Author Topic: Quest Pack needs an update really badly!  (Read 13612 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Quest Pack needs an update really badly!
« on: September 09, 2013, 07:28:59 AM »
We need a hero! Or several. Or just someone who knows what they're doing.

Quest Pack has not been maintained for a long time. It's not a bad thing per se - many mods are old and stable.

But given the number of bug reports, and the fact that people are wary of recommending it(though it's a fine mod with fine content), we really need to make QP safe to play. I can't do it - there's stuff like new abilities and AI updates and tph files. But some of you know what must be done. So, I implore you, please help.

- Big World Text Pack and Big World Fixpack add numerous translation updates and fixes to the Quest Pack. We probably need that incorporated, with thanks to the guys who reported and translated and fixed that.
http://kerzenburg.baldurs-gate.eu/downloads.php?cat=10

- There is also Sim's very own QP beta v3.0 here:
http://mods.pocketplane.net/qpbeta.rar

- temujin's fixes are gone, but Graoumf has gracefully sent me a link with a French translation of .tra files already included, and I've uploaded it here(since temujin had it out in the open, I do really hope it's okay):
http://mods.pocketplane.net/D0QuestPack_v2.4.zip

Please, note that either of these three versions may or may not end up in a completely safe playthrough, which is why we need an update.

- Any and all updated translations, apart from Big World ones and the French translation from the link above: we need those included, too. If you have an updated translation, or a new translation, please, post a link here.

- And there're five pages of bug reports, back from April 2006, including Cam's helpful suggestions here and here. So, yes, it's not going to be an easy walk in the woods.

In the meantime, we need a Mac version for the Quest Pack for those two and a half people that actually play BG2 on Mac. We don't currently have one. If you have one or can make one, please, post a link here, and we'll upload it to the servers.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
Re: Quest Pack needs an update really badly!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 03:32:55 PM »
I'd volunteer to help, but when beta-testing UB v20 you finished and released just as I was finishing Nalia's keep. The upshot being that I don't seem to have much time these days.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Graoumf

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 06:09:29 PM »
Kulyok, I sent to you in April the 13th a link towards version 2.4 we made with Temujin fixes. Please note that QP isn't well traified: there is a traify in english and russian in BWP.
Nobody has the link except you.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 12:40:00 AM »
Yep, I have it, thank you! I'm going to update it to the server and link it to the first post in a moment. Come to think of it, v3 needs to be out here, too.

@Cam - let us know if you ever get to the end of SoA. Who knows, maybe Jason will have deArnise ToB for you by then. :)

Offline Graoumf

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 05:04:06 AM »
That's great.
I don't know if you traify the mod, because the traify of v2.3 is not complete. So the french translation is not complete. QP should have around 3000 strings to translate - it's a huge mod.

In v2.4, there is only an update for the french translation with the old Sacha and Matt's translation of Revised Hell Trials component.
If Pete is going to work on the v3 beta, it may worth to wait the new version to traify and see how many strings we'll have.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:05:44 AM by Graoumf »

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:48:55 AM »
I'm willing to do this, starting in a few days, once I'm done with another update.

Offline GeN1e

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 05:32:34 PM »
- temujin's fixes are gone
I have the archive saved on HDD, shout if you need it.

And yeah, if Wisp is willing, then go ahead. Much like Cam, I'm rather busy elsewhere for now.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 04:54:45 AM »
If it's different from the version I posted(third link in the post, because that version should be the one temujin's fixes), then, please, send it to my e-mail in or post a link here.

Aaaand just in case: I'm on two-week vacation from the next week(though I'll probably be unhelpful in all Quest-Pack-link-stuff-related-matters anyway).

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 07:48:18 AM »
We've gotten several requests for a fully BG2EE-compatible version of Quest Pack. I'm not sure I can approach this monster(actually, just the opposite), and there're quite a few different betas.

It's probably best to wait for a Quest Pack update and _then_ make it fully compatible with BG2:EE, right? Or not?

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 08:21:56 AM »
IIRC, I mostly just need to fix the traification (somewhat considerable task) and fix some bugs (not an inconsiderable task) and that version will be bugfixed, friendly to translators and ready to be beta-tested by the eager masses. So I guess I had better get it done while they're still eager (but no promises).

Offline Cahir

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »
IIRC, I mostly just need to fix the traification (somewhat considerable task) and fix some bugs (not an inconsiderable task) and that version will be bugfixed, friendly to translators and ready to be beta-tested by the eager masses. So I guess I had better get it done while they're still eager (but no promises).

Wisp I'm very eager one man mass for example:) I've put a word on Official EE Edition forum that you shown interest in updating Quest Pack. I hope you don't mind:)
We just desperately need it on BG2EE.

sergio1992

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »
I'm still there, looking to play it :D

Offline roshan

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 04:27:53 PM »
Hi guys! Is the update for the EE in progress? If so, any ETA? Eagerly awaiting this! :)

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 06:36:30 PM »
Well, as an update from last, there is now "just" some known bugs left to be fixed, but I seem to have caught a case of super-busy, together with some slight burned-out, so progress has temporarily stalled.

Offline roshan

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 07:48:50 PM »
Well, it's good to know that progress was made! At the "slightly burned out" stage it's always nice to take a nice break, rather than continue until you're completely burned out! Anyway thanks, I appreciate you taking the effort and time.

Cav

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 03:43:10 AM »
It's been a few months since there was activity here, so I'd like to volunteer to step up and finish the updates if Wisp is still burned out. I'm still cutting my teeth on modding IE games, but I have the basics down, and I'm a quick learner. All I would need is the work that Wisp has done already and a big to-do list of things that still needed to be finished. I definitely wouldn't be able to convert it for EE, but I think I have it in me to finish updating the basic package and release it into the wild for beta testing and such.

Offline Cahir

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 04:26:17 AM »
Yeah, but converting it to EE is the main reason I'm waiting for it. Didn't play this mod yet, but "on paper" it sounds delicious.

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 12:07:34 PM »
It's been a few months since there was activity here, so I'd like to volunteer to step up and finish the updates if Wisp is still burned out. I'm still cutting my teeth on modding IE games, but I have the basics down, and I'm a quick learner. All I would need is the work that Wisp has done already and a big to-do list of things that still needed to be finished. I definitely wouldn't be able to convert it for EE, but I think I have it in me to finish updating the basic package and release it into the wild for beta testing and such.
I appreciate the sentiment, but the remaining issues are mostly difficult ones and are not something I'd want to hand off to someone who's just getting started. I should hopefully have something ready soon, once I've finished with an update to aTweaks.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: