Author Topic: stuck in area 0400 (farm N of Baldur's Gate)  (Read 12791 times)

Offline guided

• Planewalker
stuck in area 0400 (farm N of Baldur's Gate)
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:29:20 PM »
Hello. I'm new to this forum and a bit stuck. I've installed BG1/TOTSC, a number of bug fixes from Baldurdash and Dudleyfix, plus the unfinished business mod (but no TuTu). I now find that I can't leave area 0400 to get to Ulgoth's beard. I played the game (minus all the additions) a little while ago and all was fine. Can anyone tell me how to fix it? Many thanks...

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
    • Infinity Engine Modding
Re: stuck in area 0400 (farm N of Baldur's Gate)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:20:55 PM »
Hello. I'm new to this forum and a bit stuck. I've installed BG1/TOTSC, a number of bug fixes from Baldurdash and Dudleyfix, plus the unfinished business mod (but no TuTu). I now find that I can't leave area 0400 to get to Ulgoth's beard. I played the game (minus all the additions) a little while ago and all was fine. Can anyone tell me how to fix it? Many thanks...
I'm not sure how to fix it. I do know that one of the Dudleyfixes actually breaks the ability to enter Ulgoth's beard. I believe it is the one where he 'fixes' the ability to enter ar0400 from the area just south and appear on the southern end of the map rather than the western end. He did this because you can enter ar0400 prior to chapter 5 when the bridge has been opened. He felt that it broke game play/realism by appearing on the western side.

I do know how you COULD undo it.

1) Uninstall ALL weidu mods in reverse order (see weidu.log for exact order - make a copy you'll need it)
2) Look here http://www.forgottenwars.com/dudleyfix/bg1_areas.htm for the Farmlands section
3) Remove all listed files from your override and replace with versions, if any, from your backup (you should have backed up your original override before doing non-weidu mods).
4) Re-install ALL weidu mods in original order (see the copy of the weidu.log you made earlier)

Do note: Dudley's site says that he has fixed this issue, so perhaps the version you have is older?

However, the above won't get you out of that area because your save with you in that area already has the changes stored. It would correct a new game or perhaps a save game prior to entering the areas dudley modified as listed in step 2.

Beyond this, I've no clue...
My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altherin.webs.com

Offline guided

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 08:17:23 AM »
After spending all morning attempting to fix it, I've decided to start BG2 without any bug fixes or mods. Until it all goes wrong, that is... (sigh)

Offline Jarno Mikkola

• The Imp.
  • Planewalker
    • website jocuri
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 10:34:50 AM »
After spending all morning attempting to fix it, I've decided to start BG2 without any bug fixes or mods. Until it all goes wrong, that is... (sigh)
Why does it all go wrong?

PS, you can open the WeiDU.log with a text editor(wordpad, notepad or etc.), it's in the game directory.

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 05:51:26 PM »
BG2? I thought you were using BG1/ToTSC. There are no farmlands east of Baldur's Gate in BG2 unless you're using BGT or Tutu/EasyTutu in which case you'd be better asking in those forums....
My working mods:

Offline guided

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 03:22:21 AM »
I was on BG1. Sorry if I've confused you! I have just started BG2 with my BG1 character and nothing has gone wrong...yet.

I uninstalled all the BG1/totsc files, planning to do a clean install, but now the computer won't allow me to re-install it. It's giving me the option to uninstall, but won't actually allow me to do this. I have given up on BG1 (for now).

Offline Jarno Mikkola

• The Imp.
  • Planewalker
    • website jocuri
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 01:20:29 PM »
I uninstalled all the BG1/totsc files, planning to do a clean install, but now the computer won't allow me to re-install it. It's giving me the option to uninstall, but won't actually allow me to do this. I have given up on BG1 (for now).
So you actually deleted the files- not uninstalled the game... Now to reinstall the game, you actually need to modify your windows register files, to remove the Baldur's Gate Tales of the Sword Coast register entry, so the game can be reinstalled... sorry don't remember how it was done... But we need to know which operation system you have(Windows XP? Vista? ...) Or you could download one of these free register checkers, but I have no good one to recommend, as they might contain viruses.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 01:23:51 PM by Jarno Mikkola »

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 04:59:50 PM »
I got this through CNET http://www.revouninstaller.com/. It had no viruses when I downloaded it and it's really good at removing left over stuff and at removing programs where the uninstaller has failed. It runs on WinXP and up. I'm not sure about other platforms. Perhaps, it could help, but that is your choice....
My working mods:

Offline guided

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 03:18:03 AM »
Many thanks!

Offline guided

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 03:27:59 AM »
I should have said I'm using my girlfriend's pc which is running XP. I'm used to my 8 year old apple mac, which is still serving me well, mainly for recording music. I've played all the BG series on the mac in the past. They seemed relatively bug free. I was given the Atari 4 in 1 box set for Christmas last year (I believe it only cost £10!) and decided to play it again. Ahhh, nostalgia!
Many thanks once again!

Offline guided

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 05:04:06 AM »
OK, I've re-installed everything including the UK5512 patch, the Baldurdash fix pack 1.1 and TOSC game text update.

Looking at the Dudleyfix area files, I can see where the problem lies. On the original area 0400.sr file, I can see a pale blue line in the NE and SW corners, obviously showing a link to the next area. On the Dudley area 0400.sr file, the pale blue line is missing from the NE corner. Should I go ahead and install the fix pack, minus the ARE, WED and SR filesfor area 0400?

Now I realise that my problem was not with unfinished business at all!

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 05:30:45 PM »
OK, I've re-installed everything including the UK5512 patch, the Baldurdash fix pack 1.1 and TOSC game text update.

Looking at the Dudleyfix area files, I can see where the problem lies. On the original area 0400.sr file, I can see a pale blue line in the NE and SW corners, obviously showing a link to the next area. On the Dudley area 0400.sr file, the pale blue line is missing from the NE corner. Should I go ahead and install the fix pack, minus the ARE, WED and SR filesfor area 0400?

Now I realise that my problem was not with unfinished business at all!
My recommendation would be to skip that particular set of files. I don't have totsc so it wouldn't be an issue for me either way, but I would skip that 'component' of dudley just to be safe.
You know that it doesn't work when installed, so if you don't install that part and you still can't proceed then we know that the problem is caused by something else.
My working mods:

Offline guided

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 06:10:56 PM »
I thought I'd email Dudley for his opinion, but it seems his email address is now inactive. I shall take your advice!

Offline guided

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 10:02:41 AM »
So I installed it all again, minus the seemingly incorrect Dudley files... and I still can't get to Ulgoth's Beard! I made sure I'd backed everything up, made multiple saves in advance, and it still doesn't work! I can get to the edge of area 0400, but the Ulgoth's Beard area is unobtainable. I guess I'll have to start again... argh!

Offline Jarno Mikkola

• The Imp.
  • Planewalker
    • website jocuri
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 10:31:49 AM »
Or you could continue the game until you kill Sarevok and then get send to the village, or if you really want to get there, cheat yourself with the Console:
Code: [Select]
CLUAConsole:MoveToArea(AR1000)
By the way, the exit should be in areas AR1400 and AR0900. Link. ;D

Offline guided

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 03:44:21 AM »
The cheat doesn't seem to work... it says that area 1000 does not exist! I'll kill Sarevok first and see what happens...

Offline guided

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 03:05:20 AM »
OK, I killed Sarevok and didn't get transported to Ulgoth's Beard. I have got the console to work, however , so I reloaded my final save and used the MoveToArea command. Hey presto! I'm in Ulgoth's Beard and I can move about the world map again. I shall complete the 3 Ulgoth quests, then go back to finish off Sarevok!

I also found that Marek's antidote was only good for one use, in spite of the text saying it was good for ten doses. The console came into use to fix that as well.

I'll report back with any further difficulties!

Offline guided

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 12:29:51 PM »
All finished! Many thanks for telling me about the console "cheats", without which I would not have been able to finish the game. On to BG2!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: