Author Topic: Untapped Banter Resource: Familiars  (Read 6977 times)

EarthquakeDamage

Untapped Banter Resource: Familiars
« on: September 25, 2007, 03:22:14 PM »
In my last run through SoA I made my familiar invincible (more so than with Imoen's Belt) just so I could let it run around outside my pack for once without dying.  It occurred to me then that there are absolutely no interjections or party banter opportunities present for the PC's familiar.  I see no reason to leave the little guys mute.  Thoughts?

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
Re: Untapped Banter Resource: Familiars
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 03:24:53 PM »
There are a couple of folks who have come up with ideas for improved familiars and improved familiar dialogues; a quick search will get you in touch with them. It is a great idea, and the dialogue portion is much easier to deal with than upgrading the actual familiar. If you have ideas, for what they should say, it is worth a run through jotting down responses at different parts of the game, and then checking back - folks here will help you code it.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 03:40:43 PM »
Aw, that's adorable!

I don't know about banter, because I always imagined that familiars communicated with their masters telepathically, and took little or no interest in their master's companions, once those companions demonstrated that they were not a threat to the master.

But there is the rather delightful possibility of interjections. I can so see a familiar reacting to something someone else is saying.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 03:45:29 PM »
* CamDawg looks at BG1 NPC...
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 03:53:28 PM »
Closed and bolted, that one. A new mod, though - why not? Familiars of Faerun!

(I never take a familiar. Sentimental I may be, but I won't keep my favourite pet in my backpack. In some ways, it's worse than Aerie and her little Quayle).

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 10:40:27 PM »
And very doable on both EasyTutu/Tutu4/BGT and BG2. I decompiled and posted relevant dialogue files for the PseudoDragon familiar publically awhile back at SHS for someone, and included reference to JCompton's Lilacor banters coding for items, and ananlysis of what you could grab to look at for examples out of a couple of other mods - for ease of use, Familiars are probably easiest to script as big extended Player Initiated Dialogues for most things (since it is one-on-one mental communication, like Minsc/Boo). For good examples, see BG1NPC PID components, Kivan, Kan, Gavin... in fact see most of the more "modern" NPC mods. FlirtPack technology has really blossomed into a pretty straightforward and very customizable template for setting up conditional dialogues [or, to put it more clearly, lots of folks have got stuff you can steal and modify, and if you ask questions folks here will indeed help you.]

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: