Author Topic: Zathali: Biography and stats.  (Read 22955 times)

Offline Lorph Halys

• Planewalker
Zathali: Biography and stats.
« on: April 14, 2009, 02:50:48 PM »
Name: Zathali
Race: Human?
Class: Sorcerer
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Strength: 8
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 16
Intelligence: 18
Wisdom: 16
Charisma: 16

Background:The being now known as Zathali was once a mere human. He was born within a cult of Loviatar, the goddess of pain, to a family whose bloodline carried a measure of sorcerous talent; particularly for the weaving of insidious, magical curses, a trait that he would inherit.

Knowing no other company than the depraved worshippers of the Willing Whip throughout his childhood and adolescence, he could do little other than follow in their footsteps. He would come to deeply relish the act of spreading misery and torment. He also worked steadfastly on the perfection of his hexcraft, thoroughly studying the intricacies of dark magic.

Shortly after he reached adulthood, the Loviatans were told of a fiendish, extraplanar entity that possessed the capability to sustain, and indeed empower itself by feeding upon the suffering of mortal beings. Wary that such a creature may eventually draw away her followers and begin to challenge her position, the goddess commanded her followers to subjugate or destroy it while it was still weak, so that it could not become a threat.

Her disciples obeyed, tracing the creature back to its lair and striking at it with fiery zeal. Though the battle was by no means easy, the Loviatans had the advantage. Their tremendous tolerance for (and in some cases, enjoyment of) pain made it all but impossible for the creature to draw strength from their suffering as it fought, and it eventually succumbed.

Refusing to let itself be killed or enslaved, the fiend shed its corporeal form and, in a final, desperate act, attempted to possess one of the Loviatans.

Nobody can say for sure why the creature chose the host it did. Perhaps it was lured by the spark of sinister power hidden deep within its victim's blood. Perhaps it knew that its own dark presence would resonate with and amplify the human's innate abilities; all the better to launch a counterattack. Perhaps it was pure luck. Whatever the case, it had made the right decision. Within moments, the battered and bloodied priests were slaughtered, overwhelmed by a sudden surge of raw power and fury brought down upon them by one of their own.

Even after the bloodshed had ended, however, the fiend was forced to remain in its sorcerous host, crippled and helpless as it would have been without a body. Though it was initially hostile and fought for dominance, the human's mind had been made corrupt and sadistic from his twisted upbringing, and the entity quickly realised just how similar its host’s thoughts were to its own.

It wasn't long before they formed a symbiotic relationship. Riding within the human's body, the fiend was able to walk freely upon the material plane, gleefully gorging itself on the exquisite torment that the human could wreak with his foul curses and brilliant, scheming mind. In return, the human was free to indulge in all the unholy might that the fiend's presence granted him. Soon, the human had ridden himself of the shackles of his service to Loviatar, deciding that he no longer needed her or any of the gods.

The two of them operated in such perfect harmony that, over time, the border between their minds began to blur. Slowly but surely, they forgot that they were two separate and distinct beings. Slowly but surely, they came to believe that they were one. As their senses of individuality dwindled, this took on an awful semblance of truth.

Their souls and minds merged completely, and in this blasphemous union, Zathali was born, no longer remembering or caring to remember either his human or demonic name.

For reasons unknown, Zathali eventually made his way to Amn. There, he curried favour with the Shadow Thieves and enlisted their protection. He would establish a sort of mercenary hexing service, inflicting curses upon the enemies of his clients for a suitable fee. In exchange for a cut of his profits, the guild allowed him to run this "business" from beneath their cloak of darkness, safe from the harassment of the city guard and the Cowled Wizards.

It is here, in Athkatla, that Zathali will meet a certain Bhaalspawn.

Personality: You are fortunate in that Zathali at least seems to consider you an equal. Others are not so lucky.

Completely assured of his own superiority due to both his innate power and extraplanar nature, Zathali views almost every mortal being he encounters as little more than a tool to exploit for his own ends. His razor-sharp mind, talent for deceit and intimidation and utter indifference to the well-being of others makes him a master of manipulation; digging through layers upon layers of carefully spun prevarications to discern the truth and the motives behind his words is no small task.

For all his duplicity, however, Zathali strongly favours order over chaos, as the former affords him a much greater degree of control. As long as the world remains stable and predictable, those who deserve to be on top (such as himself, naturally) will stay there; however, all it can take is a little anarchy to see a superior being thrown from his perch by his lessers.

He claims that it is for this reason that he offers you his aid. Ensuring that one Bhaalspawn rises to total dominance is, he believes, the best way to bring the whole troublesome saga to a close and stop the world's descent into bloody madness, ensuring his own preservation. You can only hope that this is the whole truth of the matter.

More information is on its way. I've got a lot to pull together here, so bear with me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 01:04:14 PM by Lorph Halys »

Offline Mike1072

• Planewalker
Re: Zathali: Biography and stats.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:04:54 PM »
Well, that's certainly one of the more exciting NPC backgrounds I've read.  It's piqued my interest, and I think I'll watch this mod's development with quiet optimism.

Offline Illana

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »
Nice, This NPC sounds like alot of fun! I wonder if it will be necessary to gaurd our backs with him around lol - hmm, can you romance him? (as an evil PC)

Will definitely need to keep an eye on this mod :)

Offline Leomar

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 06:07:58 PM »
hmm, can you romance him? (as an evil PC)
See the FAQ section.  ;)

Greetings Leomar

Greenpakto

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:04:23 AM »
I certainly hope this character will be finished.. Very nice bio!
Keep up the good work

Offline tmay238

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 11:48:59 PM »
Sounds VERY cool. I might actually try to make it through with an evil party for this one :).

Offline Neermaluin

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 08:49:46 AM »
i think the portrait is great, so dont take me wrong  ;D
http://deltica.deviantart.com/art/Assassin-s-creed-Altair-79517103

i found this and it looks quite similar. its just a suggestion.
maybe it could be alternate portrait

i assure u im not trying to promote it, i just thought it'd look ok too

Offline Blekfis

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 04:12:24 PM »
Wow. It isn’t often you come along a mod that looks this promising. Keep up the good work!

Offline ingrown

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 04:58:38 AM »
Sounds an enticing idea I hope this is still in production, not wishing to harry you along, merely to register some interest and support (should you need either)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: