Author Topic: How to convert a .d file to .dlg with WeiDU  (Read 6680 times)

Offline Phobossus

• Planewalker
How to convert a .d file to .dlg with WeiDU
« on: June 23, 2008, 11:51:02 AM »
It might sound noobish, bah I'm sure it SOUNDS noobish but .. >.>

I don't know how to convert a .d file to DLG with WeiDU. Every time I launch
WeiDU, type a command and press enter, it shuts down. Could u please tell me
exactly what command should I type and how to confirm it ?

Thank You

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:11:29 PM »
It might sound noobish, bah I'm sure it SOUNDS noobish but .. >.>

I don't know how to convert a .d file to DLG with WeiDU. Every time I launch
WeiDU, type a command and press enter, it shuts down. Could u please tell me
exactly what command should I type and how to confirm it ?

Thank You

You need a .tp2 file.  Read the beginners guide to NPC making.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline Phobossus

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 01:05:59 PM »
May I do just something like that?

BACKUP ~SlytheTheNPC/backup~
AUTHOR ~Phobossus~
COMPILE ~SlytheTheNPC\Slythe.d~

Cause I only want to compile a .d file to dlg, I don't wanna make any new NPC's etc.

I've tried doing so and only fattar error occurs. What is that I'm doing wrong ?

Offline Phobossus

• Planewalker
Re: How to convert a .d file to .dlg with WeiDU
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 02:04:54 PM »
Okey, The tp2 file looks like that:

BACKUP ~SlytheTheNPC\backup~
AUTHOR ~Phobossus~
BEGIN ~SlytheTheNPC for BG2: TOB~

COMPILE ~SlytheTheNPC\Slythe.d~

The folder I've got a .d file in is named "SlytheTheNPC"

So looks my .d file, but I guess it's all right with it. Don't worry about language.

IF ~~ v5b
SAY ~A oto i nasz stary znajomy. Witaj, <CHARNAME>, obawiam się jednak, że spotykamy się po raz ostatni~
++ ~Slythe? Myślałem, że nie żyjesz.~ + v5b.1
++ ~Para szalonych złodziejaszków spod Wrót Baldura. Chcieliście zabić wielkich książąt, lecz pokrzyżowałem wam plany.~ + v5b.1
++ ~Wolałbym się jednak do was nie przyznawać. Mogę już iść?~ + v5b.1
END

IF ~~ v5b.1
SAY ~Nawet śmierć nie rozdzieli mnie z moją słodką Kristin. Ponieśliśmy porażkę we Wrotach Baldura, ale oto i jesteśmy, by wyrównać rachunki. Opłacało się
jechać taki kawał drogi do Atkathli. Nigdy nie dowiedzielibyśmy się o twoim pobycie w tych stronach, gdyby nie nasz nowy zleceniodawca.~
= ~Widzę to twoje żałosne spojrzenie. Tak, dostaliśmy nową robotę, którą wykonamy na pewno. Jesteśmy w końcu zawodowcami, a tej nocy to udowodnimy!
++ ~Zabiłem was raz i z przyjemnością zrobię to po raz drugi~ + v5b.2
++ ~Czy moje zwycięstwo nic was nie nauczyło? Będę zmuszony zabić was po raz kolejny~ + v5b.2
++ ~Kogo polecenia teraz wykonujecie?~ + v5b.3
END

IF ~~ v5b.2
SAY ~Oszczędź sobie tych pogróżek, nasza nowa gildia jest w stanie zapewnić nam dobrą ochronę, wielu ludzi oraz nawet jeśli zajdzie taka potrzeba,
wskrzeszenie. Sądzę, że nie mamy już o czym rozmawiać, <CHARNAME>. Zobaczmy czego nauczyłeś się przez te parę lat i czy naprawdę jesteś takim zagrożeniem,
jak wspominał nasz przełożony.~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ v5b.3
SAY ~Wątpię, żeby ci się to do czegoś przydało. Siedziba naszej nowej gildii mieści się poza Amn i wątpię, żebyś kiedykolwiek tam się dostał. Wątpię też,
żeby martwi przejmowali się sprawami śmiertelnymi. Chodź Kristin, zabawmy się!~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

And so looks weidu error:

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4983/weiduly7.png

What the hell is causing it?

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 02:26:32 PM »
You need to go back and take a look at the tutorials, man - Grim already pointed you in the right direction :)

IF ~~ statename
SAY ~something~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~something else~ GOTO another_state
IF ~condition~ THEN REPLY ~something else~ EXIT
END

is the right kind of format, but it needs two things:
1. a place to call home
2. a way to be called on.

Right now, you don't have any place for it to call home. The name of the file you compile means nothing to WeiDU... if you compile ThisIsABogusFile.D, it looks inside and says "ok, now, what do you want me to do?"

It needs to find something - either a
BEGIN ~myDialog~ // which creates a new one

or adds to an existing one

APPEND ~myDialog~
all my code here
END // of adding to my dialog file

but you also are missing the way things get called on *within* the dialog file. If you do compile that, you will have a bunch of stuff that cannot be called on ever... it has nothing linked to it to call on. So

IF ~~ stateneme

can only be called through a GOTO or EXTERN or CHAIN reference. It has no condition, which means it will not play unless directly called by somthing else.

Good tutorials - here at PPG, Blue's Road to Banter. Theaceface's NPC Guide also is out there on several sites, and lots of back posts detailing this out with a quick google search - look for Grim Squeaker, berelinde, and Jastey as posters who have a bunch of easy-to-follow "help me" posts already scattered about PPG, G3, SHS, CoM, and such, and a gentle approach to new folks.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:10:12 AM »
Good tutorials - here at PPG, Blue's Road to Banter. Theaceface's NPC Guide also is out there on several sites, and lots of back posts detailing this out with a quick google search - look for Grim Squeaker, berelinde, and Jastey as posters who have a bunch of easy-to-follow "help me" posts already scattered about PPG, G3, SHS, CoM, and such, and a gentle approach to new folks.

And thus, thousands of posts by jcompton, Andyr, SConrad, CamDawg, Ghreyfain, Bons, and someone called Weimer were swept to oblivion with one dashing gesture. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 05:03:51 AM »

And thus, thousands of posts by jcompton, Andyr, SConrad, CamDawg, Ghreyfain, Bons, and someone called Weimer were swept to oblivion with one dashing gesture. Sic transit gloria mundi.

But somehow mine survive.  Weird.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline Qwinn

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 06:54:41 AM »
Erm, actually, I've never needed to use a .tp2 to turn a .d into a .dlg, or vice versa.

I've always been able to just issue weidu at the command prompt, followed by the full filename.

Example:  I have a dialogue named dable.dlg.  At the command prompt, I type:

weidu dable.dlg

This creates a dable.d in the same directory.  If I want to make changes and then recompile it back into a .dlg, I type:

weidu dable.d

Am I missing something about the initial request that requires using a .tp2?

Qwinn
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:56:42 AM by Qwinn »

Offline Phobossus

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 07:26:13 AM »
I tried doing the same, but after typing a command I press enter in order to confirm it. Then it shuts down. The way you are doing is much easier and faster.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 07:36:33 AM »
That may be because of the directory shift. I usually open Windows Commander(Total Commander), make sure that both .d file and weidu.exe are in the same directory, make sure that this directory is chosen, then type
weidu myfile.d

Offline Phobossus

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 08:29:08 AM »
No matter what command I type (I can type nothing), every time I press enter it exits.

jastey*

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 08:33:38 AM »
Are you sure you are operating WeiDU from inside a command window that adresses the folder WeiDU is in, not by double-clicking WeiDU itself?

Offline Phobossus

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 08:36:51 AM »
Double-clicking .. damn, sorry I'm new to any modding programs, rules etc >.> So I am supposed to open it in cmd?

Offline Qwinn

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 08:55:15 AM »
Yes.  Issue the command as I described from a dos command box.

Qwinn

Offline Phobossus

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 08:59:10 AM »
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4554/weidudd9.png

Huh? It looks like I'm still doing something wrong ?

Offline Qwinn

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 11:23:31 AM »
You have your .d in a directory called weidu\weidu?

And from that rather odd error I'm getting the impression you typed the word weidu twice.

Lastly, you probably need to have your dialog.tlk file in the same directory.  I recommend copying the weidu.exe and your .d to your game directory and working with it there.

Qwinn

Offline Phobossus

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 12:10:18 PM »

Offline Qwinn

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 12:13:49 PM »
Okay.  You don't have to enter "weidu", scroll all the way down to "arguments", and enter something there.

Right at the command prompt.  Right at your

C:\Program Files\BG II - SOA\

(or whatever game you're modding) prompt.  THERE.  You type "weidu myfile.d".  Assuming that you have weidu.exe, myfile.d and dialog.tlk all in that directory, of course.

If you -are- doing that, then show us a screenshot of where you've actually typed it at a prompt, please.

Qwinn

Offline Phobossus

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 12:17:04 PM »
I understand now. I thought that the argument line was for typing commands and after typing one command, Weidu closed. It sounds a bit silly :s I've got it now, thanks for your time (and patience ^^).

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 01:38:18 PM »
I have the power to delete history? Cool. I never knew a suggestion of some starting points had so much power. Bene legere saecla vincere. To be clear, I suggest beginners start with second-generation tutorials rather than original posts, then graduate to post searches on relevant topics. I do not recommend Weimer's materials as they have been subsumed into modern modding tutorials (and some of the stuff he does has been replaced with more non-destructive ways of working through the bigg's changes to WeiDU).

Back on topic, if you stick just to PPG tutorials (since it is JCompton's house here), Phobossus, the following are available as relatively comprehensive approaches to tutorials, with enough depth to get you into understanding what is going on. I started ith Blue's, then went to Ghreyfain's, then bugged Grim Squeaker until he finally got me onto the right track:

Blue - http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,61.0.html - definitely doesn't answer posts much, but this one rocks for beginners and approaches things step by step.

Ghreyfain - http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,52.0.html - pretty much no longer around, but the contents are solid and approachable.

Ghreyfain - http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,53.0.html - NPC Dialog 101 - follows on to the first.

For google searches, I continue to recommend searches for the above folks. Having worked my way through the first generation posts on all of the big forums while learning myself, there are several posts which Grim Squeaker, berelinde, and Jastey have responded to with basically full length tutorials, broken down with examples and worked through patiently, with follow up. Plus, they still answer questions via PM or post. I would recommend my own help posts, but 1. they are often over-wordy, and 2. I like analogies, so for ESL folks they can be hard to follow (sample [here] ).

The vast majority of the other posters mentioned in this thread are great "I know what my question is so I can search for it" posters - CamDawg, for example, excells at patching and debugging explanations, JCompton at global authorship issues and philosophy/history, SConrad and Nythrun at "deep-code" (PHP_EACH and GET_ARRAY and BIG_FANCY_PATCH_HERE) stuff, Zyraen at truly pushing the boundaries of CHAIN construction, and Theaceface's materials are a good summary (3rd generation) of the posts and materials found all over the place, so are a solid place to start as well. The Bigg is not one to be trifled with - ask only when it is worth his time or (rightly) suffer his wrath (and you have exhaused the documentation). There are lots of other folks who are out there too, but you will get to know them via their back posts and answers. A comprehensive list would be thousands of posters.

Esto perpetue, et sic de ceteris. And good research *starts* with a google search. If it ends there, then we move off of (mis) quoting Latin maxims and begin (correctly) quoting The Princess Bride.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:48:43 PM by cmorgan »

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 02:18:45 PM »
I understand now.
Cool. Don't worry, all of us started somewhere at some point.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: