Author Topic: Tatics Mod - Improved Guarded Compound  (Read 4902 times)

Offline MacrosB

• Planewalker
Tatics Mod - Improved Guarded Compound
« on: March 07, 2008, 12:01:29 PM »
While I've made it through the new Ilyich, improved TorGal, and Improved MaeVar; I am getting my butt kicked by the improved guarded compound.  While I can get the initial fighters slowed I cannot not seem to do anything to stop Sion from getting to the point where he can cast time stop and then come out of it with the horrid wilting which tends to kill half my party.  I've tried casting dispel magics right away and Ive tried sending my best fighter right at him at the beginning but nothing I do seems to keep him from getting his spells off.  Is there some tatic or spell I should be looking at to help in this battle?  Thank-you for any input you have, especially since most of the other posts seem to indicate they think it is an easy battle.

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
    • Azazello’s Music Profile at Last.fm
Re: Tatics Mod - Improved Guarded Compound
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 12:19:18 PM »
Nothing deep...

-- if you got it, Prot f. Magical Energy on everybody, or Prot f. Magic scrolls should work nicely
-- area spells work even during Time Stop, so hit 'em with all you got. Their saves will prevent some or most, but others might get thru
-- Teleport Field, Teleport Field, Teleport Field. Very handy 4th level spell.
-- depending on the mods you have installed, there's a ring or two that counters Time Stop for the wearer. I once wrote a fanfic post about how my Wizard Slayer surprised Sion during a Time Stop. Slice-&-Dice...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 12:21:09 PM by Azazello »
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls
========================================
"Deception has many faces. Truth...has only one."

Offline MacrosB

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 02:14:52 PM »
Thank-you for the advice but at this moment I don't have anyone at a high enough level to cast protection from magical energy and I dont have a teleport field scroll.  Sooo, since I still can't seem to damage Sion I think I will go off and do other things for awhile and come back to him later.  Thabnk-you for your help

Offline mortaron

• Planewalker
  • Stop touching me!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:18:39 PM »
Hello,

I'm assuming you've already trounced this, however i'll throw my 2 cents in.  Sion is very vulnerable to breach if you can True sight him first to get rid of Improved Invisibility.  Once breach is down you should be able to interrupt time stop.  If your party is mage-heavy like mine always is, spam fireballs hard (if one of them has cloak of Vecna they should be instant cast), this should roast at least one of the enemy fighters (Olaf?) and get your own fighters to chop up the Kensai.  As soon as one of them dies you can actually flee downstairs again and slaughter them piecemeal.  However, I see this as a bug and stayed upstairs with minimal difficulty.

You need to ensure that your thief is detecting traps as soon as you hit the stairs and get rid of that paralysis trap.

Admittedly, I didn't attempt the improved Guarded compount until I was roughly level 10 on all my characters (if it was the normal guarded compound I would go straight in), but I had other class quests to do, and went and emptied out the Umar Hills dungeon as well first.

Hope this helps.

Offline bladeofBG

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 02:00:37 PM »
I juss completed the improved Guarded Compound for the 1st time last night! My party was:

-Half-Elf Blade PC
-mutli-player created Elf Fighter/Rogue
-Aarie
-Jahiera (SK'ed to Cleric/Ranger)
-Minsc (SK'ed to Undead Hunter)
-Valygar

Round 1---we approached the 2nd floor from the opposite end from where Sion and his party were:

-Aarie casts Holy Smite, which was even able to dmg some skeleton warriors
-Blade PC uses Harp of Confusion in the middle of the floor (as opposed to thier party, as I expected thier tanks to advance), was able to confuse Ketta, Olaf and Maferan
-Jahiera throwing the Valhalla Warrior in the middle of the floor
-rest of party members use ranged weapons

2nd and 3rd Rd's----Berserk Warrior, Maferan, and Olaf are battling the skeleton warriors

-Jahiera casts a Holy Smite
-Aarie casts a True Seeing spell to dispel Sion's Mislead
-my ranged attackers all focused on Koshi, who had thrown lightning at my Blade PC, and Minsc was able to get the deathblow on him...ironic how thier toughest tank fell first! The curse of dishonouring the customs of Kara-Tur! :D
-Valygar kills Ketta in melee

4th and 5th Rounds-----the melee gets closer to my frontliners

-Blade PC casts Defensive Spin to compliment his stoneskin, to tank vs all the skeleton warriors!
-Aarie casts Secret Word at Sion
-Jahiera casts Summon Woodland Creatures, juss to buy some time vs the skeleton warriors
-Fighter/Rogue concentrates his ranged attacks vs Stalman
-Minsc blasts Maferan with the Ring of Ram to get him out of the area, so he can throw AzurEdge at Maferan, and focus on the skeleton warriors as they advance

6th Round----the biggest boon I have ever gotten in a fight (and something I don't recomment anyone to ever bank on!)

-Sion casts Time Stop, but then sets off the trap right next to him for 51 dmg, and ends up killing himself!
-no action for the next few rounds, save for the confusion wearing off Maferan and Olaf, and Stalman and Aarie's True Sight's goin on!

9th Rd and beyond:

-just fighting the skeleton warriors, Stalman, Maferan and Olaf using a combination of melee, ranged attacks, magic, and Rod of Ressurrection to heal the tanks in what turned out to be a very long fight!
-----------------------------------

Has anyone else ever been so lucky vs Sion?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: