Author Topic: Tower Of Deception Mod  (Read 11992 times)

Valiant

Tower Of Deception Mod
« on: March 30, 2007, 03:07:23 PM »
A new mod for Baldur´s Gate 2: Throne Of Bhaal was released. Just check it out on

http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showforum=117

Enjoy  ;D

Valiant  :)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Tower Of Deception Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 03:29:22 PM »
A +5 sword that can cast spells twice per round, in SoA?

Great work on the translations, but you might want to go over your original .tra files once more, too - I've noticed quite a few few typos/grammar glitches, and overall the text felt a bit rushed and heavy on repetitions.

Also, in several journal entries the mod seems to presume PC's motivation, i.e. "I have agreed because of honorable sum he was offering, 5000 gold." or "However, the book is magically sealed and because there's no one in your party who has enough power to remove all magical seals it's useless to you." - which limits roleplaying severely.

Valiant

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 03:29:12 AM »
I don´t feel like I rushed the text. I did my best, and after all the time I spent on it I won´t change it, sorry. Simply I have no time for this, real life has my priority now. About grammatical glithes: mod text was heavily corrected by someone who´s native english speaker, so I can´t hardly imagine what grammatical glithes could still be there... ???

About the sword: why not? Is it seems overpowered to you? Maybe so, but the class restrictions are good, there are not so many PC that can wield it. After all, Carsomyr +5 is also available in SoA, and you can get it in early stage of game, too... You know, BG2 is overpowered in global...

Offline Alarielle

• Disco Blob
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 05:45:33 AM »
I don´t feel like I rushed the text. I did my best, and after all the time I spent on it I won´t change it, sorry. Simply I have no time for this, real life has my priority now. About grammatical glithes: mod text was heavily corrected by someone who´s native english speaker, so I can´t hardly imagine what grammatical glithes could still be there... ???

It's a sad fact, but a huge proportion of native English speakers use terrible grammar.
'Can I swashbuckle through your drawers?' - Grim Squeaker

Alarielle: There's a good kind of dirty?
Andyr: It's the 'cool, kinky' dirty as opposed to the 'take a bath you fucking messy fuck' dirty :)

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 06:32:39 AM »
And it is a fact that even the most careful proofreader with the most flawless grammar can miss things.

I am a native English speaker with decent language skills, but that did not prevent me from making numerous spelling and punctuation errors in the mod I wrote. I've also had the luxury of several attentive and diligent proofreaders. They did a wonderful job, but I would not be surprised if something escaped their notice.

So you fix the local copy as corrections are posted, and put up a fixed version when you feel it is warranted. If you're using a decent text editor, and you should be, as there are many free ones, it takes under 3 seconds to make corrections using the search/replace function. Everyone has time for that.

Valiant

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 09:02:15 AM »
Berelinde, when I said I have no time for this, I meant it seriously. Because I really haven´t. But if you´ll be so kind and have nothing else to do, I mean more important, you should do it for me. Fix it if you want, then send it to me via mail, and I will add you to the readme. I will be very thankfull... :)

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 09:48:27 AM »
Ha! I've probably got more files on my back burner than I'll see the end of this lifetime, between my own mod and others. Maybe I'd get to it, you never know.

I provide support for my own mod, and happily fix things players find. After all, my work will be at least partially judged by my spelling and grammar, so it is in my best interests to make sure I fix player findings.

Like I said, I've got 3 seconds to respond to a post, or to fix a typo in my own mod, but not to proofread an entire mod for someone else.

If you read my post carefully, I didn't suggest that you should proofread your own work all over again, either. That would be an enormous commitment of time, and pointless, as you've already done so. I said you should just fix the individual corrections players make, and then update when you get enough to make an update worthwhile. Or not. It's your time, and your mod. If you want people to think you can't be bothered with spelling and grammar, it makes no difference to me.

I saw a bug reports thread on your forum. A lot of what shows up there will probably be related to spelling and/or grammar.

Valiant

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 10:40:56 AM »
Ok, enough, cut this off. If I will find some freetime, I will try to fix everythig I find in there, I promise. Of course I don´t want to make people think I can´t be bothered with thing like grammatical mistakes. Every mistake must be corrected, and me as an author I care about it a lot. So thank you for pointing me to it, but I have no time for this at the moment. When I find some, I´ll do it.

BTW, this thread was meant to be just an informing thread a new mod is out. Doesn´t have to deal with bugs found in. If you find some, including the spelling typos (as you already did), post it on the right place, not here. End of file.

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 01:03:38 PM »
While it may be true that most women are lying when they say that size doesn't matter, there are more constructive ways to compensate for a tiny dick than acting like a big one.  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:14:11 PM by Drew »
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Valiant

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 01:21:20 PM »
To Drew: Why are you saying this? Did I insult her in some way or what? All I said at the beginning was that I have no time for correcting things at the moment and later I said that when I find some, I will try to fix it all. I don´t have to compensate anything. If you would had a little child like me you would clearly understood what does it mean "do not have any free time".

And according to a tiny dick: it´s better to have a tiny dick than to have a tiny brain. Your case. Because only someone with a tiny brain can write something like you did. Especially when the discussion was only between me and Berelinde.

To Berelinde: Sorry if I insult you in any way. Really.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 01:23:08 PM »
Before everybody gets too carried away here--it's nice to see new mods from new developers. Valiant, one thing you seem to be learning now is that if you put your work out there for public consumption, you can't really control what people will say or what they will say about it. A little resiliency goes a long way towards improving your enjoyment of sharing your work with players.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 01:48:18 PM »
From what I've played so far, this seems quite neat. Yes, it has its flaws, but it's very promising. I haven't progressed terribly far because BG2 seems to crash every two minutes (I think this has more to do with my computer being constructed entirely from papier mache than it does with the mod).

Valiant

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 02:03:41 PM »
To JCompton: Yes, probably you´re right. I should learn this. According to the new developer: I´m in BG community from the times the old good TeamBG was running. I have created areas for whole towns for some mods (e.g. Hlondeth in CTB, or a village and forrest for BG addon CZ). I´m not so new. But the truth is  that this is my first mod... Shame on me... ;D

To SimDingO: I hope it is not caused by the mod. It wouldn´t be good at all.

Thank you guys, both of you...

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 02:12:29 PM »
Congrats to you, then, for getting one out there. And we've all been there, and some of us (like me) are still there. I am afraid that people really will and do say everything and anything to you, and you do have to try not to take it personally.

Which is why I was never offended by anything you said :)

Valiant

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 02:37:35 PM »
To Berelinde: No, you wrong, not all of us were there. But that doesn´t matter. BTW, maybe you were not offended, but somebody else was, of course without a good reason. So I had to answer in the same style.

One question: Did the mod run smoothly on your computer? I´m asking this because one of my testers has reported me the game is cutting when in mod´s areas. Although I don´t know why, areas are so small, only a few animations in every one of them... Strange.

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 05:38:49 PM »
Ok, enough, cut this off. If I will find some freetime, I will try to fix everythig I find in there, I promise. Of course I don´t want to make people think I can´t be bothered with thing like grammatical mistakes. Every mistake must be corrected, and me as an author I care about it a lot. So thank you for pointing me to it, but I have no time for this at the moment. When I find some, I´ll do it.

BTW, this thread was meant to be just an informing thread a new mod is out. Doesn´t have to deal with bugs found in. If you find some, including the spelling typos (as you already did), post it on the right place, not here. End of file.
The rude stuff is in bold.  Oh...and I actually have 2 kids.  One of whom is autistic.  I understand time issues just fine.
@Mr Compton: Don't worry.  I'm done.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 06:24:00 PM by Drew »
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
    • Azazello’s Music Profile at Last.fm
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 05:52:08 PM »
While it may be true that most women are lying when they say that size doesn't matter, there are more constructive ways to compensate for a tiny dick than acting like a big one.  Just a thought.

Lot of postings (about? by? for?) dicks lately. Wonder where that meme got started.

Valiant: Hey, I'm always interested in new quest mods. Let me savor your Hlondeth town in CtB first, then I'll give this mod a spin.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 11:44:17 AM by Azazello »
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls
========================================
"Deception has many faces. Truth...has only one."

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 06:02:23 PM »
Lot of postings about dicks (by and for?) lately.
You've read my sig, right?  I openly admit to being a dick. ;)

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 06:21:36 PM »
EDIT: I can't believe I just double posted.

Lazlow

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 11:44:30 PM »
I love this mod. I need some help though.

**********SPOILER ALERT******************

I just killed the guardian. Now I'm in the room with the shard. There's nothing to do. Did I miss something? How do I leave the tower?

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 01:47:41 AM »
You might want to check the part of the modder's post where he gave the link for the mod. That takes you to the forum. I don't know if he's going to check here often enough to be able to answer your question, althought there is always the chance that someone who reads this has played far enough to help you :)

Valiant

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 02:30:59 AM »
To Lazlow: The Astral Shard can be destroyed only by a great fire, so think about a spell that produce great fire, cast it and you´ll finally be able to escape from it... ;D Wands work as well as spells... No more clues... ;)

BTW, Berelinde was right, this is not a right topic for it. Next time go to my mod´s forum and post it there, please. Thank you for playing it.

Val  :D

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 06:52:12 AM »
I'd like to post on the mod forum, but unfortunately I'm banned from BlackWyrm.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 08:58:29 AM »
 ???
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 11:47:52 AM »
I think this mod is cool and I'd probably play if it I had BG1 installed :)

My main issue is with overpowered stuff, I usually avoid whole mods entirely solely for this, BUT then again such items can be avoided simply by not using them.
(http://www.geocities.com/arkevaul/btlbn2.gif)
SoA Release - Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, & more

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: