Author Topic: Acm2wav Converter and the newer versions 1.33b19 & 1.33b20 of Near Infinity  (Read 16963 times)

Offline Waurdon

• Planewalker
This perhaps hasn't much to do with the other topics, but does the newest version of Acm2wav converter work together with Near Infinity and the latest Java Update?

I have run into problems with that in the past using a new java with the old(1.32) NI. That time I had to download the older Java for it to run correctly.
The reason why I ask is that I have no time to test this myself for some time, perhaps a new converter has resurfaced, but I haven't found any clue of that yet on the web.

Perhaps the 1.33b19 is more stable(if it is the right word) with any new Java, the old Java is no longer available, at least that particular version linked at the NI webpage.

This is a small issue, but it is quite usable when extracting wav files from these games and for overview of the list.

Thanks for any help in this particular issue. Thanks also to FredSRichardson and the others for making an update available to NI.

Edit: - If some of you reached this post from a search-engine check this Semi-Official Download Site where you will find Near Infinity v1.33b20 and the Acm2wav Converter v1.32  (10-07-01)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:44:48 AM by Waurdon »

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
    • Classic Adventures Homepage
Re: Acm to Wav Converter and the later(v1.33b19) version of NI
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 07:30:36 PM »
This perhaps hasn't much to do with the other topics, but does the newest version of Acm2wav converter work together with Near Infinity and the latest Java Update?

I have run into problems with that in the past using a new java with the old(1.32) NI. That time I had to download the older Java for it to run correctly.
The reason why I ask is that I have no time to test this myself for some time, perhaps a new converter has resurfaced, but I haven't found any clue of that yet on the web.

Perhaps the 1.33b19 is more stable(if it is the right word) with any new Java, the old Java is no longer available, at least that particular version linked at the NI webpage.

This is a small issue, but it is quite usable when extracting wav files from these games and for overview of the list.

Thanks for any help in this particular issue. Thanks also to FredSRichardson and the others for making an update available to NI.

I am using the newest NearInfinity (v1.33b20 as of 2010-01-12) on the newest public Java (Java 6 Update 17) with the newest version of acm2wav (v1.32) and everything works together.  This is the combination I recommend.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"
-- <CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

Offline Waurdon

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 04:40:44 AM »
Thanks for the fast reply!

I was not sure about v1.33b20 when I read about it at the download page, but I will test this combination when I found some time left.

Acm2wav converter: I have actually two versions but neither of them is named v1.32, I assume it's the one from Sorcerer's place by Abel you mean?

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »
Acm2wav converter: I have actually two versions but neither of them is named v1.32, I assume it's the one from Sorcerer's place by Abel you mean?
I find that the utilities at Sorcerer's place tend to be outdated.  The v1.32 can be found here and here.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

Offline Waurdon

• Planewalker
Re: Acm to Wav Converter(v1.32) and the (v1.33b20) version of NI (links)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 11:16:17 AM »
The v1.32 can be found here and here.

Thanks for the links, however the first I had to search their site for Acm2wav version 1.32 because their download link was outdated: here is the correct link
(Scroll down the page to find the downloads)

I replace the link to the 2nd download of acm2wav with this to make it easier for others to find it on the page.(v1.32)

Since you or someone else compiled Near Infinity beta 20 I give the link to the post at Spellhold Studios since there seem to be no official download of this yet.
(This link is the same as the one found further down called this post)

(Edit: The direct download was replaced with the link to the message, choose the 2nd download link of Near Infinity at the SHS forum to get the latest version.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 02:52:37 PM by Waurdon »

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 01:06:54 PM »
Thanks for the links, however the first I had to search their site for Acm2wav version 1.32 because their download link was outdated: here is the correct link
Sorry, it wasn't broken last time I downloaded it from there.

The second was down quite a bit on the site here is a direct link.
I have been told that posting direct-download links are a bad practice, so I tend to avoid it.  Otherwise, I would have just given you one.

Since you or someone else compiled Near Infinity beta 20 I link it from Spellhold Studios since there seem to be no official download of this yet.
That is a slightly older version of the b20.  If you are interested I can post the latest compile in that same post.  There really should be somewhere to put the latest compiled version so it can be downloaded by those who don't want to / can't compile it themselves.  I am pretty good about compiling the latest commits on GitHub as soon as they are made, and I'd be willing to compile and upload them somewhere (regardless of who actually makes the merge/push/update/etc.).  Would anyone be opposed to me doing that?  Probably the most convenient place for me to put it would be in the IE Modding Tools section at SHS, but I'm not really particular.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:20:47 PM by Sam. »

Offline Waurdon

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 03:13:08 PM »
Please do post a new compiled version. I don't use to code and compile that much myself, even if I will eventually study the subject of programming some time this year.(can't promise that I find time to help the modding community though, I hope there's still many out there who support the IE games with their knowledge of coding).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:18:40 AM by Waurdon »

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 03:57:15 PM »
Please do post a new compiled version. I don't use to code and compile that much myself, even if I will eventually study the subject of programming some time this year.(can't promise that I find time to help the modding community though, I hope there's still many out there who support the IE games with their knowledge of coding).
You can find it in this post.

Offline Waurdon

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »

Thanks for the links and for the help.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:39:35 AM by Waurdon »

Offline Waurdon

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 03:24:51 AM »
There really should be somewhere to put the latest compiled version so it can be downloaded by those who don't want to / can't compile it themselves.  I am pretty good about compiling the latest commits on GitHub as soon as they are made, and I'd be willing to compile and upload them somewhere (regardless of who actually makes the merge/push/update/etc.).  Would anyone be opposed to me doing that?  Probably the most convenient place for me to put it would be in the IE Modding Tools section at SHS, but I'm not really particular.

Perhaps Sourceforge would be an alternative. If you could get in touch with FredSRichardson an alternative download link could be uploaded at the same site as his for the newest compiled version, with permission from the authors of course.

Or maybe at this Near Infinity forum or the Pocketplane main site.

Offline Sam.

• The moose man
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 10:33:53 PM »
Or maybe at this Near Infinity forum on the Pocketplane main site.
This forum doesn't let you add attachments to posts, so it's kind of out.  I also don't think they would warrant a full mod-like upload/download deal as the updates to the code could be very minor (only a word or two like changing "gold" to "cold iron").  As for SourceForge, nothing on there has been touched since 2006, and again it is a little more complicated than attaching another file to a post at SHS.  If it's agreed that SF is where they should be put, however, I can request to join his project.

Offline Waurdon

• Planewalker
Re: Acm to Wav Converter and the newer version 1.33b19 of Near Infinity
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 07:15:21 AM »
No, I can understand why a forum isn't the best place to add that Jar file or any larger file for that matter. I thought rather of asking the staff here if the Pocketplane download site could host this(1.33b20) file of Near Infinity since it seem to be stable enough.

The old(1.32) version which most ordinary users seem know about to download I have had some problems with combining the latest Java. Also the acm2wav doesn't work together with the old NI and the new Java.

I don't think either it's the best thing to upload a newer NI with only some smaller insignificant updates, but the one from 12th of January should definitly be there as long as there isn't some major bugs and crashes discovered, although one should clearly state that this is a Beta release and that the latest most secure and tested version would be FredSRichardson's at Sourceforge(v.133b19) or to be even more secure - v.1.32.

Also, Sourceforge or maybe a different upload site would be an option, but I don't think it's necessary for you have to take it all on yourself to compile and upload a new Jar file every time an update emerge; there should be quite a few out there who would like to help if only there was some website to host this.

Just some thoughts from me.

vasanth

:)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: