Author Topic: Issues with Kagain's caravan quest and Edwin's dialogue  (Read 8327 times)

irvoke

Hi everyone!

I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place, but I didn't find any bug report threads for BG1 UB v11. Well anyways, straight into the business then; I found an earlier thread about problems with Kagain's caravan quest but since those are pretty old and this v11 release is moderately recent, I thought I'd bring it up in case those threads are obsolete. I took Kagain into my party and went to the Caravan (the northern one with the one small corpse on it's right side) and I had to wait for an abruptly long time before Kagain realized the corpse / caravan and started the the dialogue where he says something about the corpse and that his reputation is mud and that he wants to join my group since I'm already going after the bandits (which I wasn't doing at that time btw, since I wasn't at that part of the game yet). Is this supposed to happen or is there some kind of bug going on in there? My other issue is with Edwin's dialogue when he's in my party and my reputation is getting a bit too high for his liking. To my understanding, he is supposed to leave my group if my reputation rises too high. He says (his voice, that is) that our deal is void and that he leaves the party, but the thing is, he doesn't. Also, the text in the message/dialogue box shows other that what he is saying. His voice says that he leaves the party but the text says that he will soon leave the party if I keep this up (wrong dialogue text shown with correct dialogue sound file, or perhaps the other way around?). Does UB do something with the dialogue files for recruitable NPCs or is this perhaps a bug in the original game that isn't adressed by the official patch or UB, or perhaps even unfixable? I haven't plaid with Edwin in my party before so I don't really know for sure if this problem would have existed with my first Playthrough which was vanilla BG straight from the DVD, without any mods or even official patches. I tried googling both of my problems but didn't find any info on either of those, save for some people mentioning on this forum that they had the same problem with Kagain's caravan quest where he waited for a long time before noticing the caravan / corpse, but like I said, those were older threads. Thanks a bunch in advance!

I had the following installed, in this specific order, when I encountered these problems:
1. Baldur's Gate (4 in 1 boxset version)
2. Tales of the Sword Coast expansion (also from the same 4 in 1 boxset)
3. Latest official BioWare BG+TOTSC patch for the international version (I have the multi-language version of the game)
4. Gibberlings Three widescreen mod (resolution set to 800 x 600, in case that matters)
5. Unfinished Business v11 (all components installed)

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
Re: Issues with Kagain's caravan quest and Edwin's dialogue
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 04:08:49 AM »
I dunno, it sounds vaguely like a bug in the unmodded, patched game. You might try Baldurdash/Dudleyfix or the BG1 Fixpack. Those first two are non-WeiDU, so you can't uninstall them, but they have more fixes than the latter.

balbs

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »
My bro having this issue with Edwin and Kagain, they say their leaving speechs and just simple doesn´t leave, he is using EasyTutu with correct instalation orders, and unfinished business also, his reputation is 19

Bg 3 cd edition (Totsc), easytutu, UB only

hmm any?

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 06:48:06 AM »
To the first poster (albeit a little late): Kagain notices and talks about the dead son either if a timer run, or if he is rediculously near the dead body (Range < 7). I am not sure what the timer is for, but one could think about making the range in shich Kagain reacts to the body a bit wider.

As to Edwin's (and Kagain's) leaving dialogue: For Edwin's original BG joined dialogue file EDWINJ.dlg I don't see any state where he would complain and threat to leave soon, so this must be introduced by a mod, but I can't find anything of the likes in UB.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 07:59:57 AM »
As to Edwin's (and Kagain's) leaving dialogue: For Edwin's original BG joined dialogue file EDWINJ.dlg I don't see any state where he would complain and threat to leave soon, so this must be introduced by a mod, but I can't find anything of the likes in UB.
It is probably hardcoded to fire his UNHAPPY soundclip based on his alignment matched against happy.2da. There is a component of BG2 Tweaks that stops this altogether and another one that lets them complain but never leave. It sounds like possibly the latter was installed, though I saw someone else report recently the NPCs' leaving didn't seem to be working in Tutu.

balbs

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 10:37:12 AM »
As i said i had this "issue"...but when i got 20 of reputation kagain left "That's it this dwarf is leaving"...does he ever come back? ( i searched him in beregost and nothing, i thought it was for my reputation..if i kill someone and lose reputation when i dismiss him he stays there waiting to be re-invited)

but ok, what does UB really do for kagain quest? Only the speech of kagain when he sees the child's body?

Quest: Kagain caravan
Done Quest : Entar's Son

after found the body, the quests stills there, and this appeared...is it ends when meeting silvershield?

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
As i said i had this "issue"...but when i got 20 of reputation kagain left "That's it this dwarf is leaving"...does he ever come back?
I don't think NPCs come back if they leave due to reputation. That's the way the unmodded game works. If you want to change that, install one of the tweaks I mentioned.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: