Author Topic: Murder of Acton Balthis  (Read 16323 times)

Offline Thimblerig

• Planewalker
Murder of Acton Balthis
« on: September 21, 2013, 07:30:05 AM »
Is it possible to finish this quest without

- Quataris calling his guards on you
- You killing the guards in self-defense, and
- You losing a whopping chunk of Reputation for said self-defense?

I mean, I tried immobilising them, but Quataris wouldn't talk about confessions until they were dead.

Have I missed something?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Murder of Acton Balthis
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 07:43:32 AM »
Hey, welcome to PPG!

Thank you for reporting. Hmmm, now that's interesting. I killed these guys(guards) during testing, and no reputation loss happened. Will you please post your Weidu.log, so I could address this issue when I'm back from vacation?

You could also try pickpocketing Quataris and returning to Brega with the bust(I should probably add a line or two for THAT particular option, heheh).

(By the way, THIS report has a VERY good chance of being forgotten/overlooked, because it's not in the main bug thread).

Offline Thimblerig

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »
Sure.  Wasn't sure if it counted as a bug or not.

And thanks.

Is it still sunny?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 12:16:37 AM »
It's definitely unintended behavior, so I'm going to check it out. Red circles are good, reputation loss is something I want to avoid. I have a feeling that Fixpack changes these guards to "innocents", which doesn't make sense to me, as they're 1) armed; 2) corrupt. Anyway, will check. I wish this laptop copied my exe files from my desktop properly, so I could do it in-game *today*, not after the vacation. Win8 sucks.

Offline Thorass

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »
The quest seems to be bugged: Haer'Dalis got arrested, I talked to inspector Brega, visited Balthis Estate and talked to his servant, after which I went to Waukeen's Promenade and got Quataris' confession; talked to Brega again, went to prison and got Haer'Dalis released - but the quest does not update as completed - Haer'Dalis does not even have any dialogue for the situation, only responding as if I am dropping him from the party. So, what's going on?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 12:33:20 AM »
Mmm. I had such an issue once, and reloading an auto-save fixed that. Will you try it?

Offline Thorass

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 06:42:55 AM »
Unfortunately this doesn't help. I did some testing by loading a much earlier save and starting the quest all over again - it seems that Haer'Dalis has no new lines of dialogue other than those he spouts when he gets arrested ( I am under the impression that he is supposed to have a bunch of dialogue when you visit him in prison even before solving the murder) - I visited him in jail before solving the murder, but even then he just acts as if I am dropping him from the party.

I can confirm that Haer'Dalis' execution will happen if I take too much time and this will result in the quest being updated as being no longer active. So, I'm thinking - could I use CLUAConsole to get Haer'Dalis say whatever he is supposed to say when I get him released  and get the quest status updated?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:08:17 AM by Thorass »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »
Which install do you have, BG2 or BG2EE? I'm thinking the problem lies with Haer'Dalis's 9-letter filename, which normally worked in BG2, but I'm not so sure about BG2EE now. No, console won't help.

And I'll be happy to get your weidu.log and your saved game at kulyok,
at yandex.ru - but only if it's BG2.

Offline Thorass

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 03:17:47 AM »
Which install do you have, BG2 or BG2EE? I'm thinking the problem lies with Haer'Dalis's 9-letter filename, which normally worked in BG2, but I'm not so sure about BG2EE now. No, console won't help.

And I'll be happy to get your weidu.log and your saved game at kulyok,
at yandex.ru - but only if it's BG2.

Well, it is the Enhanced Edition that I'm playing.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:21:37 AM by Thorass »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 03:48:22 AM »
Uh-oh. I'll write Kaeloree and ask - we'll fix it, absolutely. In the meantime - I don't know, really, unless you would like to reload before the quest and set SetGlobal("O#UBHaerDalisQuestStart","GLOBAL",1000)

Offline Thorass

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 04:01:56 AM »
That's fine; I'll just reload an earlier save.  8)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 01:15:08 AM »
:) I've spoken to Kaeloree and Avenger on this, and *hopefully* it was a one-time fluke, but all reports, help and information on this is very welcome. I've also opened a Q&A topic at G3.
http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=25972

Offline Thorass

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
It doesn't seem to work correctly, no matter what: I even uninstalled the game and did a fresh installation with just the Murder of Acton Balthis component installed - no change to my situation with Haer'Dalis. :(

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 06:57:38 AM »
I'm far and well away until the end of the holidays(~9th, if all goes well), so I'm afraid I can only recommend you to skip the quest entirely with the variable I provided. But I would be grateful if you zip your save folders for 1) before Haer'Dalis kidnapping 2) Haer'Dalis is in jail; together with your weidu.log file and send them to me at kulyok,
at yandex.ru (my mail).

@Folks, if you are more familiar with BG2EE than me, all suggestions are very much appreciated. :)

Offline Caszidy

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 05:24:31 AM »
Sorry for replying in this post, but I feel it´s unnecesarry to start new thread for my question  ;) which is: Should I install this component (murded of Acton Balthis) of Unfinished Business, when I want to also install Haer´Dalis romance? Will there be some conflict/bug? I didn´t find anywhere if Haer´Dalis romance mod contains this content ???

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 10:06:26 AM »
I don't think they interact at all, no. Haer'Dalis is required to leave your party for a time, however, and it's up to the romance how to deal with it. Most probably it'll be okay, but no promises.

Offline Caszidy

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 07:41:59 AM »
Thanx  ;)

Cane

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2022, 11:43:43 PM »
I'm having the same issue now as Thorass was having years ago. Following the exact same steps, I also end up in a state where the quest cannot be completed. I get the Writ of Innocence and go to get HD out of prison, present the guards with the writ, and talk to HD--but he doesn't say anything about it, he just has the generic "are we splitting the party or not" line.

Incidentally, I can also make him join (or leave and go to an inn) before I have the Writ.

The global var above to stop the quest from starting also does not work, I assume because the variable has changed. What's the new one?

Cane

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2022, 12:45:21 AM »
I had a look through the event code, and the variables are the same so I can only assume I'm screwed by the 3-day hidden global timer going off and setting the variable to 1 no matter what.

However, by pausing and killing the guards with Ctrl+Y before they can talk, I *may* be skipping the rest of the script. I only hope this mess of programming didn't pause something unrelated.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: