Author Topic: Help needed with translating a sentence  (Read 2879 times)

Zyaenna

Help needed with translating a sentence
« on: July 16, 2008, 08:11:40 PM »
Hi,

Ive been messing around with the SolaMod in an attempt to translate it (nothing serious for now at least) but i got stuck at a certain convo (at least i think its the proper combination of dialogs):

[SOLA]: <CHARNAME>, ever since I joined your party I have noticed your perplexed looks at me. Is it too forward of me to ask what is troubling you?
[PC]:     Oh, no troubles. I'm just a little surprised in the change in you. I never expected you'd be so... well-versed in surfacer poetry.
[SOLA]: Are we not entitled to hobbies, my <PRO_LADYLORD>? I'm sure you're fond of something other than fighting and adventuring. We drow do appreciate the    finer things in life, believe it or not. But you are right, it is unusual for any denizens of the Underdark to be well versed in foreign literature. The philosophy book I have was purchased in blood. That particular skirmish is one of the few battles I'm truly proud to have won.
[PC]:     I'm guessing the Fighter's Guild doesn't have many available tomes for you to read?
[SOLA]  No, they did not. (smiles) However you seem to be taking this drow into the heart of your party surprising well. I thought you would be questioning my change in manner rather than taking me at face value.

What purpose does that underlines sentence serve? How does it relate to the topic of the conversation, maybe it is some idiomatic expression  i dont know? I mean they are talking (at that point) about (more or less) books and then he says about him being taken into the heart of CHARNAME's party. Why?

Also, what does the italicized part mean? He thought that CHARNAME would question his innter transformation rather then, well, such an earthly delight as reading? (ok so reading isnt just that but you know what i mean)

I would appreciate your help very very very much :)

Zy

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Help needed with translating a sentence
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:22:54 AM »
It means Sola is surprised by PC's good graces and continued trust. In the Underdark Sola showed no interest in poems or literature in general. Now he does. He is  surprised that PC would nod and smile and take him as he is, instead of being suspicious at this change.

Zyaenna

Re: Help needed with translating a sentence
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:58:31 AM »
Ah, thanks Kulyok, thanks a lot, i read through your explanation, installed the mod, checked it again and now i get it. Still, its not my 'type' of thinking so i find it a bit unusual:)
Zy

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: