Author Topic: A mini-rant on sign-offs  (Read 1188 times)

Offline shiroryu

• Planewalker
A mini-rant on sign-offs
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:04:49 AM »
<somewhat deep breath>

People need to stop qualifying their e-mail salutations. 'Regards, <name>' is a perfectly good one - until the opposite side responds  with 'Warm regards'. Now if I reply with 'Regards' he'll feel slighted. It's like the Arms Race of Salutations - there's an escalation in the offing. What should I go with? 'Warmer Regards'? 'Hot Regards' - no, that's misleading. "Regards from Hell?" That's as warm as you can get.

Solution is simple - stick to regards, people.

<breath++>
"Kneel before the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt." - Mazrim Taim, Wheel of Time

"Right. I had to get up at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill and pay the mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our mother and father would kill us and dance on our graves singing Halleluja. "

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: A mini-rant on sign-offs
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 03:18:03 AM »
I feel the same about happy birthday threads. If I reply "Happy Birthday! :) " and people post simple "Happy Birthday." afterwards, I feel naive and fluffy. If I post a serious "Happy Birthday." and people post "Happy Birthday! :) (a wide array of crazy smilies afterwards)", I feel like a grouch.

Then again, there's this horrible "two bottles of beer" smiley at Studios - each time I see it, I feel vindicated, for surely, no one will be as (whatever) as to actually use it.

As for e-mail, I just more or less stopped putting in "Cheers", "Regards" and other stuff, except for the formal correspondence at work, where my signature is standardized. It's mostly "no beginning, no end, just the actual information/gossip/stuff" in my letters.