Author Topic: Just starting Sellswords but ...  (Read 11104 times)

Offline egbert

• Planewalker
Just starting Sellswords but ...
« on: July 23, 2013, 03:59:54 AM »
ROLEPLAYING, in Chapter 6 I have no time for mercenary work!

1.-10.  I want Immoen's and my souls back!!! ASAP!!!
11. I just escaped the Underdark: Menzoberrazan? No, thank you!
12. I need no money!

IMHO you should replace your mod (to Chapters 2/3 or ToB).

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Just starting Sellswords but ...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 04:11:13 AM »
I think these are perfectly valid concerns. (Strangely, a mod I'm working on right now addresses exactly these concerns, including Imoen. I *think* you might enjoy it for the roleplaying reasons when it's ready).

I think I would decline Kimmuriel's offer, too, if I cared about my soul, or Imoen's soul, or anything at that point. My protagonist feels rather empty, though: she vaguely knows that something's wrong with her but doesn't really care.

But what if...
- you've lost your soul but you aren't feeling any different, really, and you really don't think it's that urgent, despite Keldorn's/Viconia's urgings?
- you've stopped caring, basically - you know on some level that you must get your soul back, but such things are no longer relevant to your soulless persona?
- you're intrigued by drow and you believe your time in Ust Natha was the best few days/months of your life, and to hell with everything else?
- you always enjoy the smell of new adventure?
- you're a girl who liked Kimmuriel(THAT voice!)?

I think these are interesting enough reasons to journey to Menzoberranzan. And if not, there's one more: before going to meet Kimmuriel, you DON'T know that you're going to go to the Underdark(roleplaying, yay!) When you meet Kimmuriel, he explains the situation, but he doesn't allow you to say 'no': if you do, he shrugs and teleports you anyway, just like he's teleported Artemis Entreri. Drow will be drow.

P.S. There's no spoiler info in this thread yet, but just to check - you've got access to the beta forum, right? If you do, I would like you to post bug reports and issues there, so don't lose any valuable info. (And, yep, spoilers).

Offline Ishad Nha

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 08:10:37 PM »
If this were real, Egbert's concerns would be shared by many possible protagonists.
Underdark part, chapter 5, was not unduly tough or traumatizing?!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 12:38:11 AM »
I think you're right. If this were real, I'd run away screaming!

Though the Child of Bhaal might feel certain... affinity with drow and their evil. To be honest, I loved it! Arena, Lust Chambers, killing surface adventurers, being a prisoner of the illithids, watching the drow kill their slaves and slaughter their own sons like it was nothing - yay, cool stuff! Ahem. Then again, I AM a fan of the Sellswords trilogy.

Offline Lava

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 02:57:10 AM »
Guys, no one is forcing the main character to follow the plot of the mod. It's a *chance*, not a must-do thing. If you and your CHARNAME would rather get the soul back, then go for it.

Cheers!

Offline ViniJones

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
The idea of a CHARNAMEĀ“s soul still makes me smile after finishing the mod. Also, the Slayer is pretty damn sweet, souls are overrated. The whole idea of the world ending might be a priority though.

Also I didnt find the original Underdark section tough or traumatazing, perhaps the whole drow superior approach... made me wanna kill them... :D

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 12:14:37 AM »
Heheheh. I was going for that. :)

I've finished another mod in the meantime - it's centered about stealing souls and CHARNAME's soul in particular, so it might be interesting. I'm going to release it fairly soon, I think - maybe even together with Sellswords.

Offline Eva Galana

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 10:52:04 AM »
I played through last night for the first time; LOVED THIS MOD.  It is now the new mainstay for all of my playthroughs. Although, I did wonder 'why' I was doing this when I didn't have my soul.  My gal answered that pretty quickly - she's a cleric of Tymora.  'Nuff said!

Loved 'flirting' with Kimmuriel (his voice...Entrieri's voice....melted into a puddle).  And, when you meet all three of these rather....ah...delicious men, they said some things that made me think 'is Kulyok gonna make a ToB mod for this, too?  *waggles eyebrows*  'Cause, well, that would be way cool.

Now, I'm thinking I may have gone through too quickly and missed some interesting content!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »
:) I've been thinking of ToB part, but it has to be a darn good idea. And, yes, Kimmuriel is totally hot(fangirl here!), and other actors have been pretty amazing. So glad you liked it!

Offline Eva Galana

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 04:57:47 PM »
Would you mind if I worked up an idea and got it to you?  I have a vague idea I'd like to work up (I don't mod...).

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 01:32:10 AM »
Certainly, I'll be glad to read it, but I just worry you might be disappointed if it doesn't necessarily get adopted at all or at once.

Offline Eva Galana

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 04:49:32 PM »
No worries.  I was greatly involved in the modding community for NWN when it was still at IGN (Academy of Modding Excellence, reviewers' guild, beta tester, writer...) so I understand completely how sometimes it's just the idea of it that gets the blood pumping.  Personally, I'm just happy to know can bounce ideas off someone and (hopefully) won't get laughed off the boards!

Offline Thimblerig

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 07:43:36 AM »
ROLEPLAYING, in Chapter 6 I have no time for mercenary work!

1.-10.  I want Immoen's and my souls back!!! ASAP!!!
11. I just escaped the Underdark: Menzoberrazan? No, thank you!
12. I need no money!

IMHO you should replace your mod (to Chapters 2/3 or ToB).

Actually, I had a very good IC reason for picking up Kimmuriel's offer - a competent mercenary troop like the Bregan whatsit would be useful when fighting Bodhi or rescuing Suldanessalar, not so?  I wish there had been a dialogue option for that when I talked to the boys at the end.  (I'm sure they would have laughed in my face, but even so.)

That said, I really liked this - it's a good length and a nice mix of flavour and challenge.  I liked talking to all the townies.  Apple pie!  Kalach-Cha!  Am not familiar with the books, but I liked dealing with Kimmuriel and Artemis - they had strong personalities, amoral and yet somehow likeable.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 07:46:05 AM »
I should remember that dialogue option about laughing in PC's face for the last conversation, yep. :) Though it's already voiced, but a great touch nevertheless.

Offline Thimblerig

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 06:20:21 PM »
If that Tweak that puts Artemis Entreri in Bodhi's lair was installed, Artemis might have to explain that he was, ahem, otherwise engaged but that he might be seeing you soon...

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 12:17:27 AM »
Myahaha! That'd be a great touch.

Offline Clubboth

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 11:55:58 AM »
Hi, ho, Silver!
I played Back to Brynnlaw and the Sellswords in a line, row and enjoyed both. Thanks to all who were concerned with the making.
 Here are some points you might think about: All trolls in the sewers are spawning with only one hit-point. In chapter six there is no need for this, is my opinion. I do not protect my characters well. Expecting the worst case, I have to reload to handle this situation with full HP-trolls.
 The duregars are talking about Moradin. I hope that somebody might point us to a God or Goddess from the Underdark who fits better. Have to search the wiki's for myself.
 Crossmodding with Lava's Ellistraee's Song would be very nice. Checking his variables might put some "I do know her" dialogs on the screen.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 12:51:12 AM »
Thank you for these points! I'll have to play or read Lava's mod sometime to check this out. :) Will think of addressing these in the next version.

Offline Ishad Nha

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 01:56:36 AM »
Laduguer is the deity of the Duergar, hence they will invoke his name.

Offline Isewein

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2022, 03:24:57 AM »
I love this mod for both its writing and the well-designed encounters, but I agree it could use more integration with the main quest considering its being situated in Chapter VI. It might be a good candidate for crossmod with DavidW's Rhynn Lanthorn quest in that regard - one of the shards could have found its way to Menzo. Alternatively, as Thimblerig suggested it could profit from simply a line or two for Charname to indicate that he seeks to win / hire the Bregan D'Aerthe as allies for the fight against Irenicus in Suldanesselar, to take a cue from the classic side-quest-excuse of later Bioware games.

It never made sense for me that the game wouldn't let you seek allies for that final confrontation, actually - after all, Irenicus has his very own Drow army as well. Nalia at least could be expected to contribute some men-at-arms.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 03:26:39 AM by Isewein »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: