Author Topic: Bugs and typos for v5  (Read 10061 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Bugs and typos for v5
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:58:44 AM »
Please, report them here.

For the next version: increase a spawning variable for Qyr(just like Daton's) in his first dialogue. Check if any others work this way(it's possible that NumTimesTalkedTo influences it? No, probably not).

Tha J Dogg

Re: Bugs and typos for v5
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 06:34:53 AM »
Continued from the v3 thread:
I think it makes sense: you get the leg talk only after she told you about her broken knee, and she mentions nine tasks before giving you the eighth, therefore preparing you for the end of the association. So it's all right.

I never heard anything about a broken knee.  In the immediately preceding dialog, we had dinner and danced (her knee seemed fine) and then she shooed me away because she didn't want to get close to me (ain't that the story of my life...  :'( ). 

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 07:04:14 AM »
Awww. :) You may recover in Chapter 6, though, after Bodhi.

Let me see...

Ah, yes. See, banter "How is your leg?" is Banter Number Nine, and it happens(naturally) after Banters Number Eight, Seven, Six, Five, et cetera. And second branch of Banter Number Five(one you can't escape) says:

"I kill people. For a long time, I have been one of the best. I still am."
"But during the last... chase, I fractured my kneecap. A priest mended it easily enough, but I needed a few tendays' rest. And thus, my assignment here. Easy enough?"

...Hence, her leg. I'm sorry if the question wasn't subtle/didn't leave the player a choice, it's just when it's a player-initiated romance(of sorts), it's harder than when NPC initiates conversations.

Tha J Dogg

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 05:20:46 PM »
Ah ok, I get it now.  I suppose too much (real) time had elapsed between banters five and nine for me (at least a month), and I completely forgot about that.  That or I wasn't really paying attention to what she said in the first place...   :D

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 12:46:46 AM »
Well, yeah, listening to her ramblings is kind of important to get a girl's attention. :)

Offline GeN1e

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 04:50:30 PM »
ar0800.baf has these ~AreaCheck("AR0800") AreaType(OUTDOOR)~. A boy came out of nowhere right inside the main Bodhi's chamber. What he's been doing down there, as well as how he managed to keep all his blood to himself, is beyond me, but you may want to substitute those two lines with ~InMyArea(Player1)~.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 12:21:58 AM »
What, in v5, too? Oh damn.

I'll try the "InMyArea" thingy, thank you. This boy is just a nightmare! :)

Offline Cal Jones

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 01:32:58 AM »
Yup, me also. Sorry!

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 02:48:07 AM »
Overall, quite kickass. I especially like the self-referential bits that nicely bend (but not break) the fourth wall. ("Do not disturb my duties, heh heh.") I haven't played all the way through (I stopped after #7, so I could uninstall & get back to my own modding), but I took a quick look at the rest with Shadowkeeper. All that said, I do have four (maybe five) quibbles:

1. From the README:
The player's companions may complain. However, only Mazzy and Keldorn
will actually leave the party or attack the player, and only during
missions one, three, four and ten(Lord Melyin, Amara, Inspector Daton,
the final mission), and only if they are close enough to the player. This
means that they will not react, if they are inside a building/far enough from
the player.
I had Keldorn, and in my experience, this meant, "If he is inside a building/far enough away, he will not go hostile & leave the party, but you will also incur no Reputation loss, your Journal will not be updated, and strangest of all, the assassination target (whose life you have just declared is forfeit) will not turn hostile to you, or indeed react at all."
Speaking of which, since we're assuming that you're getting away with these murders without anyone finding out who you are, why is there a Reputation hit in the first place?

2. Delays between missions: Since it's possible to run through the missions at one sitting, one right after the other, it's like Lynn has a shopping list of all 10 assassinations before she even meets CHARNAME. That she suggests the party take a break every now & then is good, but I just think it'd be more realistic if we had to go do something else for a little while, because Lynn hasn't been briefed on the next target yet. Even a delay of an hour or two would be good to remind us of the other aspects of the game . . . but some people might want to run rapid-fire through the missions, so I guess it would be politic of you to ignore this request.

3. Holy crap! Does Qyr know he has an Archmage and a Minor Avatar of Tempus at his beck & call? Since "Mercenary" is a Level 21 Mage with 4 Level 9 spellslots, he could almost give Irenicus a run for his money, and let's not forget his companion "Mercenary," a Level 14 Fighter who just happens to have 25 STR and 21 DEX (and, for some reason, a healthy selection of Cleric spells)! And what's with their pathetic equipment? A Normal Quarterstaff, and a Normal Bastard Sword, Helmet, Shield, & Plate? I'm all for creating a balanced level of challenge, but let's be realistic here.

4. Speaking of items, it's my belief that Assassinations offers both too much and not enough. There were already at least 3 copies of the Varscona longsword, either in the default game or in mod (components) older/more respectable than Assassinations: On Ribald Barterman, on the Ruhk Transmuter in the Windspear Hills, and on Revanek in the Tactics Improved Twisted Rune (and I think in the Additional Equipment part of Rogue Rebalancing, as well). So if you wanted to give Inspector Daton a unique weapon, Varscona was the wrong choice. Why didn't you simply design a few custom items? I started these missions hoping to pick up a couple of interesting little tidbits, perhaps even one whose enchantments could be quite useful without being overpowered, and Lynn's mention that "as for trinkets, corpses should provide" did nothing to disabuse me of this notion. And then I discover that the one and only good item found on a corpse is all the way at the end of Mission 10 (and worn by practically the weakest enemy, ironically enough). The Amulet of Harmony is good (in fact, it's a little too good, IMO), I just think it's a little awkward to have to go all the way through all 10 missions before you find anything that's actually worth using.

5. This may or may not be Assassinations' fault: While looking for Inspector Daton, I entered the Docks Barracks, and the two guards nearest the entrance greeted me with the first line of their dialogue, the one about the elderly halfling lady trying to resist a purse-snatching. They both greeted me with the same line. Over and over. Every second. I was able to get the guy beyond them to tell me where Daton was, but it sure was awkward.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 06:03:58 AM »
Thank you for a long review. If I still remember how to mod by the time I finish my novel, I'll be sure to make some changes for the next version. And always good to hear from a great editor(remember who's been editing my texts? :) ).

I'm not sure about purse-snatching; it may be from another mod? But I'll take a look.

Offline GeN1e

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 10:23:40 AM »
Since "Mercenary" is a Level 21 Mage with 4 Level 9 spellslots
Level 21, erh? Call yourself lucky, Six, when I got him he was 28. SCS2, I guess.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 12:58:21 PM »
The purse-snatching line is from their original BioWare dialogue; it's their "initiate ranged conversation with 1 line, every second" scripted behavior that's bugged. I have a few other mods installed, but nothing that should touch those 2 guys.

Chandarath

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 03:52:26 PM »
I think I broke your quest.

I was quite enjoying the killing, it's a very well done mod, but I encountered this problem.

On Mission 10, after killing all the funeral attendees, I gained a level with Edwin. I gave him his brand new level 9 spell and rested for 8 hours in the graveyard. Then I tried to leave but a guard stopped me. He said something, but it was already too late, because I had clicked to leave the area. This seemed odd because it usually autopauses on dialogue.

I appeared in the Bridge district with no menus or bars or anything, and hitting "h" or pausing didn't bring them back. So I restarted the game and loaded my autosave before leaving the graveyard, and it says the guard has nothing to say to me, and nothing happens. Also, my menus and bars were gone again but came back after hitting "h"

I'm not nearly as familiar with this stuff as you guys, and it may just be something I screwed up, but I just wanted to let you guys know.

Is there anything I can do?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 12:43:29 AM »
Hello,

I think everything will be all right, if you restore a save in the graveyard. Not the autosave, but the save before the guard talked to you.

OR, if you don't have this save, do this:
1) Restore your autosave(before leaving the graveyard).
2) Pause the game.
3) Activate the console(you know how to work with console, right? If not, read this topic) and type in
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("O#CrLynnFinalQuest","GLOBAL",7)
4) Unpause the game and click on the guard.

Chandarath

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 08:02:52 PM »
Sorry for the delay.

It works fine now, thank you very much, I enjoyed your mod