Author Topic: General Questions / Comments about the kits  (Read 17119 times)

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
General Questions / Comments about the kits
« on: January 15, 2008, 12:20:52 AM »
Just for future reference, I won't be answering (many) questions about the planned kits -- I'd rather hear some input about what you'd want them to be like, first. I planned on including a few more kits in Version 1 of the mod (3 more to get me to the halfway mark, at any rate), but I decided to cut it a bit short, in order to let my 2nd mod see the light of day as well.

So -- what do you like? What sucks? What wasn't what you expected?

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
Re: General Questions / Comments about the kits
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 07:19:22 AM »
No comments yet, but congrats on the release. :)
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 11:56:10 PM »
Yo, thanx, Dawg. Congratulations yourself, it was your tutorial that did nearly half the work.  ;)

John

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 12:20:52 PM »
Are those kits in your mod that have the same name as the kits provided in the game meant to replace the kit provided by BG2 or are the meant as an additional kit from which one can choose?

Thanks,

John

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 02:01:01 PM »
If they have the same name, they replace the original. If they have a different name, they add.

The only variation on this is that when I make my adjustments to the Kensai kit, I'm thinking of changing the spelling to the more correctly Japanese Kensei.

Offline aVENGER

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 02:32:24 PM »
Congrats Six! Nice work. :)

Offline Bursk

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 03:35:34 PM »
SoS, do you think some of your current/planned kits would go well with any of the NPCs in BG1 and BG2?  I ask because Nythrun's Level One NPCs mod should be at version 1 soon, so we'll be able to assign your kits to any NPC we like.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »
Well, Valygar is just screaming to become a Hunter of the Occult, but then I'm not the only person/group aiming to fill that particular niche, so there's a good chance I'll be beaten to the punch on that one. Then again, I might not like their version, & go ahead with mine anyway. Mazzy might want to be a Bowman, or maybe even a Mystic Marksman, but that would hurt those players who like to use her as a Tank, or a Truesword of Arvoreen. I say she's better off without my kits. Eldoth's arrows could be a good opening to make him a Spellshafter, but frankly, Spellshafters suck beans at low levels, and becoming weaker is the last thing Bards need. None of the other NPCs really jump up & say, "Me, me," in my opinion, apart from Kivan, who's already been made an Archer.

I won't be bringing out Version 2 of the Kitpack for at least another couple of months (barring the discovery of some horrendous, game-killing bug, which seems very unlikely), so do not wait for me to move before publishing your Level One NPCs.

[ADD:] It has since jumped out at me that Faldorn is a Geomancer: In BG1, she's standing inside a stone henge and she's upset that people have dug a giant hole into the earth in order to rip things out of it. In BG2, she never leaves her (mostly) natural cave and says that she draws her power from the earth itself. Oh yeah, definite Geomancer here. [/ADD]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 12:57:42 AM by SixOfSpades »

Offline yarpen

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 02:27:58 PM »
Nice work Six, I was waiting for your kitpack. :-) Haw, you reminded me that I should fix this mine.

Offline Bursk

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 02:34:53 PM »
Many thanks, SoS!  Are there any other kits that suck beans at low levels?

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 12:18:23 AM »
Pretty much all of the shooter-type kits fare poorly in the early stages, as their primary strength (ranged THAC0 bonuses) is level-based, and what might be considered their primary weakness (armor restrictions) is not. So kits like the Bowman and Mystic Marksman give up the ability to wear good armor in exchange for . . . pretty much nothing, in BG1. The Spellshafter is particularly screwed, as he can wear neither Mage Robes nor Elven Chain, meaning that if he wants to cast combat spells, he's stuck wearing Bracers until he finally gets UAI. Yes, I will be tweaking this in future versions.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 11:35:37 PM by SixOfSpades »

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 11:40:34 PM »
For those of you who are interested, I'm curious: Of the kits I've listed and have not yet done, which are you most interested in seeing done first? Does the Drunkard pique your interest, or would you rather see the Wizard Slayer finally attain the place he deserves? Note: I can't do the Beast Master or Rapscallion yet--I don't know how. So don't vote for them.

Offline Bursk

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 10:42:37 AM »
Have you released any details of the Wizard Slayer changes yet?  If not, I'd like to see what you have planned for that.  Oh, and will the Wizard Slayer avoid low-level bean suckage?

Offline FarisCultist

• #1 Pirate Lover!
  • Planewalker
  • "I want to see buttons of me around town."
    • Counter-Strike Clan: Heaven or Hell Forums
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 04:37:09 AM »
Shield Bearer THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've been wanting this class for a while! I think you did this very well!

I just didn't like seeing Mimics of another Class's Kit: Ranger(Archer). Nice effort, but I think it would've been decent to just leave that Kit to Rangers Only. I like the "Sniper" I'll give you that, made Theives more useful, though.

Again, Thank you for the Shield Users!

Offline Tieflingz

• Backstabber
  • Planewalker
  • Backstabber
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 12:34:25 PM »
Comment: I must say
Your kitpack is awesome. I like how the kits refer to certain in-game faiths and customs, such as Martyr and Huntsmen of Sylvanus

Question:
Could you create kits and adjust the alignment restriction for clerics on the next release?

I've tried out Ashes of Embers with their new addition kits for Clerics, but found out them not connected to the preset Faerun for Baldur's Gate at all

So uhh... Please make new kits for the clerics~ Oh, and also modify the alignments restricted, I don't think a Chaotic Neutral cleric can become a Helm Watcher afterall.. More like Lawful, Good, and Neutral, no chaotics~ I believe Chaotic Neutral can become Talos Cleric as well

I think Umberlee, Oghma, Mask, Tymora, Waukeen, Tempus, and the Triads (Ilmater, Torm, Tyr...) would be a nice start perhaps, I'd also give out the names of Auril and Red Knight, but they're more of a Icewind Dale (1281-1312 DR) period rather than BG series (1369 DR)

On the side note, if there is already a mod for clerics like this out there somewhere with more precised description and such, please do tell!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 12:45:43 PM by Tieflingz »
All hail Lawful Evilness<br />Oh, and Hiding in Shadows/Invisible Potion Gulping with Backstabbing in the face.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 06:19:54 PM »
Thanks for the kudos, all. Give me lots of warm fuzzies. :D

Tieflingz: What you want is most closely approximated by Cleric Remix. I may be doing a few Cleric kits in my Kitpack, but they're a few Versions down the list; the next Version is focused on 6 kits with 6 very different ways of screwing up enemy spellcasters. Yes, Bursk, the Wizard Slayer is one of them, and yes, it is no longer made of suck.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: