Author Topic: Discounts tweak for despised rep (and more)  (Read 11221 times)

Offline opanihuya

• Planewalker
Discounts tweak for despised rep (and more)
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »
It's really frustrating for an evil character to donate cash every time you want to go shopping for pricy items.  Even more so playing as CE it doesn't make much sense. So i'm looking for suggestions about this matter.

The least i've come up with is lowering the markups for despised rep so it would look consistent with disliked(avarage) progressions and the donation table (reputati.2da) below:
reputation     1         2         3         4         5       6       7       8       9      10
cost  gp        500     400      300      200     200    200   100    100   100   100

Original discount table (repmodst.2da):
reputation     1         2         3         4         5       6       7       8       9       10   
markup(%)    1000    1000    200     150     140    130   120    120    110   100
The discount table for 1 and 2 rep markups looks crazy comparing with the rest. On practice a  full plate for a despised char costs 1234567890gp. After donating 900-1200gp evrythins back to norm. How come?

So here's mine. Not that outlaw looking but at least it's more practical:
reputation     1         2         3         4         5       6       7       8       9       10   
markup(%)    200     200      170     150     140    130   120    120    110   100

p.s. also another thing i'd like to propose is to change the reaction modifier from rep (rmodrep.2da)
from this:
reaction        -20      -7        -6        -5        -4       -3     -2      -1       0       0
to this:
reaction        -8        -7        -6        -5        -4       -3     -2      -1       0       0
So a (CE) char with 1 rep could get normal pay for quests  only with 18 charisma, and only with 24 - bonus pay; Instead of outright denying his awesome wits/looks. Not to mention that even with the G3 reaction tweak for joinable evil npcs a char with 25CHA and 1REP still can't get Viconia.

And maybe one more - progressing the charisma modifier for discounts table (chrmodst.2da):
charisma        1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25
discount(%)   0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  0  0   0   0   0   0  -5  -10  -15  -20  -25  -25  -25  -25  -25  -25
to this:
charisma        1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25
discount(%)   0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  0  0   0   0   0   0  -5  -10  -15  -20  -25  -30  -35  -40  -45  -50
Only at the cost of capping the total discount at 50% (considering chars with 20 rep have a stackable(?) discount of 70% already).
Though I don't know how to implement this.

So... what do you guys think? In terms of roleplay vs mechanics and stuff.

edit: Sorry, wrong subforum. Please report this to be moved to the tutu modding section.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:05:17 PM by opanihuya »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Discounts tweak for despised rep (and more)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 12:57:05 AM »
Hey, welcome to PPG!

I think that first of all, you need a good story reason for "low prices for low reputation". In Mass Effect, there's Renegade/Paragon meter, and having a Renegade meter means being able to make high Intimidation checks(hence, huge discounts). But in Baldur's Gate universe, I feel you're supposed to be punished for low reputation: guards attack you in Athkatla and Baldur's Gate, some quest-givers and NPCs react badly, and so on and so forth.

(Currently BG2 Tweaks allows discounts for evil chars, if I'm not mistaken - but that's an "ease-of-use" fix, not a story fix). I'm for story fixes, so... out of your suggestions, I think the best suggestion is using reaction modifier from charisma(so it's stronger for evil chars, and outshines bad rep), and optionally - kill the reaction modifier from reputation. Basically, add an optional "reputation does not change store prices any more, only charisma does" - just like in Mass Effect universe.

Offline opanihuya

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:53:11 AM »
Yo, thanks man.

Actually yeah I think I like your point better. Considering how traders react/talk to villians like there's nothing goin on, outright recycling rep's influence would be more... in tune. Strange that I haven't thought of it myself. Genius!

Only one detail left - looking at "charisma modifier for discounts" table above there's no negatives at low CHA. What do your storywise senses tell you? Any tingling?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 09:00:05 AM »
Yeah, I think that "high prices for low cha characters" equals "high prices for shy characters". Like the real life: I'm a shy girl, so I can't haggle, so I usually buy stuff at stock price. A charismatic person would've gotten a discount.

Technically, usually the question is solved by introducing an optional component, or several, so the player chooses which setup to get(reputation only, charisma only, high cha discounts but no low cha punishment, high cha discounts AND low cha punishment and so on). Best of luck with this stuff. If you're not very familiar with coding, by the way, check the tutorial section over there. Echon posted the links just recently in another topic:
http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,28155.msg329765.html#msg329765

Offline opanihuya

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 09:26:23 AM »
No luck or tutorials needed my man Kulyok. Overriding above tables with NI should suffice.

Though your input was really helpful, sorting my rp feelings out and stuff.  Thanks a lot.

See ya.

jester_ no login :-(

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 08:00:06 AM »
I would love for traders to have a certain rep themselves. Sure there are fences in the sewers iirc, but even honourable traders are no saints. so why should a trader not take the money from despised characters, if they themselves are not that picky when it comes to the ethical side of trading. Church services should be something entirely dfifferent.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 01:20:54 AM »
I think it's a great idea.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 02:42:29 PM »
IIRC, there is a tweak like this in Wounded Lion's Morrow Gate or maybe LuizMod as well. Another wouldn't hurt though, to make things more realistic. When it comes down to it, most merchants anywhere you go are pragmatic. They want to sell their stuff, and aren't terribly fussy who the buyer is. If you ask me, they wouldn't necessarily mark things up at all for evil/low CHA/disreputable characters. It is possible that some might try to mark things up for low-wisdom characters, a well-known and time-honoured phenomenon also known as "a sucker is born every minute," "a fool and his money are soon parted" and so on. Another more realistic check might be alignment. Lawful shopkeeps *might* be wary of selling to known evil/disreputable characters, but conversely, non-lawful merchants (e.g. fences) might be wary of selling to obvious law-abiding characters. In most cases, merchants wouldn't know just by seeing their prospective buyers what their reputations or alignments were. That seems rather silly. Presumably the PC (at some points in the game) has bounties out for him, but I don't know if he has big *WANTED* posters with his face posted at every shop in every town.

jester_not logged in

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:04:57 AM »
That sounds very good and very realistic.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: