Author Topic: SMACK TALK 10  (Read 39282 times)

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
Re: SMACK TALK 10
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2007, 10:26:01 PM »
At least your trick worked.

Almost. I couldn't get the Backstab multiplier to take effect, and didn't have time to see why the "Thief items only" restriction wasn't working (which is why the README looks a bit cockeyed, as I hastily omitted those two lines). I also should have used a more noticable Smoke animation. Once I fix those, and balance the power level, I think I'll add the guy to my upcoming Kitpack.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 10:29:00 PM by SixOfSpades »

Offline AnnabelleRose

• The chain smoking modder-wannabe
  • Planewalker
  • Not Dead
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2007, 10:28:41 PM »
CM: Hack away, I'm currently waiting/hoping that MTS and DA will send me fixed versions of theirs for the DL pack. At worst, I just update it again later.

Assuming I ever get it working.

Kinda sad, I make something so small, and still can't make it work.
"A good pipe and tobacco will make you a patient philosopher or a philistine depending on how you are bent." - Ted's Pipe Shop

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2007, 01:52:40 AM »
Hey, I won! :)

(Sysadmin ran out of the server room to look who was screaming. I had to go outside to make a call, as not to disturb anyone else, and the guys who were smoking there all ran away. Do you know what's wrong with them? I've no idea.)

Now, who can give Darth Vader a new hat?

Offline AnnabelleRose

• Planewalker
  • Not Dead
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2007, 02:41:19 AM »
A deserved win, I was quite impressed with your entry (as my comment on the scoring thread shows).

As for mine, I am afraid it will be another not scored/included entry.

Seeing as I am at hour 12 (almost 13) on a mod that was supposed to take four hours....

I'll just finish it later, and include it in one of my packages (naturally mentioning IMX as the inspiration).
"A good pipe and tobacco will make you a patient philosopher or a philistine depending on how you are bent." - Ted's Pipe Shop

Offline Deathsangel

• Planewalker
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2007, 02:42:24 AM »
Hey, I won! :)

Congrats Kulyok... (I am at work so can't look at your entry)

@JCompton; I am at work now I will try to mess with it tonight once more and see if I can fix it
(after all when I finished it was 23:30 or so and I needed sleep, so that is why I haven't finished it yet)

P.s. Also helping MTS with his codes
Now where did that old interessting mod go? What was it called? O yeah, The Mod for the Wicked. Well, it has been revived!!! Check it out at SHS and at http://www.geocities.com/fanaticfantasyfan

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2007, 03:07:10 AM »
CM: Hack away, I'm currently waiting/hoping that MTS and DA will send me fixed versions of theirs for the DL pack. At worst, I just update it again later.
Oh? Does that mean it's still possible to add some tweaks to other entries? There was some stuff I wanted to put in mine, but ran out of time to implement, like NPC interjections...

By the way, what is the policy on modding your own mod on this one? Seeing as how it uses a side character from BG1 Gavin, I thought it might be fun to mod in some interaction between them at a later date, when BG2 Gavin gets done.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 03:10:52 AM by berelinde »

Offline Deathsangel

• Planewalker
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2007, 03:11:05 AM »
For the two people who downloaded my failed entry... do you know what I did wrong? And was the contents any good at all... (I needed half an hour of thinking what I wanted to do for I started... so much waisted time  :-\)
Now where did that old interessting mod go? What was it called? O yeah, The Mod for the Wicked. Well, it has been revived!!! Check it out at SHS and at http://www.geocities.com/fanaticfantasyfan

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2007, 03:30:44 AM »
I took a peek at it. One of the things you did wrong was you used .dlg as an extension on the dialogue file, instead of .d.

If you substituted Wait() for SmallWait() and extended the times a bit, to like 4 seconds instead of 1-3, the DSH() would be better. Wati() measures time in seconds, SmallWait() measures it in AI script cycles, 15/second. In your cutscene, SDNS() ends the cutscene, so including EndCutSceneMode() after it is unnecessary. Also, moving on to the next action of a cutscene before the last has been completed will cause it to hang. When you have MoveToObject() you have to allow time for the movement to take place. I would insert a Wait(4) after each movement order, and test it to see if it worked.

That's just what I noticed in a few minutes.

Offline Deathsangel

• Planewalker
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2007, 03:45:55 AM »
I took a peek at it. One of the things you did wrong was you used .dlg as an extension on the dialogue file, instead of .d.

If you substituted Wait() for SmallWait() and extended the times a bit, to like 4 seconds instead of 1-3, the DSH() would be better. Wati() measures time in seconds, SmallWait() measures it in AI script cycles, 15/second. In your cutscene, SDNS() ends the cutscene, so including EndCutSceneMode() after it is unnecessary. Also, moving on to the next action of a cutscene before the last has been completed will cause it to hang. When you have MoveToObject() you have to allow time for the movement to take place. I would insert a Wait(4) after each movement order, and test it to see if it worked.

That's just what I noticed in a few minutes.

Okay, thanks I will try to fix it at home... I actually thought I had used SmallWait()... now I need to go back to the script I used as template... I fear a bit of problem in that than as well. Too much Ctrl+C apparently.
I normally traify stuff into .d and .tra, but lacked time guess I forgot to rename.
Okay, as said will take a stab at it back home and see what I can do.
Way more mistakes than I actually thought... jeez, I feel like a noob

To your question I wouldn't add stuff. I am not doing it as well and I will note the exact time I worked on it. At the moment that is 4:30 hours + these two messages
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 03:57:58 AM by Deathsangel »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2007, 06:05:35 AM »
Oh, wow. (Kulyok finds DA's link.) When you mentioned that trick, I thought you approached it literally: with two women and their baby. But this - this was *good*! I think the dialogue might need some proofreading and an extra reply or two, but it's such a pity it didn't work - it's funny, original and lovely(and close to the world of modding, too).

Do we need "Iron Modder 10 discussion" topic? 'Cause I'll certainly be playing all of them.

Offline Deathsangel

• Planewalker
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2007, 06:35:11 AM »
Oh, wow. (Kulyok finds DA's link.) When you mentioned that trick, I thought you approached it literally: with two women and their baby. But this - this was *good*! I think the dialogue might need some proofreading and an extra reply or two, but it's such a pity it didn't work - it's funny, original and lovely(and close to the world of modding, too).

Do we need "Iron Modder 10 discussion" topic? 'Cause I'll certainly be playing all of them.

That actually made my day you know that; or at least made me feel not so bad anymore :) To have the winner of Iron Modder say that... at least it means I had a nice idea and indeed put effort into the dialogue... guess too much as to actually create functional codes  ::)
I tried to call cavalry in at half an hour before time, but unfortunately they were not online or available...  :(
I promise I will work on it tonight and will not the actual hours in the read-me. I hope to finish it with an hour of work.
And I am going to quote part of your message... Just to make me feel good  ;D
And yeah in the original stuff I wanted to add a few more options as just playing say which one would get it and react to NPC's but I was out of time.

As for the dialogue.... yeah I am a "high-need-proofreader-cause-he-makes-so-many-typo's" modder

P.s. Isn't this our discussion topic?  ;)
P.s.s. In this message alone three typo's
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 06:40:55 AM by Deathsangel »

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2007, 09:06:03 AM »
Oh? Does that mean it's still possible to add some tweaks to other entries? There was some stuff I wanted to put in mine, but ran out of time to implement, like NPC interjections...

I would prefer you don't--for entries which worked well enough to be judged it's best in the spirit of the thing to leave them alone... if you wanted to clean up some typos or whatever I wouldn't flip out about it, but for posterity it's helpful for people to see what can actually be done in four hours.

By the way, what is the policy on modding your own mod on this one? Seeing as how it uses a side character from BG1 Gavin, I thought it might be fun to mod in some interaction between them at a later date, when BG2 Gavin gets done.

Typically people take the mods and just incorporate them into something else with the improvements there--IMs don't tend to be part of "recommended installs" or anything like that, so I'd recommend you save the fixes and interjects and whatever for the bigger project (BG2 Gavin or whatever it is). Another good reason not to muck around with the submitted Iron Mod.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2007, 09:10:30 AM »
Oh, wow. (Kulyok finds DA's link.) Do we need "Iron Modder 10 discussion" topic? 'Cause I'll certainly be playing all of them.
Wait--the links to the entries are already up? I'd like to see what/how you guys did.

Offline Deathsangel

• Planewalker
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2007, 09:49:22 AM »
Oh, wow. (Kulyok finds DA's link.) Do we need "Iron Modder 10 discussion" topic? 'Cause I'll certainly be playing all of them.
Wait--the links to the entries are already up? I'd like to see what/how you guys did.

They aren't I just put unconventionally (didn't know it was not done) link up to my faulty mod I am in the process of bug squashing it now. Quickly, still in Iron Modder spirit. It goes further but still hangs.... blast I could use some help or less pressure :)

Offline Deathsangel

• Planewalker
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2007, 12:35:36 PM »
I .... give up. After two and a half hours of trying and constantly testing for 5 to 10 minutes agian I have had it for the moment

For all with more logics in their mind (or luck) than me at the moment, this is improved but still bugged: http://www.4shared.com/file/31720394/ca2e2cf3/DA-IM.html

The normal dialogue doesn't finish unless you have a NPC on board, and yes I tried it by giving Aldo a last line but it doesn't help
Also the second cutscene hangs... Feveron (tried several stuff here as well) refuses to speak (and the view isn't followed to where our Gnome brothers are going)

Thus for tonight I give up. If anyone can come up with a brilliant idea I am game, I have asked two people I am stuck. I would love to see what makes this work...
Download it and please go ahead and wack me with a hammer and tell me that I am an idiot and push my nose into the right solution! Really...
Sorry, I did do my promised and I did work on it, but I simply fail.... makes me wonder if should enter a new IM... It was a good learning experience though.

I entered and got smacked down. Not only by the russian Jean d'Arc in shining armor, but also because my armor was falling apart during my charge, which made me trip and surrender to her all power Iron Modder Queen .... which I probably would have done anyway seeing her all powerful beauty... in modding skills.... Okay... I am officially signing myself off for the day....
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 12:48:40 PM by Deathsangel »

Offline AnnabelleRose

• Planewalker
  • Not Dead
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2007, 02:20:46 PM »
The good news is with alot of help (from three of the people I competed against, heh) the mod installs.

The bad news is it does not work 100%....

........but at least it can be installed now!

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2007, 05:27:51 PM »
JCompton, good points - what it is is what it is :)  Actually, then to be fair, I had better just do a typo-fix for dialogue - I should be able to get to it fast tomorrow between 3pm and 5pm CST, and send you a just-proofread version. I'll tuck the changelog in the ReadMe. For the sake of not cluttering other people's installs, I'll just rip out the CHAIN states that called it, and then if I ever decide to make Volo a BG2 dude I can always come back and mess around!

Offline Deathsangel

• Planewalker
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2007, 05:30:17 PM »
The good news is with alot of help (from three of the people I competed against, heh) the mod installs.

The bad news is it does not work 100%....

........but at least it can be installed now!

Good to hear.

P.s. mine installs as well. Already did after 4 hours it just doesn't run correctly... (still ready for the mallet with the answer to my two problems...)

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2007, 06:17:48 PM »

Typically people take the mods and just incorporate them into something else with the improvements there--IMs don't tend to be part of "recommended installs" or anything like that, so I'd recommend you save the fixes and interjects and whatever for the bigger project (BG2 Gavin or whatever it is). Another good reason not to muck around with the submitted Iron Mod.
Cool. That's why I asked. It's probably typical, but at approximately 1AM, I was struck with a whole barrage of things I could have done differently, all easy enough to incorporate into a full-scale mod, but far outside the possibilities of a 4-hour modding window. There is precedent with Quest Pack on uninstalling Iron Modder entries that are further expanded in full-scale mods, and that seems to me to be the ideal solution, as well.

All things considered, I'm really happy with the way things worked out.

There is one thing I will add to my entry, though: the proper awarding of experience for completing the quest successfully. It's something I meant to do throughout the entire active modding period, but forgot in those last crucial moments, when I was in the basement with a flashlight, trying to figure out how to get my electricity restored in time to submit my entry. I'd like to add that. If you have no objection, I'll send the modified version this evening. If you do have an objection, I'll send it anyway, but I won't ever say a word of complaint if you don't wish to include it.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2007, 07:00:53 PM »
Yes, that's fine.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Western Paladin

• You're not fooling me, 'cause I can see, the way you shake and shiver.
  • Planewalker
  • Jeepers!
    • Gibberlings Three
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2007, 09:02:57 PM »
'Tis the season for mods, apparently. Luckily, I was going to reinstall anyway for the new Crossmod Banter Pack.

Nice going to everyone, and congratulations to Miss K!
"What was that? I couldn't hear you over the STREET JUSTICE!"
-- Stan Smith, American Dad!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2007, 01:12:47 AM »
And I never said "thank you" for all the congratulations!

Thank you ever so - I'm very happy to hear all the nice words. Still looking forward to the entire pack!

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2007, 04:33:45 PM »
OK, final package is away (well, will be when i finish typing this post.) New ReadMe with changes documented:

This Iron Modder 10 entry adds one encounter with the famous Bard and Travelogue Author Volo to the Temple District. It even provides a chance to discover the meaning of life as we know it. If you wish, you can even read into it the meanings of religion, gaming, and certainly modding...

It has options for every single standard BioWare NPC to discuss Volo and his humor if they are in the party when the quest is explained or resolved.

Most of all, it will take as much or as little game time as your heart desires.

Instructions are simple; install the mod, fill up your party with 5 NPCs (or not), and show up at the Temple District. Talk to the Bard, he is lonely and down in the mouth...

and follow his instructions.

Or not. :)

Try it agin with different NPCs, because they all get a chance to make opening and closing comments.

PERMISSIONS: This modding entry is a free and public gift to the IE community, and may freely be used, messed with, mirrored, adapted, expanded, claimed, turned into your next great novel, retitled and claimed as your own (though if you do it probably would be a good idea to add some more dialogue, and tuck in some more fun stuff, or really there is not much point to doing this), or generally incorporated anywhere, as long as you make no money off of it.Take it, and hopefully it will entertain you for a bit!

If you want the "True Iron Modder Experience" that the judges received, either PM me or revert the following typos and cosmetic changes from the package (no content has been changed, enabled, or disabled.)

Changes from Submitted Version:

tp2, line 89, repaired two instances of \ to / for mac/linux distribution compatibility.
tp2, line 89, repaired filename to Community Prefix designation [placevolo.baf >> c-placevolo.baf]

filename change, voloquest/baf/placevolo.baf >> voloquest/baf/c-placevolo.baf
filename changes; all folders and files to lowercase for linux/moc os compatibility

c-voloquest.d, line 14, to uppercase "I".
c-voloquest.d, lines 8 and 15, added EscapeArea() to remove Volo from the area.
Removed uncalled/unset variables left in entry from scrapped side dialogues and materials left on the cutting room floor, lines 21 - 29
[ code ]
// == ~C-VOLO~ IF ~Global("C-VoloBG","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~In fact, I remember you from our meeting along the Sword Coast, I believe.~
// == ~C-VOLO~ IF ~Global("C-VoloBGGarrick","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~I seem to vaguely remember a fair boy, first starting as a bard... Garrick? Yes, that was it, our old friend Garrick.~
// == ~C-VOLO~ IF ~Global("C-VoloBGEldoth","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~And there was a bard, sharp of wit and toungue, and smore slippery than an eel accompanying you, a fellow bard. Eldoth. I remember him.~
// == ~C-VOLO~ IF ~Global("C-VoloBGJaheira","GLOBAL",1) InParty("Jaheira") InMyArea("Jaheira") !StateCheck("Jaheira",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~You, my fine follower of Nature, I remember completely. You have changed, though - your eyes are saddened.~
// == ~JAHEIRAJ~ IF ~Global("C-VoloBGJaheira","GLOBAL",1) InParty("Jaheira") InMyArea("Jaheira") !StateCheck("Jaheira",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~Speak not of my eyes, bard. I do not wish the memories.~
// == ~C-VOLO~ IF ~Global("C-VoloBGMinsc","GLOBAL",1) InParty("Minsc") InMyArea("Minsc") !StateCheck("Minsc",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~And who could forget our hamster and his pet Ranger... Misc and Boo, companions forever!~
// == ~IMOEN2J~ IF ~Global("C-VoloBGImoen","GLOBAL",1) InParty("Imoen2") InMyArea("Imoen2") !StateCheck("Imoen2",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~Heya! Yep, let's help him. We could make it feel like old times, more comfy and all. I miss feeling comfortable. I... I miss saying 'heya'.~
// == ~C-VOLO~ IF ~Global("C-VoloBGImoen","GLOBAL",1) InParty("Imoen2") InMyArea("Imoen2") !StateCheck("Imoen2",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~I do not recognise you, fair lady... wait. Is that you, Imoen? You have changed greatly, my girl. Life tears at you like dull shears through muslin sheets. I am sorry for your pain, Imoen. You wear your scars on your face as well as on your spirit.~
// == ~C-VOLO~ IF ~Global("C-VoloBG","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~But enough of this talk of the past.~
[ / code]
and again line 33
[ code ]
//== ~C-VOLO~ IF ~GlobalGT("C-VoloBG","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~For old times sake, perhaps?~
[ / code ]
Removed vestiges of scrapped after-encounter dialogue, dumped due to time constraints: SetGlobal("C-VoloLeaves","GLOBAL",1) removed from lines 8 and 15
line 32, 38, 49, "i" to "I"
line 43, Jan's longwinded story, "i" to "I", "evben" to "even"
line 44, Keldorn, "soething" to "something"
line 51, Viconia, "inded" to "indeed"
line 57, extraneous "later" at end of dialogue removed.
line 70, Volo, "sighs mightly, but rols back to where the baby tomato is dawdfling." to "mightily, "rolls", "dawdling"
line 70, Volo, "dawdling" again.
line 87, Cernd, "attachedto" to "attached to", "perhas" to "perhaps"
line 88, Edwin, Tayvian to "Thayvian"
line 89, Haerdalis, "inded" to "indeed"
line 94, Mazzy, "yu" to "you"
line 109, statename from "StartFirstDiscussion" to "StartDelayedDiscussion"
line 113, PC response, "eplain" to "explain"
line 133, Volo, edited end to "Have you found the Guildmistress to talk to?"
line 141, Volo, "inkeeper" to "Innkeeper"
Line 143, Volo, removed duplicate DO ~SetGlobal("C-IM10VoloQuestProgress","GLOBAL",3)~
lines 146, 159, Volo, capital "H" to start second sentence.
line 167, Volo, "eperiences" to "experiences"
line 194, Keldorn, missing ' at start of quoted aphorism added.
line 204, Edwin, holy typofest, batman: the final form after repair,
== ~EDWINJ~ IF ~InParty("Viconia") InMyArea("Viconia") !StateCheck("Viconia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty("Edwin") InMyArea("Edwin") !StateCheck("Edwin",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~So you do find me attractive. (Though the dark elf should have used 'intelligent', or 'deceitful'. And I do not smell of anything, except perhaps power. And persimmon.)~
(Don't even ask. Same exact wording, I just ended up typing them as a wordjumble puzzle. I shudder in shame.)
line 205, Yoshimo, "outr" to "our", "recpmense" to "recompense"
line 208, PC reply,"biding" to "bidding"

And finally, updating and addtiton of text to this ReadMe for the distribution version of this Iron Modder 10 entry. Thanks to JCompton and PPG for hosting another Iron Modder Competition, and for the opportunity to test out what I can push myself to do in a short frenzied modding session. Thanks and apologies to JCompton, CamDawg, SConrad, and Major Tom Sawyer for judging, and only kindly giggling at my typos; and thank you to my wife for not throwing me out of the house for choosing a modding session over family stuff!
Sincerely, cmorgan. Thursday, December 11, 2007.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: