Author Topic: Nalia doesn't want us to save the keep  (Read 5195 times)

Offline Kanain

• Planewalker
  • Formerly known as Kerith_Nyrond
Nalia doesn't want us to save the keep
« on: February 24, 2008, 03:44:26 PM »
First of all, I want to apologize for not being much of a presence during beta.  Things got a little hectic for me the last couple of months.  Anyway, that aside, I just started playing recently.  We recovered the keep last night, and I got my first LT.  All is well on that front.  Right now I only have one observation.  I'm not sure if this is something that has been pointed out in the past, if it even applies to the scope of this mod, and perhaps it only bothers me.

As you all probably know, the game believes that the Troll occupied Keep is a dungeon.  Well, there will be times when we are there, fighting trolls, and Nalia pops up with her line about how she is unhappy about the fact that we are "traipsing" around there.  She points out that we are certainly not helping the less fortunate.  What?!  Are you not the chick who asked us to come here?  Boo does not understand...are we not doing this liberal butt kicking at your behest?  Is there some way to stop this from happening?  If so, then it should be done...if only for the sake of continuity.

That's all I have right now.  I'm really looking forward to playing this mod.  Thanks again JC and Kulyok!
What is this?  A center for ants?!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Nalia doesn't want us to save the keep
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 03:57:39 PM »
As you all probably know, the game believes that the Troll occupied Keep is a dungeon.  Well, there will be times when we are there, fighting trolls, and Nalia pops up with her line about how she is unhappy about the fact that we are "traipsing" around there.  She points out that we are certainly not helping the less fortunate.  What?!  Are you not the chick who asked us to come here?  Boo does not understand...are we not doing this liberal butt kicking at your behest?  Is there some way to stop this from happening?  If so, then it should be done...if only for the sake of continuity.

Yes, it's a popular joke in BG2 community. But it's in the original game, so there's not much we can do.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 04:05:10 PM »
There's something we could do, but I am torn between "reminding the player that Nalia can be a dumbass" and "fixing what really is probably just a silly oversight." We'd just have to decide on a new Dungeon area comment for Nalia to make--which would have been easier if we'd gone ahead with the revoice plans.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Kanain

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »
Just looked at the ARE files in NI out of my own curiosity.  Would removing the dungeon flag from the occupied keep, like it is for the stronghold version of it, be out of the question?  It's not really a dungeon either way...except maybe for the "cellar".

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 08:56:42 PM »
Well, it's "dungeon-y" in that it's full of things which want to kill you, like trolls and whatnot. That would be an alternate solution, yes.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 03:12:26 AM »
But then we'll have lovetalks(not just Nalia's, but others) in it, and some mods may be using "Nalia's Keep is a dungeon" flag for some reason, so it is not an entirely safe thing to do.

(And then again, when the soul-less, dying PC is wandering the passages of Spellhold with his faithful companions, Nalia rather tactlessly brings forward the subject of less unfortunate, as well. If I recall correctly, she is doing the same in Hell, too).

Offline shiroryu

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 05:41:16 AM »
Nalia: Here's some money, you poor dear.

Hell Genie: Uh..thank you, but I'd rather have Blackrazor.
"Kneel before the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt." - Mazrim Taim, Wheel of Time

"Right. I had to get up at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill and pay the mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our mother and father would kill us and dance on our graves singing Halleluja. "

Offline Kanain

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 02:18:26 PM »
But then we'll have lovetalks(not just Nalia's, but others) in it....

Ah good point.  I guess I will just have to accept Nalia for who she is...dumbass and all.  (grumble....)

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »
You could set her dungeon sound to a null file while she's in the keep basement.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 03:44:25 PM »
Yeah, I considered that too. That's the easiest solution, although it's difficult to get around the fact that it's a pretty dumb thing to say whenever she might say it.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 05:19:27 PM »
Sure, but mild idiocy is still better than rank idiocy, no?

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 06:03:39 PM »
...insert joke here?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 08:53:16 AM »
Okay, I'll play for rank idiocy: how do you set the string to null? Should "~~", with no [AUDIO], do it?

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 08:57:37 AM »
I'd try a SetPlayerSound(Myself,-1,AREA_DUNGEON). WeiDU might be unhappy with the negative sign; I guess you could try 4294967295 instead. If that doesn't work either, then yeah, some ~~ [] should work.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 09:10:44 AM »
Thank you, I'll try that.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 02:03:59 AM »
Anyway, fixed now. Only in the Keep - she'll still compain in Hell, in Spellhold, and in the Underdark.

But! Yesterday, as jcompton was testing Nalia, he said that she still says "... I could sit and do nothing back at the Keep..." in the Keep (that's her bored line). Maybe we'll blank the whole sounset in V3?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: