Author Topic: Why is Nalia such a sex symbol?  (Read 21524 times)

Offline Gnick O Thyme

• Planewalker
Re: Why is Nalia such a sex symbol?
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 08:13:44 AM »
Oh, as an aside regarding looks... does anyone else besides me think she looks a lot like Drew Barrymore?

Yep, that's the best part!
Anyone ever get reminded of Drew Barrymore in Ever After by Nalia? Seriously, the similarities in their characters and looks are, well...I always thought obvious, at least.
You catch on quick, don'tchya? ;)

Seriously though, I think people like a romance with her because it makes her a bit more interesting.  She's such a rip-off of Imoen stat-wise, and this gives her something different.  She's also the only romance I know of who'll go for dwarves!

I don't like her original "limosine liberal" personality.  I'm hoping for some insight on this personality in the romance.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 11:20:23 AM »
I don't like her original "limosine liberal" personality.  I'm hoping for some insight on this personality in the romance.

I'm curious what your take will be. I made a conscious effort not to "rehabilitate" her character as such and to preserve as many of the odd angles of her character as possible. If players are paying attention, there should be some places where they're wondering, "Wait, did Nalia just say something terribly offensive and pass it off as a compliment?" If she didn't, I don't think it would be very true to the character.

But as in real life, for those we love, we tend to overlook such flaws... at least most of the time.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline shiroryu

• Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 12:45:10 PM »
While I did find Nalia quite uptight in the mod as well as vanilla Bioware, I realize that she was never meant to be the Romantic Ideal. Brought up in sheltered conditions, having parents who, though good at heart, differed somewhat in their views on money and classes, and having an aunt who simply hates the poor - I think Nalia's done pretty well. Also, she's young, so she hasn't yet had time to grow up, to see the grays among the blacks & whites. ( Which is why it's a bit rich to have CHARNAME spouting platitudes - he/she is only 20 as well, and Bhaalblood doesn't automatically confer the wisdom of experience! )

Consequently, while some of her dialogue grates on our sensibilities( judgemental, haughty etc. etc.) it stems from a genuine ideology, warped as it is by conflicted upbringing. Even Bioware NPCs comment on her naivete, so Bioware knew where they were going with this one - it was just that the leap from naive in SoA to serious in ToB was too abrupt to do her complex character much justice. I'm very much interested in how JC will handle that shift( nudge nudge).  ;)

"Kneel before the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt." - Mazrim Taim, Wheel of Time

"Right. I had to get up at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill and pay the mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our mother and father would kill us and dance on our graves singing Halleluja. "

Offline Gnick O Thyme

• Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 09:58:04 AM »

I'm curious what your take will be. I made a conscious effort not to "rehabilitate" her character as such and to preserve as many of the odd angles of her character as possible. If players are paying attention, there should be some places where they're wondering, "Wait, did Nalia just say something terribly offensive and pass it off as a compliment?" If she didn't, I don't think it would be very true to the character.

But as in real life, for those we love, we tend to overlook such flaws... at least most of the time.
If her annoying personality traits are still there when I romance her, I'll love the romance.  I don't like it when people try to change things around.

Offline strayshift

• Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 03:02:50 PM »
She also gets to say 'B*stard' - made me laugh...  ;D

Offline Blizzard Beast

• Overambitious Drunken Lout
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2008, 08:06:26 AM »
I quite like her actually. Though her original portrait is pretty godawful with those beads and things flying everywhere. No wonder I put in the JPS alt portrait.

One thing I have to say about this mod, though, is that soundtrack to her LTs. Sorry, but I really can't abide it. Acoustic guitars a la romcom don't really fit with the game as a whole.
"Xanathar the Elder Orb swore that he would never again use vacuum-powered airline toilets."

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 07:54:44 AM »
Replacing the track is pretty trivial, fortunately. I concede its lack of authenticity, as I do with the Kelsey track, but for whatever reason those two pieces just seemed right to me. They're more distinctive than some mediocre noodling-at-the-orchestra-strings-patch synth work, which I like.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Neirfane

• Strange among the strange
  • Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 09:59:19 PM »
my first time through the game i liked her. since i was a fighter from bg1 it all worked out. but when i played the mod the first time i was disapointed she didn't opt for the marriage of conveniance.

Offline ddv

• Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 06:35:54 PM »
I'm very much interested in how JC will handle that shift( nudge nudge).  ;)

It looks like a difficult task to explain the sudden changes in Nalia's personality seen at the start of ToB, and what influence the romance may have had on that shift. It must be very tempting not to ignore it entirely as a piece of personality development confined to a Nalia the PC isn't romancing.  Also very interested to see how that will be handled.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: