Author Topic: Ascension: List of confirmed bugs  (Read 28522 times)

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
Ascension: List of confirmed bugs
« on: September 19, 2007, 01:29:39 AM »
Hello!

I'd like to have people who played/tested Weimer's Ascension to report a list of confirmed bugs to make a rather exahustive reference for possible future fixes.

I'd also like to ask you all if installing only the first component (Ascension), is going to reduce the number of bugs found in the game.

Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 06:49:33 AM by Salk »

Offline ScuD

• Planewalker
Re: List of confirmed bugs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 05:59:44 AM »
I have checked the Ascension files with G3 Debugging Suite and made some CRE/ITM corrections. Where should I post them?

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:03:12 AM »
I suggest you contact erebusant who recently told me he is working on a cleanup of Ascension.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline ScuD

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »
Thank you very much, will do.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 09:01:16 AM »
Any news to report ScuD?  :)

Offline ScuD

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 10:47:21 AM »
ask erebusant ;)
he has revamped Ascension, but right now I think he's waiting for the translations
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:54:19 AM by ScuD »

Offline erebusant

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 04:27:48 PM »
ask erebusant ;)
he has revamped Ascension, but right now I think he's waiting for the translations
Actually, it is ready to go. I haven't done anything as far as translations are concerned. I hadn't changed anything with dialogs except for decompiling Gromnir, Illasera, & Yaga's dialogs and creating .tras to use to recompile them so some of the response triggers could be altered. Those .tras will probably need translation. Actually, now that I've figured out how to do it properly, I'll go back and do the proper REPLACE_RESPONSE_TRIGGER, or whatever it is that needs to change so It isn't replacing the complete STATE and .tras aren't even involved anymore. Give me through the weekend and it should be done.

Offline erebusant

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 10:54:03 PM »
ask erebusant ;)
Actually, it is ready to go. I haven't done anything as far as translations are concerned. I hadn't changed anything with dialogs except for decompiling Gromnir, Illasera, & Yaga's dialogs and creating .tras to use to recompile them so some of the response triggers could be altered. Those .tras will probably need translation. Actually, now that I've figured out how to do it properly, I'll go back and do the proper REPLACE_RESPONSE_TRIGGER, or whatever it is that needs to change so It isn't replacing the complete STATE and .tras aren't even involved anymore. Give me through the weekend and it should be done.
OK, I have the three existing ToB dialogs arranged with an ALTER_TRANS setup so there is no translations required, and added the latest DS instead of the former replacing of STAT.IDS or the previous BP version of detectable spells, and incorporated all th bug-fixes I could glean from the forums so this should be pretty much ready to roll. Just waiting on the release of the latest BG1NPC and SCSII so I can run a test install.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 11:01:07 PM by erebusant »

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 05:47:13 AM »
I've just done an update to DS. It shouldn't affect you directly at all (since I presume you're only using the core DS package, not the ~fix_old_DS_scripts~ macro (which is mostly for fixing old-style Ascension)?

However, if you do the following somewhere in the Ascension-new TP2

COPY_EXISTING ~misc1.itm~ ~override/dw#fixasc.mrk~

then mods (notably SCSII) that try to convert Ascension to new-style DS will know it's already been done, and won't try again.

erik

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 09:12:46 PM »
Fix for a long-standing annoyance with Ascension - the stray "Symbol slow" spell with grease icon on the spell selection screen for level 5 wizard spells.

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=32703 reminded me.

Code: [Select]
--- Setup-Ascension.tp2.old     2008-05-04 03:58:05.000000000 +0200
+++ Setup-Ascension.tp2 2008-05-04 04:07:54.000000000 +0200
@@ -126,6 +126,9 @@

COPY ~ascension/bcs/copy~       ~override~

+COPY_EXISTING ~finmel.bcs~ ~override~
+  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~SPWI545~ ~MELS545~
+
 ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
 // BMP
 //
@@ -253,7 +256,7 @@
 COPY ~ascension/spl/melspl12.SPL~ ~override/melspl12.SPL~ SAY 8 @1026
 COPY ~ascension/spl/nabpara.SPL~ ~override/nabpara.SPL~ SAY 8 @1027
 COPY ~ascension/spl/yaga01.SPL~ ~override/yaga01.SPL~ SAY 8 @1029
-COPY ~ascension/spl/Spwi545.spl~ ~override/Spwi545.spl~ SAY 8 @1031
+COPY ~ascension/spl/Spwi545.spl~ ~override/mels545.spl~ SAY 8 @1031
 COPY ~ascension/spl/balth03.spl~ ~override/balth03.spl~ SAY 8 #72915
 COPY ~ascension/spl/balth04.spl~ ~override/balth04.spl~ SAY 8 #72916
 COPY ~ascension/spl/balth05.spl~ ~override/balth05.spl~ SAY 8 #71989

Offline Caedwyr

• Planewalker
Re: Ascension: List of confirmed bugs
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 07:24:04 PM »
So, has there been any further developments on Ascension with respect to erebusant's bugfix update?  I'm hoping to play a game of BG2 in the next little while and a bugfix update for Ascension would be just dandy.
"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Study Hard.  Be Evil."  - Mikka

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
    • Azazello’s Music Profile at Last.fm
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 01:58:02 AM »
Bugs:
-- Overwrites STATS.ids
-- Overwrites AR4000.BCS [EndofBG1 variable for ToB?], interfering with BGT
-- Overwrites several SPL files, causing - at minimum - [this bug].

Workaround:
-- Install Ascension before G2 BG2 Fixpack, or soon after installing Baldurdash.

Fixes:
-- FIX: Yaga-Shura should lose his resistances slowly over the time
-- FIX: Tougher Yaga-Shura crash
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 02:07:29 AM by Azazello »
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls
========================================
"Deception has many faces. Truth...has only one."

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 12:11:03 PM »
There is (I think) a rather well-hidden bug in either Ascension-WEIDU or the original Ascension.

To wit:

- the original  (pre-Ascension) Tougher Balthazar upgrades Balthazar's monks (4 x BALELITE.CRE) to 4 unique monks (BALELIT1 thru BALELIT4)
- it implements the replacement through a new version of cut242a.bcs
- Ascension-WEIDU is distributed with BALELIT1 thru BALELIT4 included, but
- the new version of cut242a.bcs isn't included, so you don't see them.

Offline coaster

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 04:19:39 PM »
I think there is a bug with the final (evil) restored Bhaalspawn power (the extra 25% physical resistances). It simply does not kick in on my barbarian (I'm sure I've seen this reported on the Bioware forum as well).

The "Restored Bhaalspawn powers" element of Unfinished Business, however, appears to implement the power correctly.

David.Lee

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 02:51:57 AM »
1. Installing g3 fixpack after Ascension will change Ascension's slayer change dialogue. The result is that you cannot shapechange to ravager.

2. About the stats.ids:
Some people suggest adding a blank line to Ascensions' stats.ids. Is that a reliable workaround?

Offline coaster

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 02:42:38 PM »
Hi erubusant,

Any word on how the update is going (seeing the UB update discussion reminded me of this)? You said back in March 08 it was pretty much good to go...but since then things seem to have gone quiet. It would be great to see a fixed version as Ascension really is one of the best mods out there.

cheers

coaster

Spiff

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 06:56:19 AM »
Echoing what the previous poster wrote.

Would love a fixed version.

Offline agris

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 03:57:50 PM »
Has erebusant squirreled away his fixes, or does anyone know of it being released anywhere? I PM'd him about them but never heard back, maybe its part of something hush-hush.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 08:57:20 AM »
Is it just me or is this code writing the *existing* offset values to the file?
Code: [Select]
  // Vertex 38+ coordinates
  WRITE_SHORT   0x978 0x3fe //1022
  WRITE_SHORT   0x97a 0x182 //386
  WRITE_SHORT   0x97c 0x3f2 //1010
  WRITE_SHORT   0x97e 0x1a8 //424
  WRITE_SHORT   0x980 0x413 //1043
  WRITE_SHORT   0x982 0x192 //402

WRITE_SHORT   0x984 0x1b2 //434
  WRITE_SHORT   0x986 0x285 //645
  WRITE_SHORT   0x988 0x1c6 //454
  WRITE_SHORT   0x98a 0x25b //603
  WRITE_SHORT   0x98c 0x1cd //461
  WRITE_SHORT   0x98e 0x288 //648
Could someone double-check their ar5505.are area in Near Infinity (without Ascension installed)? These are the vertex offsets for the ThroneR and ThroneL trigger regions, respectively. I commented the decimal values next to the writes. On my install they're the same values; in Gaider's original Ascension these were updated to match the moved regions.

And as I was toying with updating this mod, maybe I shouldn't bother now that I see erebusant did a comprehensive update. But I see no reference to his changes in the mod on weidu.org and he said it was ready to roll over two years ago. What gives? He's always been really good with releasing prompt updates. Anyone have a clue what happened to his update (or to him)?
There is (I think) a rather well-hidden bug in either Ascension-WEIDU or the original Ascension.

To wit:

- the original  (pre-Ascension) Tougher Balthazar upgrades Balthazar's monks (4 x BALELITE.CRE) to 4 unique monks (BALELIT1 thru BALELIT4)
- it implements the replacement through a new version of cut242a.bcs
- Ascension-WEIDU is distributed with BALELIT1 thru BALELIT4 included, but
- the new version of cut242a.bcs isn't included, so you don't see them.
I don't see this script in the original Ascension either... it sounds like it should be a matter of REPLACE_TEXTUALLY on the existing script, no?

Offline ScuD

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 10:34:30 AM »
Miloch, I have his interim updated version. No overwrites done by the mod.
Haven't heard from him in a while though so I do not know whether I should send it to you or not.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 01:11:17 PM »
Miloch, I have his interim updated version. No overwrites done by the mod.
Haven't heard from him in a while though so I do not know whether I should send it to you or not.
Well I dropped him a PM on SHS (and copied you) since sometimes he responds or PMs me there even when he's not active on the forums. I'll be out of town a couple weeks anyway (checking in rarely at best) so no hurry, but feel free to copy me with the mod if he doesn't respond by the time I get back :D. I've reviewed mods he's revised before at his request, so it wouldn't be anything new. At the least, I could probably determine whether it's good to release as is or needs anything else.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »
Just get my attention when somebody's ready to release something and I'll update the page.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Igneous

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 09:46:21 AM »
Would be great if we could finally get a bug-fixed, patch-friendly version after all these years. Thanks very much, ScuD and Miloch.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 11:41:38 PM »
Apparently a lot of the custom spells in the WeiDU Ascension scripts compiled as null references. So you get something like (in finabaz.bcs) "SpellNoDec(LastSeenBy(Myself),0)" instead of "SpellNoDecRES("ABAZ01",LastSeenBy(Myself))" or "ReallyForceSpellDead("finmel01",0)" instead of "ReallyForceSpellDeadRES("MELSPL10","finmel01")". Fortunately, most of the references are available in the original non-WeiDU mod but ugh, what a task. Just when I think I'm nearing the end of this update, something else rears its ugly head. I can see why erebusant may have done a runner before making this public. I'm switching the script installation from copying .bcs files to compiling .baf files (or patching existing ones), so hopefully WeiDU can catch any such bogus references (either natively or by some sort of MODDER flag).

Offline Adanedhel

• Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »
Any update on this? Last release I know of is 1.4.24 from 2009 november 30. Is that Erebusant's version?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: