Author Topic: BG2 on a new mac failing to recognize discs  (Read 12193 times)

Offline Cuchulain82

• Planewalker
BG2 on a new mac failing to recognize discs
« on: May 31, 2008, 03:03:14 PM »
As a continuation of this thread, I have successfully installed BG2 SOA and TOB on my new Mac (OS 10.4.11), disabled Spotlight indexing, updated TOB, destroyed the corrupted temp folder, and generally spent way too much time troubleshooting. Just when I thought everything was copacetic, I've found that my game doesn't recognize changing discs. So, when I go from one are to another and I have to "Insert Disc X", when I do so, my drive spins for a sec and then... nothing.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 10:05:37 AM by Cuchulain82 »

Offline Gorilym

• hyperbolic strawman
  • Planewalker
    • MacEasyTutu
Re: BG2 on a new mac failing to recognize discs
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 03:36:48 PM »
Haven't heard of this particular issue before. However, why haven't you made a full install of the game? If you do, this problem won't matter, as you won't have to change discs at all (you just need to have Disc 2 in the drive on launch, for copy protection purposes and whatnot).

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »
ToB requires a full install. If you didn't run the recommended procedure for a Mac OS X full install of SoA, it's possible your key is incorrect. Make sure that the Alias section in your Baldur.ini is
Code: [Select]
[Alias]
CD5:=:CD5:
HD0:=:
CD1:=:CD1:
CD2:=:CD2:
CD3:=:CD3:
CD4:=:CD4:
With ToB installed, you'll need a ToB disc (CD5) mounted to play.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:01:23 PM by devSin »

Offline Cuchulain82

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 06:35:17 PM »
Haven't heard of this particular issue before. However, why haven't you made a full install of the game? If you do, this problem won't matter, as you won't have to change discs at all (you just need to have Disc 2 in the drive on launch, for copy protection purposes and whatnot).
Hmmmm... I did a "maximum" install, which I imagine is a full install. (Macs have "full" install issues, so I did the standard minimum install, and then had the choice to upgrade to "recommended" or "maximum." I chose "maximum.")

However, I've done this in the past and still needed to switch discs. Maybe this is tied into the following:

ToB requires a full install. If you didn't run the recommended procedure for a Mac OS X full install of SoA, it's possible your key is incorrect. Make sure that the Alias section in your Baldur.ini is
[Alias]

My Baldur.ini file looks like this:

[Alias]
CD1:=Baldur's Gate II CD 1:CD1:
CD2:=Baldur's Gate II CD 2:CD2:
CD3:=Baldur's Gate II CD 3:CD3:
CD4:=Baldur's Gate II CD 4:CD4:

So maybe that's the problem- that it still asks for the prompt. I'll delete the "Baldur's Gate II" above and see what happens...

Edit: It worked! That seems to have kept the game from asking about the CDs, and I can travel all over the place. With CD 2 in the drive I went from the Docks to the Temple (which normally requires CD3), then to the Watcher's Keep, and to the Umar Hills (which requires CD4). No CDs were asked for- success! Thanks all!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:46:10 PM by Cuchulain82 »

Offline Thich

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 06:58:08 PM »
Is there a way to mount disc images from the HD and have the game use those as data sources? I did a 'recommended' install, and would like to avoid the hassle of both full uninstall/reinstall and the hassle of switching discs.

Both minor, I know, but mama always said I was too stubborn for my own good.

walksloud

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 11:56:48 PM »
[Alias]

I am having the same problem, but my [Alias] looks just like this (in the .ini file).  I have done a full install of BG2 and ToB.  However, when I reach a certain area (Umar Hills) the game requests CD 3.  I am having this problem on both Leopard (10.5.6) and Tiger (10.4.11).

I have been wasting a lot of time trying to get this game working on my mac.  I would much prefer to waste my time playing it...

Thanks

Offline walksloud

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
[Alias]

I am having the same problem, but my [Alias] looks just like this (in the .ini file).  I have done a full install of BG2 and ToB.  However, when I reach a certain area (Umar Hills) the game requests CD 3.  I am having this problem on both Leopard (10.5.6) and Tiger (10.4.11).

I have been wasting a lot of time trying to get this game working on my mac.  I would much prefer to waste my time playing it...

Thanks

EDIT:  I should mention also, that when I insert Disk 3, it is unrecognized and spat back out, as with the original posting....

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 11:33:01 AM »
This was a problem resolved by the final patch. The only link to the patch I could find is: http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=eng&sys=mac&file=BGII_ToB2.1.2.sit&ref=ps (click one of the "Mirror" links to download; I'd suggest "Mirror 3"). You'll need StuffIt Expander to decompress the archive.

CHaWP

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 03:45:57 PM »
Hey, i'm having the same problem, but i just can't find a working link to download patch 2.1.2 for ToB  :'(

Offline hook71

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »
Yes, the file seems somewhat hard to find now. I uploaded it here if you want it: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/54299-done-mac-chitinkey-not-wine/#entry552580

Dcase

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 10:23:02 AM »
Having the same issue - asking for disc 3 when trying to get to Umar hills.  I am not an expert code writer or anything of the sort, can someone give me step by step instructions on how to fix this issue?  Please and thank you

Offline hook71

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 01:57:16 PM »
If you download the archive I linked to above it contains instructions in the file BG2 ToB ReadMe. You just replace two files in your current installation.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: