Author Topic: Pit Fiend killed Dragon = no XP  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Anacron

• Planewalker
Pit Fiend killed Dragon = no XP
« on: June 02, 2008, 07:24:17 AM »
I summoned a Pit Fiend (as per cleric spell) to tank Firkraag, and he got the killing blow.  I didn't get any experience, though I did get the loot.  Is this a bug or working as intended?  I have a few mods installed, though I don't think any affect XP gains.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: Pit Fiend killed Dragon = no XP
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 07:28:47 AM »
That's as intended. Notice that the summoned Fiend is red-circled: it is not your ally as such, it is not under your control, it is just a bloodthirsty monster which you can summon closer to your enemies than to you in the hopes that it will attack them.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Cuchulain82

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 11:41:28 AM »
I don't agree with that decision by the game designers/2nd Ed creators for a bunch of reasons, but one obvious one is that it seems arbitrary. Why is a pit fiend not under your control but other summoned creatures are? I think it's a silly way for the game to work.

Offline Daulmakan

• Comfortably numb
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »
Because the Pit-Fiend is Gated, while most of the other creatures are Summoned. Gated doesn't entail other than simply getting the creature to do what it usually does in its own place in the place you brought him in, no other strings attached. Summoned creatures are invoked in service to the caster, and their continued presence in the place of summoning is tied to the spell's duration and the caster himself.

An Elemental would return to its elemental plane after the spell that summoned it ended. A Pit-Fiend is free to roam the Material at will after being Gated.

Offline Anacron

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 04:35:22 PM »
I thought it was meant to be like that, it makes sense to me.  Ah well, I reloaded my game and killed Firkraag properly instead. ;)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: