Author Topic: Ding0 Catches Up On: Quest Pack  (Read 49073 times)

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
Ding0 Catches Up On: Quest Pack
« on: December 23, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
You know the deal by now. There is a lot to do here.

Firstly, the changes so far:

- Area: Removed duplicate Elder Orb which would appear in the Beholder lair.
- Area: Resolved issue which would cause Revan to just stand there instead of attacking.
- Besamen: Fixed typo which appeared in one of my screenshots. Oh dear.
- Besamen: Added minor dialogue to Enge. (Thank you, Cam, for forcing me to write a serious situation for a comedy character.)
- Coronet: Resolved journal entry typos.
- Coronet: Minor adjustments to Moiya story for plausibility.
- Hell: Various changes to streamline the Selfish test. This should hopefully solve various rare issues.
- Hell: Standardised disabling of area transitions during tests.
- Infernal: Increased Cowled spawn timer to 7 rounds.
- Infernal: Resolved minor typos.
- Infernal: Wilbur now carries the sword if you don't buy it from him.
- Infernal: The Cowled Wizards now verbally condemn you for the events.
- Miscellaneous: Ribald now wears the Archmagi Robe instead of sitting on it.
- Miscellaneous: Reinstated Bons' spectre encounter.
- Miscellaneous: Vampiric Sime works again.
- Miscellaneous: Reinstated placement of Potion Cases and Ammo Belts in SoA.
- Negotiation: Turning Vithal hostile should now work correctly.
- Potion: Added additional Potions of Magic Blocking and Mirrored Eyes.
- Potion: Potions of Magic Blocking now protect against levels 1-5 instead of all as per description.
- Thieves: Added extra motivation to assist Mae'Var.
- Updated for compatibility with the BG2 Fixpack.
- Resolved (huge, huge) issue which would cause installed components to be incorrectly recorded.

And here is what I have for examination from now:

- Problems with Solamnic Knights
- Reputation penalty for Marilith in Bridge District too harsh
- Gorf the Squisher fix not functioning correctly?
- Reports of Terminsel crashing the game.
- Broken scripts on Lavok and Tanova
- Monsters attack paladins in Umar Hills before you even get there on paladin stronghold quest?
- Booter-on-the-rack is actually on the floor, and can still talk about people he's tortured.
- Killing paladin in graveyard district causes NO VALID LINKS when selling Risa
- Duplicate done quest journal entries after Kamir interferes
- Confirm Meronia appearing correctly
- Arkanis Gath appearing when clearing out Mae'Var's guildhouse for Renal? Also when betraying Mae'Var to Aran?
- Look at compatibility with Rogue Rebalancing
- Stop undead drinking potions.
- Confirm Reward Negotiation functioning
- New Mind Flayer innates suck. A lot.
- Dryad's acorn quest loot unequipable
- Project Image and Simulacrum scripts set to cast on enemies?
- AI targetting too random, doesn't go for nearest enough, gets stuck in doors. Trolls shouldn't have such good prioritization. etc.
- Possible to have multiple Jadaraths spawn in bridge district?
- Both Sanik and assassin can die in Vulgar Monkey, rendering path impossible
- Gauths see invisible and even sanctuared creatures and can cast spells on them
- Orc archers in red dragon lair do not shoot
- Invisible servants downstairs in the slaver guarded compound are way too easy as opponents
- Mazzy/Gorf resolution via Bernard not working if Surly is gone?
- Vampires in Bodhi's lair now target allies with dire charm, and they turn hostile when you attack
- Edwin sometimes failing to join correctly if you agree to work for Rayic then betray him?
- hdragsil.cre dislikes being overwritten
- Reynald spawning issues?

Have I missed anything?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:57:32 PM by SimDing0™ »

Offline Mike1072

• Planewalker
Re: Ding0 Catches Up On: Quest Pack
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 04:55:17 AM »

Offline aVENGER

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 06:41:39 AM »
Look at compatibility with Rogue Rebalancing

Seemed pretty solid during my testing. As mentioned earlier, I'm using custom areas and custom creatures for the Shadow Thief guildhall encounters as of RR v3.8 and, AFAIK, Quest Pack doesn't alter any of the Shadow Thief opponents outside of the guildhall except STGUARD1.CRE. Therefore, only a very minor incompatibility issue can occur if the players install Quest Pack after Rogue Rebalancing since Quest Pack adds a couple of Detect([PC]) lines to STGUARD1.BCS and this can disrupt the "stealth path" through Bodhi's tasks which RR introduces. To avoid this, you can simply replace those lines with See([PC]) which is what I do in RR.

Also, I've noticed that you give Mae'Var the Short Sword of Backstabbing if the PC sides with him instead of Renal. While this is fine in the unmodded game, RR gives the SSoB to Aran (so that it can be acquired later) and makes Renal award the player with a generic Short Sword +3. Since several mods (not just Quest Pack) tend give Mae'Var the SSoB I've added the following block to his guildhall area script (AR0301) in order to prevent SSoB multiplication:

Code: [Select]
IF
Global("RR#MSSOB","AR0301",0)
HasItem("SW1H10","MaeVar")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("RR#MSSOB","AR0301",1)
TakeItemReplace("SW1H74","SW1H10","MaeVar")
ActionOverride("MaeVar",EquipItem("SW1H74"))
ActionOverride("MaeVar",EquipMostDamagingMelee())
END

This seems to work fine and Mae'Var now gets a Short Sword +3 in case he had the SSoB. As you can see, both issues are fairly trivial and can be easily avoided with the proper install order.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 12:53:09 PM »
Were you planning on incorporating any recent Iron Modder entries?
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 01:05:58 PM »
At this stage I'd rather aim for stability than new content, so the update will be mostly bugfixes. I wouldn't rule out the possibility, though.

Offline ronin

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 01:23:59 PM »

Offline Caedwyr

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 02:16:13 PM »
I'm guessing the
- Resolved (huge, huge) issue which would cause installed components to be incorrectly recorded.
is what is described in
http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,24263.0.html

Which would keep certain components from properly showing up in installs, especially if you did any sort of reinstalls.
"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Study Hard.  Be Evil."  - Mikka

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 06:24:34 PM »
Orc archers in red dragon lair do not shoot

If these are the archers I think they are, it's because they're equipped with shields(!) - this turned up as a problem in SCSII as well.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 03:48:01 AM »
Dear Mr.Ding0,

we all hope we have not lost you again in time and space because you are so much needed here among your aficionados!  ;D

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 03:36:06 AM »
 :'(

Loz

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 11:04:45 AM »
I've noticed a few more things than were noted above that may or may not be bugs in my run through the game with quest pack:
-The summoned efreet no longer have free fire shields or use any spells by themselves. They are also seemingly incomaptible with scsii's improved genies as after i installed both they just stopped doing anything altogether.
-The ogre mages that you sometimes encounter in random wilderness attacks seem to be dropping extraordinarily large amounts of loot, don't get me wrong i quickly gathered it up and took it every time it happened, but perhaps it is not intended.
-It is impossible to install quest pack without installing the creature improvements. Furthermore i think this mod would greatly benefit from spliting these improvements into seperate components. For example i really liked the new shadow dissolving attribute and the mummies gaze of despair. However i really don't like the drow innates, particuarly the globe of darkness i just find to be annoying. The dancing lights also seem to have some sort of graphical glitch on my pc(i play with 3d acceleration off) and look really bad. The mind flayers seemed to have gotten weaker with their new innates aswell. As you already noted the vampires charming allies in chapter 6 is very annoying.
-The boss improvements were barely noticeably, both bodhi and irenicus were still completely useless.
-The new options with the harpers are no longer availible after you pick up the original bird... which is very easy to do without thinking, perhaps this is intentional though. I was also dissapointed that there was no completely peaceful solution(i.e. keep xzar alive but don't side with him against the harpers). Ideally warning him but not agreeing to help him would be my preferred outcome.
-The abduction in the bridge district seems very silly, and makes mention of spellhold well before the pc's are supposed to know of its existence. Without this the only way i know of to even hear the word 'spellhold' before the end of chapter 3 is at the end of the mage stronghold where teos mentions it, but even he is very cryptic.
-Sime can already be met again in the vanilla game right at the top of brynnlaw, i didn't notice any changes with your mod.

Other than this i really enjoyed playing your mod, the highlights for me were the marilith encounter in the bridge district(which seemed a far better way to show the cowled wizards are doing their job than the abduction), nazariel the lich(cool battle, nice area and entrance, cool story, it might be nice if some kind of reward was availible once you got his phylactery to the surface though, some scrolls maybe) and the potion quest(very well written indeed). I also enjoyed the new dialogue options in the oasis and the ability to save sanik in byrnnlaw, but was a bit dissapointed golan didn't appear at any point if you do.

Offline Qwinn

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 10:33:45 PM »
-The ogre mages that you sometimes encounter in random wilderness attacks seem to be dropping extraordinarily large amounts of loot, don't get me wrong i quickly gathered it up and took it every time it happened, but perhaps it is not intended.

I wasn't sure what mod was responsible for this, but I did notice it also.  And "extraordinarily large amounts of loot" is not an exaggeration - not only was it a ton of money, but it also frequently provided level 7-9 spell scrolls that simply weren't available any other way until TOB.  I had to seriously resist the temptation to wander around till I found ogre mages - nothing else came close to being as rewarding, including actually following the main plot, heh.

As you already noted the vampires charming allies in chapter 6 is very annoying.

*nod nod nod nod nod nod nod nod nod nod*

-Sime can already be met again in the vanilla game right at the top of brynnlaw, i didn't notice any changes with your mod.

I think the extent of this mod is that one of the vampires you meet in the gauntlet fighting alongside Bodhi is named "Sime" instead of "Vampire".  So basically, yes, you find out what happened to her after you met her at the top of Brynnlaw and she says she'll go get help.  She didn't make it.  But she doesn't speak nor is it otherwise mentioned in conversation.  It's not much of a mod, heh, just the renaming of a critter you need to kill.

As for the abduction in the bridge district, I actually kind of liked it, but Loz is correct, the mention of Spellhold itself should probably be removed.

Oh, one other thing:  the readme says that the moneylender quest "won't provide a fast way to get the money for the trip to spellhold".  I don't see why not.  Optimizing the reward for this quest is pretty simple: 

SPOILER:

Start the Moira quest, talk to the moneylender about Moira, then before he disappears during that questline, borrow some money (I usually borrowed 5000), pay it back immediately (6500), wait a day or three, then borrow as much as you can (I think it was 25,000).  Then do the Moira quest till he goes away.  Then go to Brynnlaw soon after.  23,500 gold profit, with no repercussions beyond the fight in Brynnlaw which I think you get regardless if you do Moira's questline, but either way, not a big deal.

DONE SPOILER.

Other than this i really enjoyed playing your mod, the highlights for me were the marilith encounter in the bridge district(which seemed a far better way to show the cowled wizards are doing their job than the abduction), nazariel the lich(cool battle, nice area and entrance, cool story, it might be nice if some kind of reward was availible once you got his phylactery to the surface though, some scrolls maybe) and the potion quest(very well written indeed). I also enjoyed the new dialogue options in the oasis and the ability to save sanik in byrnnlaw, but was a bit dissapointed golan didn't appear at any point if you do.

Ditto to all the nice stuff in this paragraph :)  Though all my 5 year old bitching about the changes to the potion quest from the original stand, damnit!   ;D  (in case you needed motivation to ignore this whole post ;)

Qwinn
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:49:29 PM by Qwinn »

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 04:41:07 AM »
Simding0,

you might want to take a look at this topic too:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=13736

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 04:45:52 AM »
From a G3 Topic:

"The "Revised Hell Trials" component brings its own version of hdragsil.cre. Now this isn't very mod-friendly, but to be fair, the creature file is valid.
Problem is: The effects offset is zeroed. What happens is that upon installing the "smarter dragons" component, the immunity to blindness effect is written to the start of the file (thus makes it unusable). The next step, granting immunity to some spell, will read garbage from 0x2c4 when determining the eff. offset.

So one should either check for invalid offsets upon applying effects or get Sim to redo Revised Hell Trials."

Perhaps there is something you can fix in this area as well?

Offline Amgot

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 07:27:28 PM »
- Confirm Reward Negotiation functioning

Just FYI, this worked perfectly last time I played (nice feature btw!).

Do you have any ETA for Quest Pack v3?

Offline Leomar

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 01:10:06 PM »
At first I don't know if you know this problem with batch-files. If we want to start your mod over the batch-file, we are missing to components to can choose. That means, we can not install the following components with a batch-file, because of missing numbers:
- Miscellaneous Enhancements
- Addition Shadow Thieves Content

Here is something to explain why it can be that we can't choose these numbers for the batch-files:
If you choose here Skip them, the components “Miscellaneous Enhancements” and “Additional
Shadow Thieves Content” are not indicated, although they are not installed, and you cannot select
them.

In addition I don't know if you want notices or bugs in a MegaMod with BGT we have found, but I think I 'll list them, so you can decide what you want to do with it or not.
All these things are noticed in our "BiG World Project" guide:

10.6. Ding0's QuestPack v2.3

This mod must be installed because of interactions with Kelsey, Keto and Virtue after these
mods, must also be installed after NPCFlirt Pack to avoid inappropriate flirts in the underdark and
must be installed before Refinements.

ATTENTION: This Mod must be installed in three steps! The component General AI Improvements is
to be installed before SCS, the component Improved Oasis II is to be installed before Longer Road,
all the others after Kelsey!

Choose your Language 2 [Deutsch]
You named Caswallon as translator. From him is the first part. The second part of the german translation I've send you is of Cronox.

Install Component [General AI Improvements]? nstall
This component need to be installed before the Durlag's Tower component of SCS.

Install Component [Creature & Area Improvements]?
1] All Creature & Area Improvements [1]
2] All Creature Improvements
3] Boss Improvements Only
This component need to be installed before the Durlag's Tower component of SCS.
These two components we install at this point in the installation order.

ATTENTION: Questpack changes kit.ids in the folder override faultily in a way that the entry 0x4000
MAGESCHOOL_GENERALIST is overwritten. Later other mods will run into troubles with it! Therefore,
replace this file with that one of the same name from the folder BiG World Fixpack\expanded
ids files.

20.7. Ding0's QuestPack v2.3

ATTENTION: This Mod must be installed in three steps! The component Improved Oasis II is to be installed before Longer Road!

Install Component [Improved Oasis II]? choose one:
[IO2 Dialogue & Combat Enhancement] [1]
[IO2 Dialogue Enhancement Only]?
This component we install at this point in the installation order.

21.8. Ding0's QuestPack v2.3

ATTENTION: This Mod must be installed in three steps! All the others after Kelsey!

21.8.2. The corrections of BG2 Fixpack in the Hell Trials require an adaptation of the suitable files. Depending
on whether you have installed LuvNalia or not, different files are required.
without LuvNalia: Replace the files d4a_1.baf, d4b_1.baf, d6a_1.baf, d6b_1.baf in your directory
...\questpack\helltest\data with this ones of the same name from the folder BiG World Fixpack.
with LuvNalia: Replace the files d2a_1.baf, d4a_1.baf, d4b_1.baf, d6a_1.baf, d6b_1.baf in your directory
...\questpack\helltest\data with this ones of the same name from the folder BiG World Fixpack.

Here follows a description of the fixes you can use:

Code: [Select]
Ding0QuestPack v2.3

These changes are needed to make the questpack component "Revised Hell Trials" compatible with BG2 Fixpack without LuvNalia installed:

d4a_1.baf

IF
OpenState("DOOR04",TRUE)
Global("OpenedDoor2","AR2904",1) //this line is added
Global("OpenedDoor4","AR2904",0)
Global("OpenedDoor5","AR2904",0)
Global("OpenedDoor6","AR2904",0)
NumInPartyGT(1)
InPartyAllowDead(Player2)
InParty(Player2)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("OpenedDoor4","AR2904",1)
MoveViewPoint([502.1313],INSTANT)
Wait(1)
ReallyForceSpell(Player2,HELL_DAMAGE_HALF)
Wait(1)
MoveViewObject(Player1,INSTANT)
END

d4b_1.baf

IF
OpenState("DOOR04",TRUE)
Global("OpenedDoor2","AR2904",1) //this line is added
THEN
RESPONSE #100
Wait(1)
ReallyForceSpell("hellvict",HELL_DAMAGE_HALF)
Wait(1)
END

d6a_1.baf

IF
OpenState("DOOR06",TRUE)
Global("OpenedDoor4","AR2904",1) //this line is added
NumInPartyGT(1)
InParty(Player2)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("OpenedDoor6","AR2904",1)
Wait(1)
ReallyForceSpell(Player2,HELL_EXPLODE)
Wait(1)
END

d6b_1.baf

IF
OpenState("DOOR06",TRUE)
Global("OpenedDoor4","AR2904",1) //this line is added
THEN
RESPONSE #100
Wait(1)
ReallyForceSpell("hellvict",HELL_EXPLODE)
Wait(1)
END

----------------------------------------------------------------------

These changes are needed to make the questpack component "Revised Hell Trials" compatible with BG2 Fixpack with LuvNalia installed:

d2a_1.baf

IF
OpenState("DOOR02",TRUE)
Global("OpenedDoor2","AR2904",0)
!Global("NaliaTaken","AR2904",1) //this line is added
NumInPartyGT(1)
InParty(Player2)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("OpenedDoor2","AR2904",1)
Wait(1)
Wait(1)
END

d4a_1.baf

IF
OpenState("DOOR04",TRUE)
!Global("NaliaTaken","AR2904",1) //this line is added
NumInPartyGT(1)
InParty(Player2)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
Wait(1)
Wait(1)
END

d6a_1.baf

IF
OpenState("DOOR06",TRUE)
!Global("NaliaTaken","AR2904",1) //this line was added
NumInPartyGT(1)
InParty(Player2)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
Wait(1)
ReallyForceSpell(Player2,HELL_EXPLODE)
Wait(1)
END

The files d4b_1.baf and d6b_1.baf are the same as above Fixpack without LuvNalia

Install Component [Revised Hell Trials]? I]nstall
You must first carry out the corrections described on top to be able to install this component.
At this step, all the rest components will be installed.

You can see, because of the conflicts between the named mods, we must install your mod at three places in the installation order like you can see above.
The Fixpack and our guide you can get over the link listed below.

Greetings Leomar

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 01:12:10 AM »
There are many bug corrections that are already fixed locally by SimDing0 for version 3.

I just hope we all can enjoy that soon enough.

Offline Leomar

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
There are many bug corrections that are already fixed locally by SimDing0 for version 3.
I just hope we all can enjoy that soon enough.
Thanks for your response and information, Salk.

Greetings Leomar

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 04:36:52 AM »
SimDing0,

if you happen to read this passing by, may I ask you if we could have even a very small update about how version 3 is doing?

I read in the first post that you have alrady fixed many things but that there are more that you are examining.

Might even be a good idea to release it with the present adjustments and then later on, when you have more time, take care of the rest?

Thanks!

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 05:41:32 AM »
Version 3 should be early this summer, when I've graduated. At the moment, I just do a lot of maths.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 07:08:33 AM »
Wow! I didn't know you were so close to graduating!

Congratulations, Sim!  ;)

Offline Daulmakan

• Comfortably numb
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 10:10:55 AM »
Version 3 should be early this summer, when I've graduated. At the moment, I just do a lot of maths.
Coolness. Good luck with your finals.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 01:31:48 AM »
How did it go with your finals, Sim?

We have been crossing our fingers for you!  8)

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 06:13:54 AM »
Springs can be extremely long, I guess....  :o

Stalwart Kurtz

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 12:02:11 PM »
Eagerly anticipating this mod, especially towards slaying the Shadow Thieves with the help of the Amnish soldiers. Death to the parasites!

I've only played BG2 twice, and both times without mods. Looking forward to playing this alongside this new fangled "BG2 fixpack" come version 3.  ;)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: