded Daystar is probably referencing the same EFFs, expecting them to be the old opcode. It's an easy fix, but something that should be fixed in Item Upgrade itself.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Xukuth

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 03:56:28 PM »
The problem is that the EFFs called by (the normal) Daystar get changed by the Fixpack to fix a whole host of issues. The upgraded Daystar is probably referencing the same EFFs, expecting them to be the old opcode. It's an easy fix, but something that should be fixed in Item Upgrade itself.

Do you think if I changed Daystar +4 to use the ordinary Daystar effs I could fix the issue without screwing anything up too badly?

It looks like this is the upshot of the Fixpack-modified Daystar effects:

First off, the base +dmg/+thac0 of Daystar is +2, which makes sense, since these are the appropriate global bonuses

Then the effects applied on melee hit:
  • Calls evildam2.eff if target is evil, which applies a 2 slashing damage bonus (as per description)
  • Calls daystar1.eff, which calls daystar2.eff if target is evil (??? - why not just call daystar2 if target is evil?), which applies a 2 magic damage bonus (??? - this appears to be unwarranted bonus damage if target is evil, unless I'm misreading something)
  • Calls dbldead.eff if target is undead, which appears to apply a 1d8+2 magic damage bonus (as per description)

While looking at Daystar +4, I noticed that it perhaps is applying more-or-less the correct effects (EVILDAM2 and DAYSTAR1), but it's calling them globally instead of on melee hit, which I gather is a deprecated use since it applies the bonuses if the item is equipped in the offhand.  It also has some quite unusual other global effects, like a Charisma bonus of 0, a max HP bonus of 0, an Attack Roll penalty against self vs evil of 0, protection from creature type: summoned_demon (I assume this is supposed to simulate Protection from Evil as listed in the description).

Since I haven't the foggiest what most of these global effects are supposed to do or whether they're working correctly, I won't mess with them other than the ones I understand.

If I wanted to change C2SW1H01.ITM (Daystar +4) to a more-or-less correct implementation, could I:
    Remove the EVILDAM2 and DAYSTAR1 effects from Globals and create new, more appropriate effects and move them onto the Melee ability, like e.g.

• an effect that calls EVILDAM3 if target is evil, which applies a 4 slashing damage bonus (as description)
    • an effect that calls DAYSTAR3, which calls DAYSTAR 4 if target is evil, which applies a 4 magic damage bonus (assuming the Fixpack-modified Daystar should have this effect)
    • an effect that calls DBLDEAD2.eff that applies the correct 1d8+4 for the upgraded version?

Note: I am certain that all the behavior I am describing from the Item Upgraded Daystar +4 is actually an Item Upgrade issue rather than an install order issue, because I looked at C2SW1H01 in the original Item Upgrade install files and it has the same behavior as I describe here.

As a side note, does anyone know how to make the most recent version of NI (from
here) search through Override before baked-in BIFs for EFF files? It's been kind of a pain opening these EFFs since the View/Edit interface from the item no longer automatically pulls up the EFFs from the Override like Jon Olav Hauglid's latest version (out-of-date though it may be). I have made sure that "Ignore Override Files" is not checked in the Options.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 04:07:40 PM »
It's an easy enough fix; I'll be pushing a new version to JC soon-ish.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Xukuth

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:36:31 PM »
Aha! The miscellaneous non-bonuses (Charisma, HP) appear to have been basically a side-effect.  It looks like Weimer just copied the global effs wholesale from the Sensate Amulet (WA2AMU) and set the non-desired bonuses to zero.  I will worry about it no more.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: