Author Topic: ?  (Read 12288 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: ?
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 05:40:39 AM »
Oh, BG3 is not going to happen. If they try, they're going to be eaten alive with D&D licenses, TSR/Wizards/legacy, Forgotten Realms reloads, Spellplague and all that crap. Bioware didn't just refuse to make more Forgotten Realms games for nothing - they decided to create their own franchise so they wouldn't have to deal with fees and their writers wouldn't have to call the license holders every other hour.

Buried in red tape is my prediction. And hope. The child of Bhaal reached level 31 and can happily rest - among gods or among mortals. A hundred years passed, Minsc, Boo and Jaheira are dead, as are Nalia, Valygar, Anomen and many others. Thay rules(sadly, without Edwin), many mages lost their minds during Spellplague, and only Artemis Entreri is on the prowl somewhere.

Also, lyrics aside, do they have money for something DA/D3-worthy, latest graphics and all that stuff, not to mention music fees, voice actors, and writers like  Patrick Weekes and David Gaider? No way.

Offline MrFrost

• Throw Back Dungeon Master
  • Planewalker
  • All Your Base Belong To Us
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 06:55:18 AM »
I'd like to see it happen. Atari owns a number of those licenses already and they dont have to start during the current year (4th/5th edition). Their best bet would continue where they left off or shortly after. Wouldnt have to be starring the same character either. As we know there are many other siblings. An they dont quite make rpg's like the used too, Dragon Age was a let down. In no way could it stand toe to toe with Baldurs Gate. Besides I see many of the original dev team working on the enhanced edition and a well known writer and composer. They definitely are going all out so they are getting my support.

This here link is an interview with gamespy and their long term goals of a third game in the series. 
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/1220929p1.html
"I can kill with a single word. I can hurl a ball of fire into the midst of my enemies. I rule a squadron of skeletal warriors, who can destroy by touch alone. I can raise a wall of ice to protect those I serve. The invisible is discernible to my eyes. Ordinary magic spells crumble in my presence."

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 06:30:22 AM »
The point of ToB was to show there were no other siblings - just Imoen(optionally, if you didn't kill her) and Sarevok(optionally, if you brought him back) - and both gave up Bhaal's essence. And the canon is not clear on where the essence went, so.

Anyway, I have a smallest suspicion that whenever the EE comes out, fans who try the new content would be hugely disappointed. And the general opinion will be "no, these people better not develop BG3". Ironically, this will happen even if the new content is good - it's just the game itself is so good and so well-grounded in our minds that nothing can possibly seem an integral part of it. But we'll wait and see, I guess.

Offline Ishad Nha

• Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 09:43:18 PM »
The novelisation of ToB had all the essence being absorbed by the protagonist, Abdel Adrian, then dispersed/destroyed when he refuses godhood.
BG3 would need a protagonist, which could be a bit tough. Have an Avatar of the now-divine protagonist?

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »
making both real and joke lists of "writers I hope they enlisted."

what about writers from whom one hopes they'll stay way the hell away?  when was the last primo bgmodcomm schism...
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2012, 09:03:26 AM »
Baldur's Gate III would not involve the same protagonist, nor would it be anywhere near the city of Baldur's Gate (set in the Dalelands instead). So clearly, the only reason it would be called BG3 is to capitalise on the success of the first two games.

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 02:26:29 PM »
aye, perhaps one day there will be a decent extended Shadowdale-centered romp.  top of personal wishlist/pipe-dream-project is to adapt Under Illefarn.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 03:30:50 PM »
top of personal wishlist/pipe-dream-project is to adapt Under Illefarn.
Not really familiar with that one but it sounds a bit like some of what Classic Adventures has done... have you tried that? There's also an NWN mod that centres on Daggerford but I'm even less familiar with that (and anyway the engine isn't as good as IE).

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2012, 04:29:44 PM »
i have peeked at CA but not yet taken the time to dig.  NWN bored me rapidly (and i concur about the engine) but i do approve of the builder-friendly aspect.

Offline MrFrost

• Throw Back Dungeon Master
  • Planewalker
  • All Your Base Belong To Us
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 04:50:45 PM »
The point of ToB was to show there were no other siblings - just Imoen(optionally, if you didn't kill her) and Sarevok(optionally, if you brought him back) - and both gave up Bhaal's essence. And the canon is not clear on where the essence went, so.

Anyway, I have a smallest suspicion that whenever the EE comes out, fans who try the new content would be hugely disappointed. And the general opinion will be "no, these people better not develop BG3". Ironically, this will happen even if the new content is good - it's just the game itself is so good and so well-grounded in our minds that nothing can possibly seem an integral part of it. But we'll wait and see, I guess.

Gah I hope this is not the case. A true fan would find that their efforts to renew an old series is a noble effort indeed an the lengths they are going through to bring many of the original writers and developers back earns some points with me regardless. I checked out what they have added and I have to say I am impressed. Three new characters and a full length adventure is much more then I expected. I am really looking forward to this release, I got a feeling we as fans wont be let down.
"I can kill with a single word. I can hurl a ball of fire into the midst of my enemies. I rule a squadron of skeletal warriors, who can destroy by touch alone. I can raise a wall of ice to protect those I serve. The invisible is discernible to my eyes. Ordinary magic spells crumble in my presence."