Author Topic: Coran Quest Bug  (Read 5283 times)

AyceGuest

Coran Quest Bug
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:19:57 AM »
Have recently been playing (replaying) BG1 with unfinished business for the first time.  Most of the components i installed work fine (am in Cloakwood Area 4).  However, Coran's quest is giving me a fit.  Every time I kill the wyvern, the game crashes, worse yet, my computer locks up when I try to relaunch the game (have to restart just to be able to open BG again).

I read the readme of the lastest version which says something to the effect of the wyvern head for "Coran's" wyvern is special somehow.  I thought this component merly involved a simple dialog fix so that Coran would acknowledge when the deed was done.  I also thought a similar fix would be done for Yelslick, who also fails to realize the mines had been flooded and the quest done (also a minor dialog fix, or so I thought).

Anyway, the current version is crashing my game and locking up my comp.  It is simply BG1 without TotSC, only other mod installed is BG mini-quest pack.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Coran Quest Bug
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:10:30 AM »
To enable Coran to identify a wyvern as "the" one a new wyvern with a unique in-game script name was introduced and replaces an original one. I am at a loss here, though. Area modding is tricky, and I am not good at it.
Did you try to reinstall the mod, maybe it's only a one-time thing (I would appreciate if you could do that, actually, helping me debug)? And the other check: Is everything working fine if the mod is deinstalled?

Thank you very much for reporting! Maybe you found a BG-only thing. Not many people play original BG anymore nowadays (in comparison to Tutu and BGT), so reports are scarce.

//Ascension64: makes Coran's wyverns unique
ACTION_IF !("%tutuorbgt%" STRING_EQUAL "BGT") THEN BEGIN //BG and Tutu
  COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%WYVERN.CRE~ ~override/X#CORWYV.CRE~
    WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~X#CoranWyvern~ #32 //script name

COPY_EXISTING ~%CloakwoodWyverns_WyvernCave%.ARE~ ~override~
    READ_LONG 0x54 actorsOff
    READ_SHORT 0x58 actorsNum
    FOR (i = 0; i < %actorsNum%; i += 1) BEGIN
      READ_ASCII (%actorsOff% + %i% * 0x110 + 0x80) actorResref
      PATCH_IF !("%actorResref%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "%tutu_var%WYVERN") BEGIN
        WRITE_ASCII (%actorsOff% + %i% * 0x110 + 0x80) X#CORWYV (8)
      END
    END
  BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 06:16:28 PM »
Checked for vanilla BG with TotSC: no problems.
Sorry to say, but BG without TotSC compatibility is not maintained: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,27583.0.html

Offline Ayce

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
Hi, finally found my password and login name again, have been away for awhile and needed to get reacquanited with forum posting, ect., anyway...................

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling and found the same result, oddly enough, when I tried to reinstall the mods, I encountered some strange behavior, i.e., already detecting installed mods, handling multiple mods at one time, etc.  It has long been my suspicion that uninstalling unistalling the game does not purge all mod elements as I alwasy seem to have problems like this, even in BG2......................

Anyway, the crash still occured most times (didn't once or twice for unknown reasons), even when I just control-y the wyverns.  I later found killing the wyverns in the cloakwood wandering encounter area also crashed the game.  I finally succeeded in getting a wyvern head by having Coran "not installed" then using control-y and quickly saving the game before it crashed again.

Still having these inconsistent problems, I next installed BG in a new directory, presumably will leave behind problems described above with residual wiedu installation.

Later on, I succeeded in resting in the wyvern cave and killing more wyverns and getting their heads, but prior to that, the game crashed again in the wandering area when I killed a wyvern.  possible that save game files still had residual elements of mod in them?  I don't know enough to say one way or the other,  but considering all the measure I took to rid myself of that component, and still had intermittent problems with it, I don't know what else to say...............

In any event, I have moved on without the mod and tolerate the bug with Coran still saying "can't hang around, have some wyverns to kill" as it is....................

Offline Ayce

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »
BTW, could you help me with understanding how to modify an area script so as to add a new actor into the area (starting from the beginning) as in what file to use, how to open it, how to modify it?

Am trying to insert more merchants and inns in the game, making a little more convenient to unload excess gear and such, I posted about this years ago and response was over my head, I now understand how to create the .cre, .sto and .d files for it, but I still don't understand how to modify area scripts for this purpose.............

reference to old thread................

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,23318.0/topicseen.html (Store Mods)

thanx for your time, thinks I will have to break down and install TotSC

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 10:12:09 AM »
Sorry about the TotSC necessity - although in your case it does sound as if you would have problems with the original wyvern.cre. It sounds as if it is corrupted. This should be solved for a new install, though, unless the CD is corrupted?

About uninstalling mods: All changed files usually go into the override folder of your BG folder. Theoretically, if it is a mod with WeiDU installer and you leave the backup folder (inside the mod folder) untouched, the mod can be uninstalled completely. WeiDU backs up the files it alters before changing them. For the first mod, the backed-up files are the original game files. For later mods, the backedup files can be modded ones depending on what files the mod(s) changed. That is why upon uninstalling a mod that was installed before other mods, WeiDU uninstalls all mods after that mod before uninstalling that mod - otherwise, the original game state couldn't be restored.

I linked a tutorial in your mod thread. Good luck!

Offline Ayce

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 12:01:26 AM »
ok thanx  :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: