Author Topic: This isn't DC's fault but I think this is the best place to ask for help?  (Read 12487 times)

Offline Ankhesenpaaten

• Planewalker
I am not in the least familiar with the Dungeon Crawl comic but I want to play this mod anyway.  Well, I do my usual routine to install the mod but find out I made a terrible mistake in having decided to try Allison.  Well I just get a message that I cannot install 2 mods at the same time or I will get bugs and to try and install DC after Setup Allison EXE is finished running.
What the heck???  I don't really know what that means.  I just know that I tried to run Allison so I could try to uninstall her but don't get the option to do so because of that stupid message saying to try again after Allison is finished running.  I can't see how it is doing that as I don't even have BG2 open at all.
Does anyone with any techno savvy know what to do?  I just pray it isn't the do a whole clean install thing...   :'(

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
I think this is the controversial weidu.lock thing but as I do not understand what the hell is going on with new versions of WeiDU I'm not sure what the fix is.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Mike1072

• Planewalker
From what I read in the other topic, if you know that you aren't running more than one copy of WeiDU at once, you should be able to resolve this by simply deleting the file "weidu.lock" in your BG2 directory.

Offline Ankhesenpaaten

• Planewalker
Thanks all I"ll do that deletion and see what happens. 

It worked!  I didn't see the other topic I'm sorry.  Thank you both!   :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 08:53:45 PM by Ankhesenpaaten »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Folks, please, pester the_bigg about this. If enough people are unhappy about this WeiDU feature, he'll remove it. (Which won't just make my day - it'll make my tenday at the very least).

Offline Cashews

• Planewalker
Folks, please, pester the_bigg about this. If enough people are unhappy about this WeiDU feature, he'll remove it. (Which won't just make my day - it'll make my tenday at the very least).

Well, heres one more pestering forum goer:

>:( Grrr... Arrr... Grrr >:( Bad new WeiDU feature, bad! Bad! Bad!

No seriously, can we start a petition or something? I usually enjoy and/or appreciate Bigg's work, but this... meh.

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
Already resolved - he has incorporated a text message and response when the error pops up, which allows you to remove the file and proceed, or permanently disable the feature.

I think I would prefer this approach to the reports of "this won't work" because of standard user error.

But if enough folks complain about it, I am sure that the bigg will remove the feature, and allow our mods to be messed up by folks again.

(This is a vote of "hey, stop trying to make things tough for a good user-friendly feature that just needs tweaking - put down the pitchfolks and back away from the strange glowing machine").

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
No, it hasn't been resolved yet - for the time being, the feature remains in Weidu 201, and what's worse, this weidu.lock file is going to stay there, if the installation stopped because of an error, as berelinde posted in Weidu froum.

But if enough folks complain about it, I am sure that the bigg will remove the feature, and allow our mods to be messed up by folks again.

That's what I'm hoping for - or we're in for a big headache, once Tweaks and BG1 NPC and other popular mods are released with v200.

Anyway, Weidu forums, please. :)

Offline Ankhesenpaaten

• Planewalker
I'm truly sorry for this.  I guess I'm one of the "idiots" the Bigg mentioned.  I never realized this was a WEIDU thing and since all I know how to do is a basic mod install I had no idea where to look for help.  I'm an idiot.   :'(

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: This isn't DC's fault but I think this is the best place to ask for help?
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 11:23:36 AM »
It's all right, we are here to help. :) When I bought Baldur's Gate, I couldn't *play* it for months because it seemed too complicated, let alone install mods! (I made some progress, though). I hope that now that the issue is resolved for you, you'll be able to enjoy Dungeon Crawl.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 07:40:15 PM »
No, it hasn't been resolved yet - for the time being, the feature remains in Weidu 201, and what's worse, this weidu.lock file is going to stay there, if the installation stopped because of an error, as berelinde posted in Weidu froum.
Please note that this happened while testing an installation of a pre-release version of my own mod. AFAIK, this isn't really a concern for the general public because PPG mods aren't released with the kinds of errors that stop an installation!

It is a concern for modders who are testing their mods prior during the alpha phase, but they can learn to delete weidu.lock.

But yeah, I'm not really big on this feature, either.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 12:41:45 AM »
Yeah, but the thing is, one mod with an error will stop the entire installation - and I have a nasty feeling there're a few of them lurking out there. Of course, in a dream world people will only download PPG and G3 mods all mods should install without error, but, alas, alas...

Offline Gort

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 03:12:25 AM »
... in a dream world people will only download PPG and G3 mods ...
you're mean=).
Unique Artifacts mod for BG2ToB or BGT.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: